ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

False Floor

Audi TT 225
Well, I had the day off work and all my "bits" had arrived so I put the old man to good use and got him to give me a hand building the false floor for le cup :) I wanted to cover the exposed metal, but wasn't about to put the rear seats back in so this seemed the the best compromise! Car needs a good clean over the weekend but here are the pics.

It's made from 12mm thick MDF, ICE Carpet (Anthracite) 2x1m, foam wadding in the same size to stop it rattling about and a lot of staples underneath holding it all together! It's currently stuck down with velcro but will be bolted when I get some brackets ;) It took most of the day in fairness, was pretty plain sailing though thanks to the guide I read on here in the guides section :star:.

The only thing i'd do differently would be to buy 1.5m wide Carpet to avoid having the grain going in opposite directions for the two pieces!

floor1.JPG

floor2.JPG

floor3.JPG

floor4.JPG

floor5.JPG

PS, that's just a little rain on the seat ;)

M135i
You got any pics of underneath mate or any pics as you went along ? Looks very smart and just the sort of thing i was looking to do.

DCi 100
Not get those back seatbelts out if you want rid of the weight of the rear seats dude?

Looks a tidy job, I was thinking of just putting carpet over mine with no MDF etc. Then can just pull it up to stick things in the wheel well instead of the boot.

Audi TT 225
You got any pics of underneath mate or any pics as you went along ? Looks very smart and just the sort of thing i was looking to do.

There is a good guide here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=489327 (as i said, the only thing i'd change is to buy a bit wider Carpet ;o).

I don't have any progress pic's but the process I followed was this...

• Robbed a boot mat.
  • Measured the dimensions of everything, turned out I'd need two bits of wood with the following dimensions....
  • Back Piece - 600mm x 1100mm (from measuring the boot mat)
  • Front Piece - 620mm x 1180mm (from measuring the remaining space to cover)
  • Popped down the local wood place, got the wood cut exactly to the above dimensions, this turned out to be the perfect size! Cost me £9.99 so not bad!
  • Traced the boot mat onto the smaller bit of wood, if it doesn't quite fit don't worry, just trace from the back of the car (the big curve) and leave anything that doesn't fit the other end, this lost space will be made up by the other piece of wood ;)
  • Measured where to cut the other bit, see diagram below for how much to cut off each corner of this 2nd piece of wood.
  • Cut, I used an electric jigsaw with help from the old man, you can do this solo with clamps of course, we didn't bother.
  • Check it all fits and shave some off if necessary, mine was perfect though first time luckily ;)
  • Used some fabric glue to stick the wadding down (make sure you get the right side! I put the wadding on the back to stop the vibrations etc. If you want a nice cushy floor you could do both sides I guess!
  • Put the carpet on the other side, trim it a bit, doesn't need to be accurate as it will be stapled to the underside.
  • Use a staple gun to hold it all together.
  • Job done!
Total cost £31, £15 for the Carpet, £10 for the wood, £5 for the wadding and £1 for the fabric glue (used a whole tube lol)

this is the top left of the wood as you look from the front of the car to the back. (drivers side)
cut.JPG

back1.JPG

back2.JPG

back3.JPG

Last edited:
  Audi TT 225
Not get those back seatbelts out if you want rid of the weight of the rear seats dude?

Looks a tidy job, I was thinking of just putting carpet over mine with no MDF etc. Then can just pull it up to stick things in the wheel well instead of the boot.

Yea, they need to go ;) Was a really quick job removing the back seats, i've not even cleaned it properly underneath yet, lol. I can still get to the wheel well, i'm thinking of putting a little grab handle on the back piece so i can get to it nice and easy if i need to, problem with carpet is the sagging into the well

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Those speaker covers do nothing for me! the false floor looks good though :)

Audi TT 225
Those speaker covers do nothing for me! the false floor looks good though :)

Nor me, they were on when I got it, lol, there's still plenty to be done with it, but it's getting there, you should have seen what else i've already sorted, cough, silver grills, cough wolf-race alloys ;)

Audi TT 225
Cheers guys.

Yea, I may have gone a little overboard on the staples, at least it's not coming off! It's only the corners which are like that as they were a bit of a b**** in places ;)

The seats I bought from Ollie82 on here, he had the logo added to the seats when he bought them, not sure how much extra it cost mind, but they can stitch almost anything onto them if you're willing to pay the wonga ;)