ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Faster Broadband

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
am currently with BT and my internet is slow, really really slow...
ive ditched the BT HH and got a decent wireless router, but not changed anything.

god knows why I pay £50 a month for it!

my post code is CM7 9NF

no one really seems to offer superfast in my street, I assume there is nothing I can do. im fooked?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

Lob your number in the above and see what sync speed and services you’re able to get via openreach. I assume there isn’t any Virgin in your area? Worth checking if you’re not sure.

Also worth plugging a device directly onto your router and checking the speed your receive along with checking your sync speed on your router against what you ‘should’ be able to get using the above checker.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
How slow is slow? You should be able to get a decent fibre connection at that postcode. Can you post results from Speedtest.net?

Have you tried plugging directly into the router with an Ethernet cable to rule out WiFi issues?

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I have cheap slow broadband but it was super slow and variable.

Did the speed check and was almost non existent.

Engineer came and found two partial breaks in street.

It's still half of top number declared but 10 times faster than it was.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Can't get Virgin there, I'm not sure if they still do it but if your whole street signed up to say you wanted them to tell you when it was available, they would come and fibre your street.

First though, what are you supposed to be getting and what are you actually getting on speedtest.net?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

Lob your number in the above and see what sync speed and services you’re able to get via openreach. I assume there isn’t any Virgin in your area? Worth checking if you’re not sure.

Also worth plugging a device directly onto your router and checking the speed your receive along with checking your sync speed on your router against what you ‘should’ be able to get using the above checker.
wont be able to plug directly into router until tomorrow now

v9hEPd.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
How slow is slow? You should be able to get a decent fibre connection at that postcode. Can you post results from Speedtest.net?

Have you tried plugging directly into the router with an Ethernet cable to rule out WiFi issues?
am not plugged into router, am just on my laptop wireless. but speed test came back as 28mbps and 0.58 upload

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
wont be able to plug directly into router until tomorrow now

View attachment 1486013

From this it looks as though your router is syncing at 39.61Mbps and the max you’re likely to get is 46.4Mbps, however your upload is very low compared with what your line can provide but that might be capped by your ISP but I assume those observed speeds are sync rates I’m not 100% sure. With your upload speed so slow it will effect general browsing especially with multiple phones etc connected so I would raise a fault with your ISP to have a look into it as a first port of call. The download speed difference between what you’ve just tested and the observed speed could just be a WiFi ‘issue’ as such, but sorting the upload will help for sure.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I will plug in tomorrow and report back.

Given like many people I'm working from home 100% it's causing me lots of zoom and teams issues

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
At the start of lock down I purchased this

So binned off the home hub 5 as I knew I was going to need faster Internet.

So I have a little white by modem plugged into the above Asus router

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I will plug in tomorrow and report back.

Given like many people I'm working from home 100% it's causing me lots of zoom and teams issues

Lack of upload will not help with this at all, I was using 3Mbps upload on a Skype for Business call today and you have 0.8Mbps available for every device on your network.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Agree- your upload speed looks to be the issue. If it’s still that low when plugged directly in to the router I’d raise a fault with BT. It’s probably the first thing they’ll ask you to do anyway.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
From this it looks as though your router is syncing at 39.61Mbps and the max you’re likely to get is 46.4Mbps, however your upload is very low compared with what your line can provide but that might be capped by your ISP but I assume those observed speeds are sync rates I’m not 100% sure. With your upload speed so slow it will effect general browsing especially with multiple phones etc connected so I would raise a fault with your ISP to have a look into it as a first port of call. The download speed difference between what you’ve just tested and the observed speed could just be a WiFi ‘issue’ as such, but sorting the upload will help for sure.
so plugged in and here are the results...

I assume next I should plug the BT homehub back in and do the same test with that?

0Oh3Yh.jpg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
They may well ask you to do that, but given the observed speeds you posted above, im not 100% sure it would make alot of difference. I would honestly just give BT a call and say that you have a problem with your upload speed (assuming its not capped by your package).

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
They may well ask you to do that, but given the observed speeds you posted above, im not 100% sure it would make alot of difference. I would honestly just give BT a call and say that you have a problem with your upload speed (assuming its not capped by your package).
na, unlimited. I pay for ultra high speed. so shouldn't be.

ill give them a call, im lead to believe call after 8pm and India is closed and you get through to a UK person.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
That upload is really cack, although download isn’t much better for fibre.

I imagine they’ll want the HH5 plugged back in. The other thing they’ll ask you to do is try plugging in to the test socket on your phone line to rule out any internal interference in your house, so may as well try that now too.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
That upload is really cack, although download isn’t much better for fibre.

I imagine they’ll want the HH5 plugged back in. The other thing they’ll ask you to do is try plugging in to the test socket on your phone line to rule out any internal interference in your house, so may as well try that now too.

Will do tomorrow, thanks

Seat Ibiza FR
Seen this advertised near me recently in Southampton. 900mbps download and 900mbps upload for £25 a month, i'm currently paying just shy of £40 for 100mbps download and 10mbps upload with Virgin.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Just phoned bt and went though to a UK call centre, instantly she came back and said yes a fault has come up straight away.

Thanks to Cs for the help

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They're pretty decent to be fair, I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago.

Phoned up and got almost straight through to a UK person, quick check and they confirmed an issue.
Organised an engineer to come the next day.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
So BT sent me a brand new home hub when I phoned to say I was having issues. They have phoned me to confirm they have fixed the line fault.

Just had the new HH plugged in and I'm getting a good download and 6mb upload speed.

Plug my fancy Asus in and I get half the download and 0.49 upload.

So could be my new Asus setup?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
So BT sent me a brand new home hub when I phoned to say I was having issues. They have phoned me to confirm they have fixed the line fault.

Just had the new HH plugged in and I'm getting a good download and 6mb upload speed.

Plug my fancy Asus in and I get half the download and 0.49 upload.

So could be my new Asus setup?

Sounds like it but I’m not sure how unless there is some weird QoS at work. I’ve never owned an Asus router/modem but are you able to set it up as just a router rather than replacing the home hub and use that as the modem?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Sounds like it but I’m not sure how unless there is some weird QoS at work. I’ve never owned an Asus router/modem but are you able to set it up as just a router rather than replacing the home hub and use that as the modem?
I got the phone line coming in, going into one of these BT white boxes, then going into my asus router.

I thought I could plug my laptop straight into the bt white box, but I don't get internet.

I could just plug the new BT HH in, but sadly then ive got a spare £150 router :(

LtapZZ.jpg

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I think you need to ditch the white box. Plug the HH in, and then plug the router into that.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
There’s not much point unless it gives you better coverage than the bt one.

I would personally just sell the Asus router.