ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally. I bought an ///M3.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Expect to go through a rear spring every 20k or so miles.

Might as well be made from elastic!

Renaultsport Clio 197
CSL wheels are a must for the m3.
Gunmetal ofcourse :)
awesome car. I love everything about them except their exhaust note and the fact they are a bit quicker then my car :p

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Expect to go through a rear spring every 20k or so miles.

Might as well be made from elastic!

Well my orignals were still in good nick! Whether or not they have done 120k or not who knows :p

Dave, make it sound like this please

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Another update, not very exciting, but meh, i like to keep it all noted down ...

Took the M3 home to Cornwall for Christmas, averaged 31 mpg there & back which i was pleased with, especially seeing as i wasnt really hanging around ... still got through 100 quid in VPower, but hey ho, Christmas money paid for it lol.

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

Then got back and purchased some more bits & bobs to get it back to minty fresh:
  • Eibach Proline springs - although im not positive on whether i'll fit these, might just get 2 x standard rear springs instead
  • 2 x rear trailing arm bushes - might as well do them whilst the springs are being changed, only £40 for the pair from C3BMW.
  • 2 x front lower rear wishbone bushes - slight wobble from the steering, again, prob not ready to be done, but it'll need alignment after RTAB/spring fitting, so might as well do them at the same time. Bit more expensive at 80 quid for the pair.
  • 10 x floor mat clips - only a couple missing, but bought some spares as well.
  • 2 x brand new foglights - only one is broken, but wanted them to match perfectly :eek:
  • Robert Stern BMW Tax Disc Holder - now known as Rybrook, but as Stern were the original supplying dealer, the geek in me wants their tax disc holder.
Just need to attack the interior with Glipton cleaner & condition, fit the shorter gearknob, re-glue the doorshut trims, get the carbon cube front door handles refurbed and it'll be 'finished', i.e. back to my perfect OEM+ spec & condition. Still plenty to do then ...

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Plans sound good, that colour has really grown on me!

e91 330d/type r mini
by heck your getting through some money on this car :(
get the eibachs fit they drive lovely on them and drop it very little but just enough to know.
hopefully i will be back in another steel grey m3 by saturday :) we have agreed a deal with the megane so its just the case of meeting up and checking the m3 over,cant bloody wait 2 months away has been hell,
that vid above just shows m3's are getting to cheap and getting in the wrong hands :(

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
by heck your getting through some money on this car :(

Nah, not that bad actually!! Have spent just over a grand so far but still have the old wheels & nav to sell, which should realise 300 quid or so. I do keep a rainy day fund for it though, for when it bites me in the ass lol. I dunno, whereas i wanted to modify the clio's, i've always wanted to just get the BMW's back to standard - anything else just seems wrong.

Anyways, i bought it knowing full well that it needed (in my eyes) about a grand spending on cosmetics, & i'm currently on target for that according to my spreadsheet ... bargain hunting FTW ;)

Bet you cant wait to get back into an M3 though!! They really are superb cars, that actually do pretty much everything really well!!

e91 330d/type r mini
Nah, not that bad actually!! Have spent just over a grand so far but still have the old wheels & nav to sell, which should realise 300 quid or so. I do keep a rainy day fund for it though, for when it bites me in the ass lol. I dunno, whereas i wanted to modify the clio's, i've always wanted to just get the BMW's back to standard - anything else just seems wrong.

Anyways, i bought it knowing full well that it needed (in my eyes) about a grand spending on cosmetics, & i'm currently on target for that according to my spreadsheet ... bargain hunting FTW ;)

Bet you cant wait to get back into an M3 though!! They really are superb cars, that actually do pretty much everything really well!!
the bloke who bought mine has spent silly money on it (showtime on cutters) hes replaced full interior all discs pads had some vanos bolts done, diff bolts, god only knows why but if that makes him happy lol
yeah the m3's are a great alrounder and do everything really well, not the fastest car out there but plenty quick enough,i like the r26 but there is something about the m that i got to have back in my life but i just cant put my finger on it :)
roll on the weekend i say

e91 330d/type r mini
i picked my m3 up last night and that has eibachs on and spacers alround and feels lovely to drive, does tramline a little more with the spacers on but livable.
god its good to be back in an M, you can shove your megane lol
here is my new toy :)
6bf8e0a7.jpg

8f056c3f.jpg

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
god its good to be back in an M, you can shove your megane lol

:rofl:

Looks great! Do very much have a soft spot for the silvery grey ones, was what i was looking for originally, before i found the Cadburys Dairy Milk edition ... bet you missed the rasp the most didnt you? Followed by the sound of six ITB's at nearly 8 thousand revs.

e91 330d/type r mini
:rofl:

Looks great! Do very much have a soft spot for the silvery grey ones, was what i was looking for originally, before i found the Cadburys Dairy Milk edition ... bet you missed the rasp the most didnt you? Followed by the sound of six ITB's at nearly 8 thousand revs.
yeah i definately missed the 8k rasp :) the m3 just feels so much more solid around you and everything is alot heavier.
this is my 3rd steel grey m3 now and still love it.
happy days :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
More bits changed at lunchtime - New floor mat clips, Robert Stern BMW Tax Disc Holder and 2 x new foglights as the passenger one finally decided to drop its glass all over the place ...

Before:
IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

After:
IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

To be honest, i could have just changed one, but they were only 20 each, so my OCD told me to get them both done ;)

Also decided against the Eibach's as i still have 1 year to go on the 10 year subframe 'warranty' and tbh, neither the RTAB's or front bushes really need changing yet either. No point spending out 400 quid on parts/fitting, then another geo at 60 quid when its not really required! Especially considering the 600 quid ive spent on fuel this month lol.

Has only just been realigned, so ill simply pick up a couple of rear springs & whack them on over the next few weeks.

Off to Cardiff tonight and will hopefully be having a play around the Brecons/Black Mountain tomorrow afternoon ...

Last edited:
  Renault Traffic
very nice m3 mate my friend just picked up his brand new 61 plate m3 in space grey such a cool car :) just costly buggers to keep on the road haha

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Did you buy any CSL wheels yet? I took some CSL reps off of my one. They are anthracite. I will let em go cheap if interested.

e4c6c8c0.jpg

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Thought i'd stick a couple of pictures up now the outside of the car is finished, & in the latter photos ... clean.

First up a weekend away to Cardiff for Sarah's dads birthday a couple of weeks back. As Richard (her bro) lives quite close to the Brecons it made sense for us to take two cars over from Basingstoke and make the most of the scenic, & quite spirited driving opportunities that can be had over the Brecons. Black Mountain road was rather epic, although in all seriousness, the M3 wouldnt know which way the Trophy would have gone - narrow roads, big drops, RWD + wet road = not exactly idea.

Some of the other more open/well sighted roads were pretty epic though. As it was the 1st proper drive of the M3 is really is quite amazing how once you are a bit more 'committed' it transforms from being a bit of a heavy, jerky, slow responding (throttle) truck-like creature, into a thing of immense capability. With Sport mode on, & exploring the upper limits of the rev range, by god its quick, & the noise, well despite the fact it was ruddy cold, the window was permanently down, much to Sarah's disappointment - but my ears satisfaction!! Heel & toe is easy and the whole car really comes together well as a package.

Only problem is that 8k rpm in 3rd is about 100, so as you can imagine, on UK roads, you do find yourself changing up at 5k purely for the sake of your licence - which is a shame as the car really comes alive in a blast from 2nd, through 3rd, to the top end of 4th - on track obviously.

Anyways, pictures. The TT is a 3.2DSG belonging to Sarah's mum, the MCS has 240bhp and is Richard's and well, the M3 is mine :approve:

IMG_1408.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

DSC05335.jpg

DSC05333.jpg

DSC05336.jpg

Then onto last week, which was the annual Surrey Rolling Road meet. Now normally, it being a ClioSport meet i would take the Trophy, but that put out 175bhp in September, so no point taking that again ... so the M3 got washed, airdried and convoyed down with the other BMW's in the FailSport group ...

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

And on the rollers:
IMG_1422.jpg

Luckily for me, its fairly healthy :D
IMG_1427-1.jpg

So all in all, a great couple of weeks for car stuff, now i just need to lavish some attention on the Trophy ...

BMW F21 125d
Nice one Dave, clean pictures look great in low light such a changing colour, mines it at an independent now getting an Inspection 1, brake fluid change and new stoppers put on. Also I'm having M-Track enabled this week hopefully so I can really learn how to drive it as I find the DSC too invasive at the minute. Been meaning to ask, how's the drainpipe mod working out for you? Any improvement when cold in non sport mode?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Awesome machine. Proper lovely.

It's almost a shame it's so fast, I imagine really enjoying it on those roads isn't possible (unless you had them closed ofc). It's actually one of the nice things about the clio's, you can have a right laugh without getting to REALLY silly speeds.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Nice one Dave, clean pictures look great in low light such a changing colour, mines it at an independent now getting an Inspection 1, brake fluid change and new stoppers put on. Also I'm having M-Track enabled this week hopefully so I can really learn how to drive it as I find the DSC too invasive at the minute. Been meaning to ask, how's the drainpipe mod working out for you? Any improvement when cold in non sport mode?

It is a lovely colour isnt it! As you say, i love the way it looks different in pretty much every photo/lighting - got a real depth to it even at the moment as well, so god knows how it would look if a proper detailer got their hands on it ... instead of a pleb with a bucket & sponge like myself ;)

Will be interesting to know your thoughts on the M-track mode actually, i generally turn mine off in the dry as i dont like the random intervention/power cut that the DSC gives when pushing on - although i do find that it will allow a little slip in the damp before it reigns it back in! In the wet though, im sad to say its stays permantly on lol. Dont really fancy an M3 shaped hole in a wall/fence anytime soon with me staring back at the road wondering just what happened :eek:

Drainpipe mod? In all seriousness, i cant say ive noticed a difference really. Although i do always idle the car for a couple of minutes before driving off anyway (mostly to defrost the windows in the morning) so dont really suffer from the jerkiness that others seem to moan about. Only use Sport mode when pushing on really, find it quite a jerky drive normally, so leave it off unless heel & toe is likely to be required ...

Awesome machine. Proper lovely.

It's almost a shame it's so fast, I imagine really enjoying it on those roads isn't possible (unless you had them closed ofc). It's actually one of the nice things about the clio's, you can have a right laugh without getting to REALLY silly speeds.

Thanks Rob, i absolutely adore it :D :D :D

You are indeed correct about the speed issue trhough, whilst it may sound daft, it really does push home how excellent the clio is! I can thrash the ar5e off that in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th and still be well under 3 figures (on track of course) whilst still doing 35mpg. Or i can trundle to work & get 40 -which is partly why i just insured it again.

Essentially, I really need to stop using the M3 as a daily, for one its too special to sit on the motorway for 100 miles a day, but secondly, its really quite expensive - 3k miles last month (2 trips home to Cornwall over normal mileage) = £650 of V-Power :dead: In all seriousness, whilst i'm supposed to be saving for a house, its that type of use that not only massively devalues the car (& my deposit lol), but makes it quite difficult to justify having the thing in the 1st place ...

Z4
Looking good mate, lovely colour.

I know exactly what you mean about the top end of 3rd gear! It's absolutely fantastic, but not suited for road driving unfortunately. One of the reasons I got the 182 tbh, I found the M3 almost too smooth for general driving (for a weekend type car for me) and when giving it the beans I was always looking in the mirror for a T5! Not really justified criticisms on the car itself, can hardly criticise it for being too awesome lol.