ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finchspeed 172 PH2 trackday car

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I bought a clio just over a month ago with 84,000 miles on the clock with the intention of using it mainly for doing track days and enjoying the welsh roads :).

It needed some work doing on it to get it back to its best.

# None of the xenons work
# rattle on acceleration coming from the the front end. engine or gearbox mount.
# CV Boot joint needs replacing
# new bonnet catch and cable required
# laquer peeled on rear quarter

All of the above will be carried out with alot more jobs in order to get it readyt for the track !

Time is the issue at the moment !

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Project%20clio%20Trackday%20car

Last edited:

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
The wheels are nasty 17 inch TSW alloys, i bought this car as a project to improve. The wheels will be the first thing to be removed and replaced for some 16 inch alloys

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thought about 15s? If its a track focused car, the tyres are nearly half the price with 15s.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
First job was to try and identify what was the issue with none of the xenons working ! Never had a car with xenons either so all a new challenge for me !

First thing was fuses were checked just to see it wasnt somethink as simple as this.

Next step was to remove the front bumper to gain access and remove headlamps for further investigation.

Ive never owned a clio or a renault and bought this with the intention to make it into a trackday car and to hopefully improve it.

I replaced both ballast units with brand new hella ones and also fitted two new xennon bulbs, a new ignitor was also required and the xenons were now working !

Attachments

• 353.JPG
    353.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 354.JPG
    354.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 356.JPG
    356.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
365.JPG

367.JPG

369.JPG

370.JPG

371.JPG

Purchased some 172 alloys so that i could remove the alloys that were on the car when i bought it. tyres need replacing so just a temporary measure until i decide what alloys to eventually put on it !

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
375.JPG My first car was a 1.4 sri, owned 10 years now

376.JPG I know most people will probably hate it

377.JPG I fitted a 2.0 16v fully rebuilt in 2005 !

384.JPG afew pic together, old and new !

385.JPG

Going to borrow the alloys of the corsa as there are more or less new tyres just until i get all my jobs done and decide what alloys to fit to the clio. :approve:

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
359.JPG NGK R platinum plugs installed

360.JPG New 8mm ignition leads357.JPG

358.JPG Pipercross induction kit installed

Attachments

• 361.JPG
    361.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 190

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Replaced alloys with these just until all the jobs are complete.
Mille Miglia T12's, they dont produce these any more, would have been nice in 16 inch

They look really well but will only be on until i fit my KW coilovers next week. Ive got some 16 inch OZ alloys i will be running for track days

391.JPG

396.JPG

400.JPG

401.JPG

402.JPG

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
The weight reduction starts here !

403.JPG

Removal of the upper dash first, airbag units and steering wheel.

405.JPG

Front seats removed , followed by lower dash and carpet

406.JPG

Rear seats also removed.

409.JPG

Started cleaning floorplan of car !

410.JPG

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Got alot to fit but time and money is always a factor !

My dash is away at a local firm getting flocked,hopefully get it back on tuesday.

going to get this back into the car before fitting my new seats.

Off to Demon Tweeks in abit to pick up my steering boss and other subframe.

Hopefully all this workwill be worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the comments

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Havent really progressed this week, stupid wheel stuck in drivers side hub, tried removing it but it damaged the thread and bits of the bolt are stil there !

My dash is at a Local Company Getting Flocked as we speak, hopefully getting it back this weekend so i can fit it back into the car and get my bucket seats, harnesses and wheel in.

Hopefully should have some pics of the dash work very soon.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Wow looking awesome Raj, cant wait to get it back. These guys are top blokes, so informotive and helpful.

I think there work speaks for itself and they definately know what there talking about.

I will get some photo's up when i get it back so people can see the quality of Autoflocks work.

I would strongly recommend you talk to these guys if your interested in getting some flocking done.

Top work raj looks awesome :approve:

Stage 3 Spec Fiesta RST
Sorry for the hyjack Mike,

Full Dash £109.99
Repaires £10.00

Postage is £15.00 each way aplus an additional £7.50 package on the return postage.

Glove box will be done tomorrow Mike.

Regards

Raj

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
No worries Raj

Think i might want to look into installing some guages at some point.

will have a chat with you to see what the options are

Stage 3 Spec Fiesta RST
Mike no probs pal,

I think a custom gauge pod to replace the centre part where the clock/trip comp sit would be a good option. Ive had a good look at it and the plastic welds are simple to drill and remove so this is defo on the cards. Will give you a ring tomorrow to give you a full update.

Glad your happy so far

Raj

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Just got my Flocked dash back from AutoFlock motor sport today, looks fantastic ! Really really happy with it :approve:

Just fitted it along with my new steering wheel, looks really good.

I will be getting some pics up very soon, to sunny outside to get any decent pics

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
005-2.jpg

Drivers side inner CV boot rubber split, needs to be removed and replaced with a new OEM driveshaft.

006-2.jpg

Old brakes and shocks to be removed and replaced with new Brembo discs and new suspension.

007-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Got My dash back from Autoflock Motorsport.

Theyve done a cracking job on it, looks so much better inside the car now.

001.jpg

They sorted out all the imperfections prior to flocking the dash.

View attachment 39984

EXCUSE THE WIRING LOOM MESS LOL !

003.jpg

View attachment 39986

005.jpg

My camera phone pics really dont do it justice !

001.jpg

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
View attachment 47445DSCF0263.JPGDSCF0267.JPGDSCF0268.JPG

New Genuine Renault driveshaft fitted drivers side.

Inner CV was damaged so i decided to replace now rather than having problems when i finally put the car on the road !

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
DSCF0113.JPGDSCF0112.JPGDSCF0106.JPGDSCF0107.JPG

Seats and wheel test fitted along with the flocked dash.

Feels so much nicer with the seats and wheel and dash, feels alot more racey and kind of forget that its a clio !

Need to get cracking and get the KW Variant 2 on and then get the OZ alloys on !

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
DSCF0271.JPGDSCF0269.JPG

Next on the List will be fitting these to the car !

I run the variant 1 on my corsa and they are superb !

It will be on rails on these !

That dash is looking good. What brand are them coilovers mate, are the rears adjustable aswell, what is the range of drop on these then

Liam

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
The Coilovers are KW Variant 2 adjustable height and damping front and rear . Will check waht the range is on them.

I cant comment on the keeping clean of the flocked dash as the car hasnt moved off the drive since i bought it 6 months ago ! I think you can get a special brush t clean them.

Hoping to get in on the road i the next month and put it through an mot !

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Suspension is now on, New Brembo grooved discs and pads on front< just need to bleed them today and adjust suapension height as it is slammed on the front so going to raise it.

will upload some more pics.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I was going to say is mine iceberg ? it doesnt seem to be quite silver, is there a hint of blue in the paint ?

Hopefully have it on the road soon now ive pulled my finger out, got 4 cars so progress is slow ! The clio has been of the road since march when i bought it, wait until it warms up and get on the track then !

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
I was going to say is mine iceberg ? it doesnt seem to be quite silver, is there a hint of blue in the paint ?

Hopefully have it on the road soon now ive pulled my finger out, got 4 cars so progress is slow ! The clio has been of the road since march when i bought it, wait until it warms up and get on the track then !

Yes mate ph2 172's are iceberg, as you say a bluey/silver

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Looking forward to seeing this finished and out on track this year dude. Flocking process was interesting to read through-final result looks real nice. Kudos to Raj. :cool:

Last edited:

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Yeah i cant wait to get it on the track either. will be taking it down to demon tweeks within the next month and getting the alignment done ready for the track.

Need to get and exhaust system too at somepoint.

Got a Nissan 200sx on the go at the minute so time and money are both exhausted with having to work aswell !