ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flamer Gets Serious - Cage Content

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I haven't bought it for looks, I've bought it primarily for safety as the car is going to be used by me for work. I want to make it as safe as possible and it serves that purpose nicely. It has made the whole car significantly stiffer, so handling wise there is a difference.

I get on with you Chip but sometimes you seem to spend your life on here criticising others efforts. Before you 'assume' I'm doing it for 'looks' you might want to actually ask me. But yes, it does look very nice as well.

If you have done it for handling, then you should have connected it through to the front strut tops mate, as you wont even get half the improvements (in fact probably not even a quarter realistically although that is of course a guess) without doing so, the rear of the clio is a dirty great beam and the strut tops make no different at all at the rear to handling as they only support the shock and not anything that effects the geometry. There is of course some flex in the cabin section of the shell, but as you have only joined to that once near the front at the bottom and not high up at the front as well, you are going to do little to really make that more rigid either.

If you were to take data the front strut tops and rear beam mounts and front wishbone inner mounts as your points of interest (as its the relationship between those that effects the handling) you will find that a dash dodger cage with no ties forward and no ties to the A pillar will do very little to improve the movement of those points relative to each other, where as a "proper" (apologies for using an emotive word that therefore makes yours sound improper, but handling wise thats the reality) cage will do a lot to keep those points firmly located relative to each other during hard cornering.

From a safety point of view, its a worthwhile enough investment, as although the chances of you ever getting badly hurt in a clio on a trackday while properly strapped in are very slim, yours are even slimmer now.

I do indeed spend my life on here constructively critisising others efforts, as its a good way for people to learn about their cars if someone like me explains why something might be good at one thing and not so good at another thing.

Your car and your opinion is the only one that matters though ultimately so I have no idea why you are taking my comments so personally when they arent aimed at you personally.

And BTW while you are sat there taking it all personally, here is a picture of my car:

DSC_0725.jpg

And you can see that many of the criticisms I just made of your car are true of the cage in my mk1 clio currently as well, as although it does locate a bit further forward as its not a dash dodger, crucially it doesnt tie into the a pillars, and it doesnt tie into the front strop tops.
At some point I will probably improve upon that situation by tieing it in better, but for now Im happy with it being there for safety improvements and cause I like the look of it.

So if it helps mate, just re-read my comments and imagine I am talking about my cage not yours when you think I am being nasty to you. FLOL

The "you are only doing it for looks" was paretly meant as joke though by the way, this was given away by the "lol" at the end of the sentance, sadly these little acronyms we use dont always do a 100% perfect job of providing context to what we are saying,

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Don't worry - I don't think your being nasty, else I wouldn't reply. Im not taking it personally, clearly my iphone typing is not letting me convey that i havent had asense of humour loss :) It's primarily in there so if clients drive it and goof up then I can be safe in the knowledge I did everything possible to prevent them injuring themselves. Lets hope they / I never test it. You're right, the chances are slim, but even slimmer now so it's good piece of mind for me.

Will the Mk1 be ready for Bedford? Or will you have finished forging the Ph1?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Don't worry - I don't think your being nasty, else I wouldn't reply. Im not taking it personally, clearly my iphone typing is not letting me convey that i havent had asense of humour loss :) It's primarily in there so if clients drive it and goof up then I can be safe in the knowledge I did everything possible to prevent them injuring themselves. Lets hope they / I never test it. You're right, the chances are slim, but even slimmer now so it's good piece of mind for me.

Anything that allows you to show due diligence in a court of law while letting heavily lawyered up clients out in it can only be a good thing, lol

Will the Mk1 be ready for Bedford? Or will you have finished forging the Ph1?
Honest answer mate is that I dont know sadly.
Ive got a lot of work to do on both cars, and enough time to comfortably do one, or possibly do both, and I of course will be making the stupid decision of no doubt ending up with both of them nearly done and having a spare ticket while taking only the mrs daily along despite us buying 2 places which are intended for the mk1 and the turbo. lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Be good to see one of them, i still haven't seen either :(

Well the mk1 is only just about to hit the road properly for the first time since Ive had it in the new year, but the turbo was at IIRC 5 different trackdays last year even though Ive not had it long, must just have somehow worked out so they were the ones you werent at I guess!

Will deffo be out in both of them a lot more next year, although buying another house possibly so probably going to cut about a dozen or so days out of the normal list and just do the main ones not literally every one I can manage to get to like normal, lol

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Looking good mate, the cars come a long way since seeing it at that Ktec R'R day last year/early this year cant remember! :S

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
After seeing this yesterday I have to say that I'm very impressed with both the quality and fit. Looks awesome too!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That looks brilliant with the Trophy spoiler! I don't like that steering wheel though.

Do you mean you dont like the wheel itself, or the white paint?

I think its a fantastic wheel but would avoid such a bright colour just as it can be a bit of a glare if the sun is in the wrong place I would imagine.

Do you mean you dont like the wheel itself, or the white paint?

I think its a fantastic wheel but would avoid such a bright colour just as it can be a bit of a glare if the sun is in the wrong place I would imagine.
The white paint, I think they look much better in standard guise. I suppose it fits in well with the colour scheme though - the cage looks brilliant in white against the red paint of the car.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
The white paint, I think they look much better in standard guise. I suppose it fits in well with the colour scheme though - the cage looks brilliant in white against the red paint of the car.

Cheers, the wheel does look better in the flesh. Photos make it a bit 'shiny' and not very clear in respect to the renault logo / renaultsport text. Just waiting for my boot mat to turn up now, the padding for the cage arrived yesterday so I need to cable tie that on in the relevant places. Luke took some photos this weekend, with a 'proper' camera and significantly better photography skills than me, so you may be persuaded on the wheel in those! Glad you like the trophy spoiler, I was torn at first whether to cup spoiler or trophy spoiler, but now its on I really like it and glad I held out for a trophy one.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Love the fact it's on standard wheels! keep them!

White interior bits look gash mind.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Deffo not white it looks so cheap.

If you're getting pads for the cage I'd pick up that in them - maybe alcantara strips and anthracite wheel center and knob.

Black Gold Trophy
Looks good...

I would have painted the cage flame red tbh and left the wheel/dash strips alone, but meh...

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I prefered the subtleness of the car before.. properly unassuming at Llandow :eek:

Although it is a nice looking cage ;)

Clio 172
Like it Oli looks smart. What's with the car being 'used by clients'? I'd get the dash top flocked black as well to get the full on motorsport feel and the benefit of no glare from the sun. Whewre was the sterring wheel from? Not keen on the white bit but I like the look of the wheel overall.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Like it Oli looks smart. What's with the car being 'used by clients'? I'd get the dash top flocked black as well to get the full on motorsport feel and the benefit of no glare from the sun. Whewre was the sterring wheel from? Not keen on the white bit but I like the look of the wheel overall.

Cheers Andy, good shout on getting the dash flocked. In regards to 'the clients driving the car', I have a number of friends who are also clients to the business I work for who want to use the car on track. They take me skiing and things so I intend to return the favour by bringing some of them to select track days and let them use the car through the day. Just good tool for networking and business generation mate.

Steering wheel - 330mm Oreca wheel (on k-tecs website) that I had sprayed and the RS sticker put on before it was lacquered. When you see it in the flesh you'll be swung on the white ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Looking good and think the cage looks great. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh and steal some ideas for my build.

Cheers Pete - I'll hopefully see you Monday night at Longbridge, you can have a sniff around it if you want / we can nip out for a quick spin if it helps give you ideas for the project. You bringing the phase 1 tomorrow?

Clio 172
Cheers Andy, good shout on getting the dash flocked. In regards to 'the clients driving the car', I have a number of friends who are also clients to the business I work for who want to use the car on track. They take me skiing and things so I intend to return the favour by bringing some of them to select track days and let them use the car through the day. Just good tool for networking and business generation mate.

Steering wheel - 330mm Oreca wheel (on k-tecs website) that I had sprayed and the RS sticker put on before it was lacquered. When you see it in the flesh you'll be swung on the white ;)

I see, need to make sure none of your client friends bend it then. Look forward to catching up with you at Bedford should be a good day out.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah, the only thing they pay for is trackday insurance, so if they do bend it I'll be covered! Bedford should be good, flamer garage for the win! First time I've done Bedford, looking forward to it. Be good to catch up mate.