ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flamer Gets Serious - Cage Content

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Firstly, apologies for the pic heavy, poor photo quality (weather isn't exactly great) thread. The flamer has got a little impractical this week ;)

Project thread for spec is here; http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?612638-Cub-172-s-Flamer-Project&p=9165029#post9165029

Let me know what you think, good and bad;

SideOnBetter.jpg

RearStraightOn.jpg

RearSide.jpg

RearLow.jpg

Inside.jpg

InsideSeats.jpg

FrontSide.jpg

FrontFullJPG.jpg

SteeringWheel.jpg

Better photos next week hopefully, if I can bend Lukes arm to use his photography skills as mine are weak at best. :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Looks great. Not a fan of stock wheels on a car like that though. Turini's would look better (bah).

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looks superb mate, really good!

Now, I love your car on the standard wheels. However, I think white 2118's would be the way to go ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Looks great. Not a fan of stock wheels on a car like that though. Turini's would look better (bah).

Cheers Luke, I'll be getting some track day tyres on either Turinis or 2118s, so I can play about with the wheels a bit. I love the stock wheels, but I know what you mean - with the cage it doesn't look quite right anymore on the stock wheels.

330i. E30 Touring.
Looks better in the flesh than in your terrible pics. ;)

Really decent fit and finish on the cage too!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks rather serious lol - what cage is it?

One thing i would suggest however (unless you drive around with a helmet on all the time) is to cover all of the front section with heavy duty foam padding. If you whack your bonce on that in an impact without a helmet on it will cause some serious damage to your head!!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Looks rather serious lol - what cage is it?

One thing i would suggest however (unless you drive around with a helmet on all the time) is to cover all of the front section with heavy duty foam padding. If you whack your bonce on that in an impact without a helmet on it will cause some serious damage to your head!!

Its made by a company called 'Caged Laser'. They used to be the 'roll cage people'. They make all the cages for the caterham, westy and mx5 race series.

I've got some padding on order Davey boy, because I thought exactly the same as you! Padding will be black.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Unfortunately the standard door bars don't fit with the seats (seats are too wide). I'll get some custom ones made up but for now its slightly more practical without them anyway mate.

Yep padding is on route.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Unfortunately the standard door bars don't fit with the seats (seats are too wide). I'll get some custom ones made up but for now its slightly more practical without them anyway mate.

Yep padding is on route.

Ah fair enough, TBH its not like they are likely to be needed, but then realistically neither is the cage, its one of those things people do "because racecar" but TBH as you arent rallying and hence are unlikely to do more than just bounce off some armco its all pointless anyway really, looks good though, lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Its made by a company called 'Caged Laser'. They used to be the 'roll cage people'. They make all the cages for the caterham, westy and mx5 race series.

I've got some padding on order Davey boy, because I thought exactly the same as you! Padding will be black.

Sounds pretty decent then!! Good skills on the padding, nothing worse than whacking your head on a roll cage. Tis bad enough doing on the way to Tescos, let alone whilst you're barrell rolling down the nearest B-road. Hopefully neither will happen lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds pretty decent then!! Good skills on the padding, nothing worse than whacking your head on a roll cage. Tis bad enough doing on the way to Tescos, let alone whilst you're barrell rolling down the nearest B-road. Hopefully neither will happen lol.

Yes, hopefully he will neither barrel roll it or ever have to lower himself to shopping at tesco, both those things sound very unpleasant.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Oh my, that is rather nice! Really want to see this in the metal Oli, must catch up soon.

Let me know when you're free bud and I'll trundle over to Newbury. I'll let you pick a time, because I suspect you are a little more hectic than I am at the mo. How is the little one getting on? :)

Clio
I'm not normally a fan of dash dodgers Tbh, but that does look VERY good! as said white 2118's would really finish it off!

Lotus Elise
Looks to be a very good install, I'm just not a fan of how far it is from the A pillars but if its not going to be used in competition than who cares.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks to be a very good install, I'm just not a fan of how far it is from the A pillars but if its not going to be used in competition than who cares.

Agreed, doesnt look to be tied into the A pillars at all either near to the windscreen where it should be, as well as being so far back where it mounts at the bottom, so from the point of view of rigidity, with the furthest forward part of the cage being so far behind all the main strength at the front of the shell, its not really going to do much.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Agreed, doesnt look to be tied into the A pillars at all either near to the windscreen where it should be, as well as being so far back where it mounts at the bottom, so from the point of view of rigidity, with the furthest forward part of the cage being so far behind all the main strength at the front of the shell, its not really going to do much.

It's built to current Motorsport regs, so I think it will do somewhat better than 'not really going to do much'. If you don't believe me, give these people a ring; http://www.therollcagepeople.com/clients.htm

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's built to current Motorsport regs, so I think it will do somewhat better than 'not really going to do much'. If you don't believe me, give these people a ring; http://www.therollcagepeople.com/clients.htm

Those regs are there to make it safe in a roll/impact, where as I was talking "not really going to do much" in terms of helping with rigidity of suspension pickup points to improve handling, which as its nowhere near anything significant to the structure of the front of the car (only mount at the front at all by the looks of it is the floor) it wont do.

As that is what Sam will be focused on no doubt, the handling improvements a cage can make, as Sam seems to like handling a lot :)
Apologies if the context of my post wasnt clear enough, but thats what I mean when I said "from the point of view of rigidity"

Anyway, you've bought it for looks blatantly, and it does that just fine, lol

But if you like I will phone the ministry of defence tomorrow as requested and ask them if they think your cage will improve the stiffness of your clio front strut tops, FLOL

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I haven't bought it for looks, I've bought it primarily for safety as the car is going to be used by me for work. I want to make it as safe as possible and it serves that purpose nicely. It has made the whole car significantly stiffer, so handling wise there is a difference.

I get on with you Chip but sometimes you seem to spend your life on here criticising others efforts. Before you 'assume' I'm doing it for 'looks' you might want to actually ask me. But yes, it does look very nice as well.