ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Frayz's 550bhp+ Prodrive edition Impreza build...

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
There's only so many Clio's you can look at before you're bored,
it's good to have a nosey around other cars, especially ones as good as yours.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Seen it before on PF I think it was, fantastic car.

Scoobys make SO much sense with the transmission in them being so good, better choice than an evo IMHO

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Chip

Bit more work done on the gauge pod, almost ready to paint.

efeb319f.jpg

2048f251.jpg

793a6fff.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I've fitted it this morning as a final test piece. Just some panel gaps to clean and that's it. The pics don't really show how it looks but it changes the dash appearance completely. Now looks more like a cockpit haha.

There will be at least one **** in there I hear you say. :D

7dedd155.jpg

0ea8a8b8.jpg

2dd5a3f7.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
After fitting all the front end bits I went to get her geometry redone.
I always go back to Damien @ Skidmarques in Hutton, Brentwood. Known him for a long time and he always does a proper job.

Now got over 6 degrees of caster, toed out the rear a little too making the car rotate a little quicker. The handling feels even more agile and accurate. Very pleased.

186b8aa7.jpg

e92e2508.jpg

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
After fitting all the front end bits I went to get her geometry redone.
I always go back to Damien @ Skidmarques in Hutton, Brentwood. Known him for a long time and he always does a proper job.

I need to get down there but waiting for my bloody topmounts to arrive still :dapprove:

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Really appreciate it. In fact my alignment took no time at all due to everything being so easy to use. Half the fight of setting geometry is fighting with fasteners and siezed threads. Fortunately none of those under there :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Loadsa Syvec talk on the GTR forum recently. It seems a Syvec'd car is setting new world records on a weekly basis!

Was reading about its use on Jurgens Jun R1 GTR, seems a fantastic bit of kit!

Frays: If you dont mind me asking (obviously feel free to ignore) What sorta money does this owe you?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate the Syvecs is absolutely superb, obviously there are cheaper alternatives but why skimp on the conductor of such an expensive orchestra? ;)

in all honesty I don't know what my car owes me. Certainly more than anyone with half a brain should ever spend on a car. I've done it knowing full well it's a suicide financial decision. Ive built it because I love it, and hey... You can't take it with ya!

Id estimate to build a replica of my car would cost in excess of £60k

For that money I could be driving a GT3 I hear you say...

Sure I could, but then I'd modify that too!
;)
If youre a petrol head then it's built deep within you to mess about and tinker, I know for aslong as I'm alive I'll be making something go quicker, stop better or turn sharper than it did. :)

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, a GT3 would be realistically as quick. When you own a moderately high power car you quickly realise the meaning of the word "useable". Lol.
I own a stock FF 182, it's only mods being braided lines, brembo discs ad Federal RSRs. I drive it every single day and I absolutely love it. Next to a 570+bhp impreza is is slow... Yes. But is it fast in the real world, yes. I can hand on heart say that I have 99% as much fun in the Clio as I do the impreza. A to B I can get anywhere as quick in my Clio as I could anything else.

Its cheap to run, cheap on parts handles fantastic and puts a huge grin on my face. I can take it to the shops, a wedding, pick up my girlfriend in it and it does it all without worry.

Cant say that about the STi.

A GT3 would also be worth more than £20 when I came to sell it too lol.

I guess I'm saying here is, bhp doesn't make a car more fun. Don't lose sight of the fact that fun isn't a straight line. :)

No car
You must of spent a large amount on this build, Do you get worried about driving it? Just in case something goes wrong etc etc? This Scooby is a credit to yourself! absolutely amazing car!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
No I don't worry about it. I've built it to be engineered with all the best bits I can find and hopefully my attention to detail ensures that it will stay together. I also drive it with a degree of mechanical sympathy. You can't go around smashing gears and diffs etc. I've nothing to prove with it so don't feel the need to abuse it. It get driven hard but sensibly hard if that makes sense.
If I worried about it, I'd stop enjoying it lol. :)

No car
Yeah you can tell its had nothing but the best! Yeah hard enough to justify what you've built it for but not hard enough to fcuk anything up.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys,

Finally got the dash done, although this is a whole lot neater than having 3 in a hood and 3 up the a pillar im still quite tempted to ditch the lot in place of a single Toucan display.
Nothing will be as instant on the eye for reading data than indevidual meters but a single screen would be a whole lot neater.

I think im going to see how i get on like this and if need be take it all out and start again haha.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the cak iphone pics, my computer wont dalk to Photobucket right now lol

7B93306E-E15D-4938-BE83-C729E876737B-1319-00000158489ECD39.jpg

E7FAE16A-55D3-4E57-9C74-933D2D78A2F0-1319-0000015842D9B1D8.jpg

C7B3A91E-9F99-4773-A37C-AD5ED366B891-1319-000001583D0FE68C.jpg

FC0FB893-8AB7-4E65-826C-5F9CBB874C94-1319-00000158364E7044.jpg

00EE4A45-C62E-428E-A551-5E378BD949D1-1319-0000015830EE0922.jpg

547AC8A3-025D-4A93-BD4E-4BD6707A7167-1319-00000158278D0BC3.jpg

'03 MCS, MKV Ed30
Just read from start to finish. Absolutely amazing.

I was originally searching for a WRX STI style thread cos i want one next.

Safe to say i will be going for one.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Gonna replace the horrid cap heads with some smooth buttons, to try and make it look less garish but it can't really be seen much from the rear of the car.
I was sick and tired of my bumper melting from the radiant heat of the exhaust tip so decided to finally do something proper about it.
Tried the dei self adhesive reflection mat and that burns off too.
So gone with a more permanent solution, I just hope this works.

If the exhaust tip colour I anything to go by its seeing between 270/340 degrees C.
Toasty!

E56ECA76-DD1D-41A1-97CC-C29FF67782B7-228-0000000C62EEA8D3.jpg

1BB186CB-4273-4BBF-A924-4841A93D0AFC-228-0000000E74BFB8BC.jpg

Evo 5 RS
Absoloute weapon, and a tasteful car too! I had a run in with an older Impreza the other week. Really wanted to chat with the owner as it wasn't hanging about and sounded like it had anti lag. Was quite chuffed at the Clio for hanging in there though :approve:.

Sadly I doubt it was anywhere near as well as yours nor 500+bhp lol!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Absoloute weapon, and a tasteful car too! I had a run in with an older Impreza the other week. Really wanted to chat with the owner as it wasn't hanging about and sounded like it had anti lag. Was quite chuffed at the Clio for hanging in there though :approve:.

Sadly I doubt it was anywhere near as well as yours nor 500+bhp lol!

Thanks mate.

Make no mistake my impreza is a very quick car but the areas you can deploy this kind of power on the road is reasonably few and far between. I still maintain that a well driven 1*2 is a seriously quick A to B machine. Especially on a twisty country lane. The Clio is very very communicative and confidence inspiring. Where as the reasonably low power is enough to use all of the time. You find yourself barreling into bends at huge speeds in the Clio and it feels so planted. You can do the same in the impreza except the same level of throttle is now pushing you onto the same corner at at least 50% faster. On the road you find yourself braking harder and subsequently cornering at either the same speed as the clio or sometimes even a little slower.

Obviously on track you can open the taps of the imprezas power and carry the corner speed with much less fear.

Of each of my cars though, I find the clip more exciting when it comes to the actual thrill of driving.

Both cars have their place for me, but they're not as far apart in driver appeal as you may first imagine.

:)

Evo 5 RS
Well my ph1 is on the near side of 210bhp and 179ftlbs, and weighs about 900kg, so it puts up a good fight. It's funny you should mention entry speed ... lol. Was where abouts I said goodbye to this particular lunatic! I know when I'm out gunned :eek:

Make no mistake my impreza is a very quick car but the areas you can deploy this kind of power on the road is reasonably few and far between.

I can imagine, it's bad enough having a moderately quick car in this Country. Let alone having 600bhp!

Last edited:

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
210bhp and 900kg sounds like a wicked laugh. I bet that's a fantastic drive. My Clio is a cup packed full fat with all the toys and still feels so agile.
I used to be the same with entry speed right up to about 400bhp. The subaru chassis is very very good and you can get on the power early to aid balancing the chassis on power.
With nearly 600bhp the power comes on very very quickly and will certainly test your wits. Don't get me wrong, the chassis swallows the power with ease, but tyres will only stick to Tarmac so much when you shove 520ftlbs through them with no traction or driver aids lol.

Evo 5 RS
I can imagine that would be pretty hairy indeed! Wouldn't fancy skimping on tyres then? lol. I was really disappointed I didn't get a chance to chat with this fella tbh, he was taking some long bends at speeds I just didn't fancy. Mainly as I'm not a raving lunatic/idiot, but regardless it was pretty impressive lol.

It is an absoloute hoot yeah, it's actually pretty nice to drive at a sensible pace too as you've got the extra torque in the midrange to drag you along in the higher gears. You can leave it in 5th at 30-40 mph and pull quite happily along.

Love it to bits.

Until you drive it for more than half an hour and it gets on your tits. ;)