ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel cap crap 182.... Universal cap for winter....

RB 182 FF
Went to fill up a few days of days ago and couldn't even get the key in the fuel cap, frozen solid... Borrowed hot water from the garage staff and managed to get it freed up, very embarrassing with big queue forming behind me...... WD'd it and still no joy after -7 the other night. Then tried white grease and still it freezes overnight so now I've made the decision to use a £4.99 universal cap over winter as I only have 1 key for my car, sensible I feel... :)

Anyone else having these issues or is it that a live in a stupidly cold place........?! :S

172/1.2/E30
Had to use de-icer on it a few days ago. Worked a treat. Just keep a little bottle of lock de-icer in your car. Petrol is getting expensive these day, so i prefer a lockable fuel cap.

RB 182 FF
Had to use de-icer on it a few days ago. Worked a treat. Just keep a little bottle of lock de-icer in your car. Petrol is getting expensive these day, so i prefer a lockable fuel cap.

Luckily for me mr.pink I live in an area where crime is non-existent, touch wood........ especially fuel syphoning..... so I should be ok, I think I'd rather lose some fuel than snap my key off in the pocksy lock! :)

Looking....
Funny thing i had the same problem with mine this morning, a little wd40 sorted it though.

Anyone else had this? Any solutions apart from sending the Mrs out with a hair dryer before a refuel?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
warm the key up. If I ever get a frozen lock, the key goes in my gob until it's warm enough to get the lock moving. Takes a few tries sometimes.

BG 182
I had this problem yesterday the lock just wouldn't budge :/ was getting a bit worried but then thought its just the cold. Managed to get it open though eventually

172 + 350z
Wow this is strange. Just got the car so thought it was maybe just mine but kinda good to hear others in the same situation.
Was really low on fuel at the time aswell so got really annoyed.