ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Graham's summer 172 cup track car

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
FINALLY! I've seriously missed having a car with speed since I broke my 182 in December 2013 and having built up a little bit of money over summer I decided it was time to take the plunge and get something for the track. I was looking for a 182 or 172 cup and after posting a wanted add @FLOBALOB dropped me a line about his 172 cup with a few bits which made it exactly what I was after. This is my fourth sport now so I pretty much know what I'm going to be doing to this one. My day to day car is my DCi rep which some of you may know http://www.cliosport.net/threads/grahams-ocd-ph2-dci-sport-rep.720172/
This is my old and most loved 182
SB_130731_MSVT_BH_0584_zps66a6add1.jpg

SB_130731_MSVT_BH_0640_zps72c1735c.jpg

null_zpsea1d4b62.jpg

Spec of the cup at the moment;
  • R-Racer alloys and uniroyal rainsport 3 tyres
  • polybush dog bone
  • long life exhaust
  • 98ron RS Tuner map
  • ktec style induction kit
  • OMP wheel and boss

The Cup came with some semi slicks and it's purely going to be a track car so I'm going to put the tyres only the oz F1s which are currently on my DCI. Dean also kindly included a load of bits and bobs as well including some RC5+ pads which from my experience are absolutely fantastic.

Plans;
  • Completely strip the car
  • Sunstrip
  • Rear cage
  • Bucket seats
  • Rear ARB (from my DCI)
  • EPAS
  • Brake light fogs
  • Service
If money allows;
  • Solid engine mounts
  • 182 manifold
  • Eibach sport lines
  • Braided lines
435E416E-2879-4FD8-B407-27D488CA68B6_zpsiyugow2f.jpg
4125F3B7-D9BF-4904-AE00-3094A773B819_zpss6uqkwl2.jpg
91FBD4B7-6FEF-4CA9-BD5C-0CEB90D3A8B4_zpsnv33jbkh.jpg
F14AF097-CE5D-4A66-BE0A-694D330E2B61_zpsxrdtsb0x.jpg

As with my DCI thread, comments and advice are always appreciated :smile:

Renault Clio 172 cup
Already got the brake braided lines on the front Graham if I remember correctly. I've got the backs somewhere, which I never fitted. Will dig them out and pop them in the post to you. And excuse the stilts people, I had Eibach sportlines on it but they are now on my brothers Clio.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Made a start on stripping the car today. As I was last time, I'm surprised at how much there is to remove. Weight must add up to a fair bit. Rest of it will come out over the next week. It was just a little too wet on the ground today to get under and take the seats out. Wow this is an awful photo.

Does anyone have any suggestions on removing the tar from the inside of the c pillar and rear quarters without damaging the paint on the outside.

63A55497-FE78-474D-BB07-ADE08DFA9A6A_zpst5bbzs34.jpg

Last edited:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'd have to weigh all the bits I removed if I did that and add them up at the end. [emoji5]

Looks fun
I thought about that. Then there was so much to take out I decided to call it "quite a bit!"

No progress on the car today but I've got a few bits which should improve it when I can access the garage.
First was the heal toe throttle pedal from @NorthloopCup
D5E16343-F306-46D1-84A9-158D1A53D8C1_zpsvl9qzxiv.jpg

Then an OMP eco seat. It's base mount which I'm not too sure about but we shall see! Will be the passengers seat with the drivers being a Bimarco when a little more money comes through.
C4FF42C7-CB86-49EF-AACB-9DF91B8D2E61_zpsj8iqb4cx.jpg

Last but not least I got an absolute steal on these team dynamic pro race 1.2 after I spotted them for sale on facebook last night. Got good tyres; 2 are okay and 2 are brand new. et 41 which is okay but I'll probably run some thin spacers for them. I'll put the semi slicks on these so I don't have to change the tyres on my winter wheels.
CBD021C2-3FC8-4F93-B42A-4171F1EA4002_zpstt5as7s4.jpg
807D9161-3214-4EE7-BD56-9D7CA6B00029_zpsj6buxe8f.jpg

Tomorrow is my birthday and I've asked for a foot rest cover, sunstrip (when interior is out) and side mounts for the bucket seats (this is the problem with the OMP seat).

That's it for today :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Few little updates today.
I gave myself a day off studying and decided to take a crack at a few jobs on the cup. There were so many things to do I really wasn't sure what to get done.
The rear wheels looked totally lost in the arches so decided to sort that. I had some 15mm hub spacers from the ph1 I had in the summer so decided to pop those on. Previously I had an absolute nightmare doing this job so expected it to take all day. This time though I decided to wirebrush the threads with the dremel before taking off the stub axles. What a differerence that made; had it all done in less than 2 hours.
Before
FDDE5F47-F1DE-45F2-8652-F55C9FE63315_zpsbpdebpxh.jpg

During
5D44414A-4A50-4F00-BE94-2698DEFBCFE5_zpsrnepfhil.jpg

After
DAECDB32-D7AE-4279-A318-9F3A67748982_zpsilvgshvl.jpg
59CE5FE2-6391-45AD-9157-95345C533299_zpsr09nroah.jpg

Whilst doing this I popped the spigot rings in the wheels
290D0503-9DD2-4525-A880-D1A0FBCA9CF3_zpsemtbsxed.jpg

Removed the rear wiper
690F1D81-A792-4450-AE5E-4B9376B25FB1_zpscmvw7ais.jpg

@Timmsy popped over for a bit to take all the plastics from the car to pop in his soon. Should be awesome when it's done. Was nice to have a break from working in the miserable rain for a bit.

Then I started working on the door cards. The car came with some track door cards but I needed to add in the window switches. I cut up the handles from the car and glued the window switch frame to the back of the card. All mocked up, just need some proper trim fixings for them to screw into the door.
A94DCE11-CFD9-45A2-81A1-632449DE1CFB_zpsxuaqndwm.jpg
FF0DF988-E045-4A41-A12E-EA0E8C102C4C_zpswzmh8dlt.jpg

Other little jobs I did were program out all the airbag lights so they don't show any more and unsieze the rear caliper.

Sorry @NorthloopCup but I'm probably going to be going green with mine but much more shoddily done. Quick mock up from last weekend.
Lowered%20and%20green%20details_zpsuujs7hos.jpg

Another note. AP coilovers on their way.

Getting through the list but still lots to be done before I can hit the track.
  • Full fit door cards
  • Remove headlining
  • Hide rear wiring in quarters
  • Remove tar under skuttle panel
  • Fit sunstrip
  • Fit new throttle pedal
  • Remove fogs and fit brake ducting.
  • Change pads
  • Fit cage
  • Get harnesses
  • Fit coilovers
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Swap tyres to semi slicks
  • Front splitter
  • Change exhaust tip
  • Fit toe eye
  • False floor

Last edited:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
What was it you said in my project thread again? Oh yeah...:wink:
I like it that this quickly turned from a budget track car into a full blown addiction so quickly. I had this with my 182 so can't allow myself to buy one now 😧
Lol, looking good though, I like the green! You've done more with this in 2 weeks than I have since buying my 172 I think!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Looking good dude. Don't know about the green tho!
Cheers Iain. Wouldn't do it for a road car but my inner child is going crazy because it's a track car!

What was it you said in my project thread again? Oh yeah...:wink:

Lol, looking good though, I like the green! You've done more with this in 2 weeks than I have since buying my 172 I think!

LOL The irony. It's okay, I didn't have a job then......ohh I don't now.....something went right though hmm. Nah I decided I need to enjoy at least a bit of the money I earned and Lauren didn't object too much so it only made sense ;) All the mods so far are free, or funded by selling bits from my vast clio parts collection I promise 😊

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
LOL The irony. It's okay, I didn't have a job then......ohh I don't now.....something went right though hmm. Nah I decided I need to enjoy at least a bit of the money I earned and Lauren didn't object too much so it only made sense :wink: All the mods so far are free, or funded by selling bits from my vast clio parts collection I promise 😊

LOL that sounds like my reasoning for going track car as well. Pretty sure it was something along the lines of because I had a dci 100, it shared the same rear beam setup and stuff so I already had lots of spare parts for a track 172 😂

Really need to keep an eye out for bargains though. You seem to have found a fair few with this!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Good start Graham. What did you get the AP's for?
Got the APs for this car as at the moment it's on standard springs which make it really high. The photo with the green bits I also lowered it just to see what it would look like, then I got excited! APs are meant to be soft for track but I'll give them a go and if they are I'll get some stiffer springs.

LOL that sounds like my reasoning for going track car as well. Pretty sure it was something along the lines of because I had a dci 100, it shared the same rear beam setup and stuff so I already had lots of spare parts for a track 172 😂

Really need to keep an eye out for bargains though. You seem to have found a fair few with this!
Ha, spot on. My reasoning too! I've picked up more than bargains. Everything I have for the car including the coilies, wheels, bucket seat, tax and insurance; the whole lot stands me £1600. Fully track ready will be sub £2k easily.

Ps, ordered trs door pulls.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Well I take it back then what I said in your wanted thread. Humble pie tastes ok actually :blush:
;) I'd forgotten about that! Not H&Rs but they'll do I suppose :) I do only buy bargains though. Shopped around for the door pulls yesterday just to save 20p.

Today I have a little but rather boring update. Sunday was meant to be my work day but I felt brain dead so the product was likely to be rubbish. Decided to fit my sunstrip which was almost impossible with one person and stupid amounts of wind. Got there in the end though after lots of flapping.
D31B6CCC-F560-4F2D-A900-3A3F96948A51_zpsza57dkn7.jpg

Ripped out the headlining and a few other bits of plastic from the inside and changed the garden chair for the bucket seat. There are 2 conveniently placed holes on the original seat bars to bolt in the front of the bucket and it's now a touch safer to move in and out of the garage before I get the sumbframes.
C095001A-4613-43C2-802A-1BA7353A31A9_zps576gjztf.jpg

I then started to strip the loom and tidy it up in the back after seeing @Chambers_RS run his rear loom down the 1/4 panels. Managed to take out the wiring for the antenna, door close switches and rear speakers. Removed all the pretensioner, seat airbag and side impact sensor wiring back to the airbag ECU so now I can relocate that to where the radio used to sit. Going to get some small conduit to wrap the wires in :)
005E85C3-DBE8-4631-ACD5-74DEC844EDDC_zpsgaii82tu.jpg
FD01E13D-5782-47BE-B047-70BA4F60D421_zpsgpdjobxh.jpg

Was good to meet you Saturday buddy. Thanks again for the stuff. It's still all sitting in the back of the missus car. She didn't say too much lol

You really have done a lot of work on it this weekend! Totally forgot about headlining though, you throwing that out too?

Last edited:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Another one of us with a summer track car! :smile: Looks good!
I'm sure a summer will turn into a longer term affair :D

Was good to meet you Saturday buddy. Thanks again for the stuff. It's still all sitting in the back of the missus car. She didn't say too much lol

You really have done a lot of work on it this weekend! Totally forgot about headlining though, you throwing that out too?

No worries. Lol, Lauren went around with a set of discs, an engine cover and a flywheel in her boot for months and didn't say anything!
I can't remember if the headlining is the same but I wasn't very careful with this one; ripped and creased it! Done a few bits this weekend. Can see it coming together now but I'm mostly excited for lowering it :)

Ahhh yeah not to sure i'll get away with It for that long.

That's cool, I'm sure one will come up when I look for a dash.

Yeah so needs lowering, will look so much better then. When are your AP's due?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Glad you got a car mate. Just one suggestion really. The silly silicone air intake pipes look silly and don't suit the style of the car atall. If I can make a suggestion of selling them to me them I'm happy to help out :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@Timmsy There's a guy just beyond Brighton who's breaking a 172 so probably has the remaining bits you need. APs should be with me Wednesday and depending on when I get back I might fit them very quickly :D

@imprezaworks I'm glad too!! That intake sounds absolutely mean though! I'll get an Apexi at some point, like I had on my old car. Not for a while so I'm hoarding the hoses until then :)
null_zps045e1d93.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@imprezaworks That filter was the single best mod to that car hands down. I had a ktec style induction before that. Nah, heat soak isn't really a problem with the grill there. Less pipe bends, better power :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Interesting, wouldn't have guessed that. The likes of the ep3's when I had one, the induction kit like that bogged some down when the temp outside was hot etc.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That is an interesting one about the heat soak. My mate (@benji93) had a similar setup when he got his 182 the other week. We compared the intake temps on live data with mine and his, and after giving each car a bit of a booting up and down the road, his temps were around 50C and mine were around 15-20C with the filter tucked in front of the battery.

Ha, spot on. My reasoning too! I've picked up more than bargains. Everything I have for the car including the coilies, wheels, bucket seat, tax and insurance; the whole lot stands me £1600. Fully track ready will be sub £2k easily.
Oh, and this makes me want to die lol. I think I'm well over the £2k mark already if I take everything into account!

Renault Clio 172 cup
My car....what have you done to it, poor thing. No seriously, looking good Graham. Re the intake, I thought it was generally agreed that the set up I had on it with the air filter mounted just behind the n/s headlight was the best set up. I'm sure there are threads about it, with stats etc proving it to give the best power. When I got the car it had a similar set up to your old one above with the short single bend and a K+N on it and it definitely improved in both pull and sound with the set up thats currently on. But ...its your car now so and you seem to know which way you want to go with it so good luck.

benji93

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 182, mk1 mx5
Tried to find a video there showing just what I thought of the similar setup you've just gone for but i'll have a look later, I definitely noticed a big difference after fitting the filter tucked infront of the battery, I felt a lot more low down torque at the 3-4k rev range (definitely plausible that this was totally in my head however) and a definite massive drop in intake temps, the fatty's induction kit setup was the way forward I believe, but whatever works, works!

Nice purchase mate. Liking the wheels too :smile:

If you're ever spending a day on the car give me a shout and i'll come down to give a hand if I've not got other plans. Love stripping cars out!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Few little updates today.
I gave myself a day off studying and decided to take a crack at a few jobs on the cup. There were so many things to do I really wasn't sure what to get done.
The rear wheels looked totally lost in the arches so decided to sort that. I had some 15mm hub spacers from the ph1 I had in the summer so decided to pop those on. Previously I had an absolute nightmare doing this job so expected it to take all day. This time though I decided to wirebrush the threads with the dremel before taking off the stub axles. What a differerence that made; had it all done in less than 2 hours.
Before
FDDE5F47-F1DE-45F2-8652-F55C9FE63315_zpsbpdebpxh.jpg

During
5D44414A-4A50-4F00-BE94-2698DEFBCFE5_zpsrnepfhil.jpg

After
DAECDB32-D7AE-4279-A318-9F3A67748982_zpsilvgshvl.jpg
59CE5FE2-6391-45AD-9157-95345C533299_zpsr09nroah.jpg

Whilst doing this I popped the spigot rings in the wheels
290D0503-9DD2-4525-A880-D1A0FBCA9CF3_zpsemtbsxed.jpg

Removed the rear wiper
690F1D81-A792-4450-AE5E-4B9376B25FB1_zpscmvw7ais.jpg

@Timmsy popped over for a bit to take all the plastics from the car to pop in his soon. Should be awesome when it's done. Was nice to have a break from working in the miserable rain for a bit.

Then I started working on the door cards. The car came with some track door cards but I needed to add in the window switches. I cut up the handles from the car and glued the window switch frame to the back of the card. All mocked up, just need some proper trim fixings for them to screw into the door.
A94DCE11-CFD9-45A2-81A1-632449DE1CFB_zpsxuaqndwm.jpg
FF0DF988-E045-4A41-A12E-EA0E8C102C4C_zpswzmh8dlt.jpg

Other little jobs I did were program out all the airbag lights so they don't show any more and unsieze the rear caliper.

Sorry @NorthloopCup but I'm probably going to be going green with mine but much more shoddily done. Quick mock up from last weekend.
Lowered%20and%20green%20details_zpsuujs7hos.jpg

Another note. AP coilovers on their way.

Getting through the list but still lots to be done before I can hit the track.
  • Full fit door cards
  • Remove headlining
  • Hide rear wiring in quarters
  • Remove tar under skuttle panel
  • Fit sunstrip
  • Fit new throttle pedal
  • Remove fogs and fit brake ducting.
  • Change pads
  • Fit cage
  • Get harnesses
  • Fit coilovers
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Swap tyres to semi slicks
  • Front splitter
  • Change exhaust tip
  • Fit toe eye
  • False floor
Green is the choice of heroes iirc. :tonguewink:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@sburrell93 That's only because there are no new and shiney bits on this! I've got a spread sheet for this one so I keep myself in check; the total spend number is always haunting every purchase.

@benji93 I am probably also playing mind games with myself. From a quick bit of nerd chemistry there is 12% more oxygen going into the intake with the intake at 15 deg instead of 50 so it could make a difference. Did you remove the plastic bit from behind the grill?

@FLOBALOB Yeah you're definitely right Dean, changing the intake set up is pretty much last on my list of mods. I just fell in love with my apexi when I had it. It has lost a few pounds since I took it hasn't it! Will keep it on this diet for a while :smile:

@Martin. Cheers matey. You have the same! Wheel friends 😂 Mine are covered in curb marks etc but were ridiculously cheap.

@NorthloopCup Had to buy this now
hero_zpsevnpqtkp.jpg

So todays update. (Daily updates will stop soon!)
Ordered my rear cage with harness bars
Ordered a ktec link pipe for way in the future
Got the rosettes for the door pulls
Wheels are currently in the garage getting the track tyres swapped onto the team dynamics.

benji93

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 182, mk1 mx5
@GrahamS I didn't remove the plastic behind.the grill, however it may have been removed before, would need to have a look, I'll check next time Im outside and it's not snowing haha

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
@sburrell93 That's only because there are no new and shiney bits on this! I've got a spread sheet for this one so I keep myself in check; the total spend number is always haunting every purchase.

I started a spread sheet with my build............... most stupid thing I ever did lol - 😞

progress looking good mate, like the green with the blue, I'm toying with adding a bit of colour to mine, but can never make up my mind on the best option!!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@MJClio Thanks matey. There's light at the end of the tunnel! Will do, hopefully it all goes swimmingly though.

@cpaterson76 I love the spreadsheet; keeps reminding me that I have to only do free mods for a while! Glad you like the green, found some hilarious neon paint for the cage so can't wait. Nearly did glow in the dark but had to rein myself in! Grey and black looks good with red; that is a tough one though definitely.