ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many blue 172 cups where made and how many are now dead u think?

MCS R56
Most are dead, they're dangerous cos no abs.

More like people can't drive them. They are not dangerous cars - people rely too heavily on driving aids these days to save them.

After 5 years of Cup ownership, I can remember locking up twice in the wet.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Whilst recently getting insurance renewal on the trophy i found a few companies that now exclude a "172 cup" from there policies.

Most are dead, they're dangerous cos no abs.

I wouldn't say they're dangerous, you just have try and avoid stamping the brake pedal in bad weather conditions. I've only locked my wheels a couple of times apart from when I've done it deliberately. There's still quite a few knocking around though.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
I do think that ABS is a life/car saver but i wouldn't call a car 'dangerous' just because it hasn't got it.
Surely the 172 cup is one of the fastest 'affordable' cars out there with no abs though???

Monaco 172 (02)
There was a 20-25% additional cost to insure a cup for me.
That told me they must be widow makers!!!! The ABS has never kicked in on my FF apart from a wet manhole, I think they have very good ABS systems and I cant really see what 'real' benefit a lack of ABS has other than weight, and thats hardly noticable on the road is it?!

In 15,000 miles of one of my previous cars without ABS I dont remember a time I locked up once. A car without ABS isnt necessarily dangerous but obviously if you arent very switched on and get cut up in the wet ABS might save you / your car.

clio rs
not dangerous as long as u knw the limit of the car, a mk1 golf gti is dangerous wid its drum brakes.

so i guess the more cups get crushed, addes value to our 172 cup

Clio 182 + Recaros
Whilst recently getting insurance renewal on the trophy i found a few companies that now exclude a "172 cup" from there policies.

I've heard that as well, someone I use to work with had a Cup and told me that a few companies won't offer a policy due to the lack of ABS.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
It's not the cars that crash its the driver.

ABS does help in those 'oh s**t' situations though.

Clio 172 cup
99 made like mine in Iceburg silver with no A/C..would be interesting to see how many of those are left

P.S. No ABS dangerous?? Only in the wrong hands...all cars have to be treated with respect no matter how many driving aids are on board....

Last edited:

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
ABS does help no matter how good a driver you are, even if you are the most careful driver out there other people can still put you into a situation where abs will help you out. 172 cups are now affordable to pretty much anyone which means many are owned by drivers who have little experience in fast cars.
It's very easy to forget just how long it can take to slow a vehicle down from relatively high speeds in the case of a emergency and if panic sets in it's very hard to maintain calm and keep control of the car.
While i wouldn't call them dangerous cars i can fully understand why so many are involved in accidents.

I can't understand why folk rely so heavily on abs, at the end of the day not all cars have it. To me it's lack of driver knowledge & experience which makes folk crash.

I quite fancy a 172 cup tbh, i'd wanna mod it up though.

I can't understand why folk rely so heavily on abs, at the end of the day not all cars have it. To me it's lack of driver knowledge & experience which makes folk crash.

I quite fancy a 172 cup tbh, i'd wanna mod it up though.

You're digging your own grave if you get a cup.

Deadly I tell ye.

;)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
ABS wouldn't have saved mine. Owned her for over 5 years and did 99,000 miles in her. Had hypo (diabetic coma) behind wheel and crashed. The car would have been okay if there was no roof crease.

ABS is an aid...if you're overconfident, cocky, crap, or just plain ignorant...then it might help you out. ABS in snow doesn't seem to work very well! ;)

Its about knowing and respecting your limits and the car's (although the car is designed to go faster than you!)

They are starting to fall into the price range where enthusiasts as well as the younger/less experienced element are able to buy them...not always a good thing.

Tav

Clio 197
I don't understand what the issue with ABS is (well I do, lack of skill/driver error). We all had Mk3 Polo's and did just fine. Stuart's was supercharged (150bhp) and was a match for a 182 in a straight line. No ABS, 175 section tyres on 5.5 inch width alloy wheels and 830kg...and of course...no ABS. Looked like ---> http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2373/2821/5931410069_large.jpg You just made do with it and didn't drive like a ninny in the wet.

I like the fact the Clio has it as it's a safety net you don't know is there. Unlike traction control it is a real get out of jail free card when your talents runs out. Arguably you could drive a 182 faster at a wet track day as you know you have ABS to lean on.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Awesome, didnt reaise there were only 2000 ish left, mite just keep mine :approve:

I dont hammer it unless the weather conditions are bone dry, Ive never had a problem,touch wood. There only dangerous in the wrong hands as is any car!

Mon the cups ;)

Vw caddy tdi
New thread title needed how many people know of local 172cup's that have been writen off? I do!? They have a much quicker rack and + no abs = bit of a risk me thinks coupled with unexperienced drivers. Spot on model tho imo.