ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much are cat D's worth?

Greg.w

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Hey folks

Im after a cheap 172 as a run about.

Seen a cat d for sale. Repaired already. It's a 53 plate cup with rare air con. It's done 73k and has ha the cambelt and dephaser done at 63k(no receipt though). It's standard really with dark grey turinis.

Is it worth going for? He's after £1400 but will take £1200.

Cheers

RS6 C7
I would say around the 1k mark but if it's in good nick £1200 isn't to bad. I sold a cat c cup with no wheels / peeling paint for over £700 so one with all the bits in good nick should be worth 1k+ all day long. :)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Depends what happened to it and how good the repair was really

330i. E30 Touring.
If he's got no reciept, you should count it as not having had the cambelt done.

Sounds expensive considering you'll need to add £450 for that..

It all depends on what the damage was and what standard or repair you believe that it has. I'd be wary buying a written off Clio unless I knew in my heart of hearts that it was structurally sound.

I think the going rate is 50% market value? But depends on situation, that's what Id go by anyway.

I'd value £1200 as fair with receipt of cambelt change, otherwise you're gunna have to shell out £400+ to get it done at some point very soon.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Buy it.

Its only £1200, well worth the risk!

I'll buy it if you dont.

Iceberg 172
When was the car written off? That would be a good guide to how bad it was. It wouldn't take much to write a 172 off nowadays!

WRX
For that money you could get a reasonable straight 172 non Cup. Think I saw that one when I was looking for one. For a few extra hundred you'll get better definitely.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
theres bargains out there atm. bought my other half an 03 plate 172, 62k. fsh with belts done for 1500.

EDIT: not cat registered, totally straight one i meant

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Regardless of how little damage or repair, at the end of the day it's been labelled on a Catergory. IMO unless it's gonna be tracked i wouldn't bother (this is my opinion) as at some point you come to sell you're gonna have to explain all this to the potential new owner... People can HPI.

My missus has a Clio 54 plate 1.4 Dynamique... Really nice car, well presented and in decent condition with nice optional extras such as Xenons etc.... Looking at it you wouldn't think it was Cat D......

rcz 200gt
Woudnt worry too much my shogun was put on cat d register because bumper was damaged in a rear shunt and replacement was £1200 so nothing actually wrong with car just minor damage

Disastra Coupe
Regardless of how little damage or repair, at the end of the day it's been labelled on a Catergory. IMO unless it's gonna be tracked i wouldn't bother (this is my opinion) as at some point you come to sell you're gonna have to explain all this to the potential new owner... People can HPI.

My missus has a Clio 54 plate 1.4 Dynamique... Really nice car, well presented and in decent condition with nice optional extras such as Xenons etc.... Looking at it you wouldn't think it was Cat D......

What would it matter that you've got to tell the new owner it's a Cat D? If you bought the car at a good price due to it being a Cat D and you sell it at a fair price for a Cat D then you've lost no money, really :S Lol.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it's a £1200 car. it REALLY doesn't matter. BAse your decision on condition 100%. Resale value is nigh on irrelevant at this price point

172 cup
you should always buy on the condition of the car . lots of cars especially porches have had a front end refresh, does this make them a cat d as they have had some work done. my cup is a cat d had a light bump at the front, fully repaired by renault to a as new standard. so the car has no stone chips unlike the other cars i looked at, which needed the front ends respraying . to many people get hung up on cars being a cat d, if a car had a bump and one owner does it through the insurance the other pays for it out of there own pocket you could say that the cat d car is better as it has had a approved repair. once a car gets 8-10 years old it it should be on condition not cost .........................

Westy. MX5
Being a Cat D doesn't mean it's been in an accident , maybe just stolen/recovered. £1200 seems a fair price and you should be looking at it's condition and whether the paperwork is correct. There's a lot used and abused cars that are not categorised out there that won't be as good. My Cup was a Cat c after a front end shunt and I sold it for £1400 last August. For £1200 carwise you can't expect a perfect car but you can buy a useable 172/Cup that won't have too many problems.

Chocolate Orange 172
I work at a salvage yard and I can tell you that as long as the repair has been done to standard and he is not worried or sketchy about telling you the reason it has been written off then you should be fine mate, like soot1e says Cat D does not necessarily mean it has been in an accident, could well be stolen/recovered.

If he's got no reciept, you should count it as not having had the cambelt done.

Sounds expensive considering you'll need to add £450 for that..

It's a cup so more like £280 ish, but yeah I'd still have it done.. a cambelt swap is something you'd keep the receipt for

Greg.w

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
100% not going for it,

Found a phase 1 172 for a good price with good milage etc etc so going for that I think

Thanks for all the replies folks :)