ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much downforce does the 197 diffuser give?

172 5HED
Just like the R.26.R that is sold as a track day car yet they wont honour a warranty job on one thats had a failed part on track.

Marketing blurb is great at selling you things!!

Tangoed Works
lol at how this thread has gone. in all fairness to you warren, when i first saw a 197 at the london motorshow, i looked underneath it expecting to see a totally smooth undertray bolted to the underneath, but all i saw was the components mounted as flush as possible.

I thought Hmmmm, will that really create they effect they are making claim to? I think really looking at it most new cars do not have exhaust boxes protruding like they used to, most are as flat bottomed as can be, but i do think the 197 / 200 diffusers will have an effect to an extent.

you can see by the 200 one that the tailpipes are wrapped in the diffuser so as not to disturbe the air flow. I may just go an test drive one and see if I can feel it!

Black 197
PMSL at the CS techno wizards

I couldn't give a care in the world if my diffuser does anything or not, FACT remains it looks the nuts END..

Now i still don't get why there is so much hate towards the 197/200's... It all comes from 1*2 owners... Face facts maybe it isn't as fast as claimed and yes fuel efficiency is poor but a 197 looks far better than a 1*2, Its so much more refined and doesn't creak and bang over the slightest of cracks in the road,

Renault maybe weren't trying to achieve a missile with the introduction of MK3's but they sure got everything else right well nearlly bar efficiency lol...

I used to own a 182 and had that for 3 years and it used to drive me nuts, My 197 is a pleasure to drive and to this day i have never looked back

Tangoed Works
dont see much hate towards the 197/200 in this thread dude, just warren a bit sceptical that it actually does anything which is fair enough.

we all know the mk3 moved the game forward handling and braking wise combined with improved build quality, and that can only be a good thing.

Clio 1970000000
Right, I am thinking of starting a thread discussing the downforce of the Cup Spoiler on the 197. Any takers:evil:

Clio 1970000000
PMSL at the CS techno wizards

Now i still don't get why there is so much hate towards the 197/200's...

I am still fairly new to this forum but I have to agree that there is an anti-197 feeling here from anyone who has a 1*2. I don't think it is as evident for the 200.

Renault have made the 197 for a different market (dare I say more mature!!!) than the 1*2 and having driven both a 182 and a 197 think that like for like comparisons don't always work.

I am still fairly new to this forum but I have to agree that there is an anti-197 feeling here from anyone who has a 1*2. I don't think it is as evident for the 200.

Renault have made the 197 for a different market (dare I say more mature!!!) than the 1*2 and having driven both a 182 and a 197 think that like for like comparisons don't always work.

Best get your flameproof suit on lol.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Don't agree with the different market thing tbh. I would say that the more mature (in age) are more likely to be able to afford them though.
The one single thing that would put me off ever getting one is the economy other than that they're great imo. But because of that I would rather get an RS Megane with I think is a better package.

You must be reading old threads, the 197 hate went out the window ages ago noone really cares, it's all 200 hate now. Most of it is just banter and piss taking anyway.

I like them both for the record.

Lol. Cup spoiler available as an optional extra on the road going 197 is a direct replica of the one fitted to the cup racers, only difference is method of fitment. Cup Racers fit from the top for ease of changing.

172 5HED
Lol. Cup spoiler available as an optional extra on the road going 197 is a direct replica of the one fitted to the cup racers, only difference is method of fitment. Cup Racers fit from the top for ease of changing.

And the racer ones are hollow!!

Black 197
Shape is the same, endcaps are smooth though!

Yep and IIRC the end caps streamline the car even more so that with enough speed you can time warp

In fairness the spoilers are hated among many on here but for me it tidy's the rear end up and to me the car looks naked without a spoiler

I ordered my car with the spoiler but its fitted by the dealer so when i first saw her she didnt have the spoiler fitted and looked wrong!

Clio 1970000000
You must be reading old threads, the 197 hate went out the window ages ago noone really cares, it's all 200 hate now. Most of it is just banter and piss taking anyway.

I like them both for the record.

Glad to be proved wrong. I personally don't like the front of the 200 (which is where the hate is) but can't deny that it is a magic car. Saw one today coming towards me. Would have liked to say hello.

Clio 1970000000
The one single thing that would put me off ever getting one is the economy other than that they're great imo.

I think that considering that this is a highly tuned 2 litre engine, 30mpg is quite acceptable.

I find it very hard to believe that the 1*2's return 38-45mpg, depending upon which thread you read, unless you drive them like a granny.

172 cup , 197 cup
My 172 Cup ( very modified ) returns over 40mpg , it is over 200kg lighter than 197 so there is part of your answer ...................Front spoiler on 200 ..... evolution ! improves front grip/ downforce etc , brilliant ! I want one on my car.............. Granny Steve ....

Last edited:
the 197 one is pretty damn big tbf.

goes a long way under the car, this is mine

IMG_3893.jpg

Dodgy one
according to a copy copy of PFC i was reading earlier the 40kgs at 80mph :S apparantly the front bumper on the 200s stops drag by 0.02 too

Iceberg Ph1
I would assume that the diffuser would work with the exact same principles as a F1 car.. With this in mind.. Have a read..

How A Diffuser Works
Diffusers are essentially a raised area at the back of a car. In order to maximize the effectiveness of a diffuser, a car has to be run as low to the ground as possible. This causes the air trapped between the car and the ground to move rapidly to the rear. The diffuser section in the rear causes negative pressure at the back of the car because it has a bigger volume than the area that the air flowing into it is coming from. This negative pressure accelerates the air under the car which puts the whole underside of the car under negative air pressure. This creates a vacuum effect under the car which sucks it into the ground and creates downforce.
The next part of this shows Ralf Schumacher’s car flying through the air after a nice crash.. clearly showing the bottom of the car being totally flat..

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3

Flol. Paranoid much? This thread just gets better :cool:

It doesn't say 40kg at 70mph in the brocuhe it says "very high speed" which probably translates to the car's TOP SPEED, as this will be the point at which it will be making the most difference (the faster the car goes).

It doesn't add 40kg of downforce but it probably reduces lift by 40kg. So, for example, at top speed lift may be 100kg without the diffuser, but reduced to 60kg with for example. At 70mph the reduction is marginal, but then so is lift.