ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

Race/Rally Clio 172
Ashley Davies here, nice meeting you at the weekend! May see you at Brands dont think ill be out to play saving some money for the Night Race there in the Mk3 Clio! Trying to sort my flat shift out in the yellow one this week!

BMW Z4
Ashley Davies here, nice meeting you at the weekend! May see you at Brands dont think ill be out to play saving some money for the Night Race there in the Mk3 Clio! Trying to sort my flat shift out in the yellow one this week!

Ash you are a little demon on track ehh ;) Nice meeting you too buddy, good luck with the night race..

TrackCar & F30 330d
Yes I thought that about the wiper motor and will order a new one today. I'm working on a faster gear change ;) but sometimes I forget and just want to rev it to ten k...

When are you back?? Be good to see you and do the chinky thing, ahh old times...

Yeah i watched all 50 mins of the Video (i have a lot of time on my hands) Deffently improved since the first video i saw.

I fly back on the 21st of December. We'll sort something out for the new year :) Or if you hurry up and get board of the Clio then we can build a new race car ;)

BMW Z4
Yeah i watched all 50 mins of the Video (i have a lot of time on my hands) Deffently improved since the first video i saw.

I fly back on the 21st of December. We'll sort something out for the new year :) Or if you hurry up and get board of the Clio then we can build a new race car ;)

I'd like to build a V6 Clio for racing as I love the shape :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Do you think a V6 would make a competitive race car? I heard they did not hadle to well? LOVE the look of them mind...

I doubt it as Renault didn't bother iirc. Only v6 racing was with the "megane". Although they were just a space frame to look like a megane

TrackCar & F30 330d
Do you think a V6 would make a competitive race car? I heard they did not hadle to well? LOVE the look of them mind...

Not building another bloody Clio!! haha!! Would be quite cool to the Throttle Body the V6 though!! Braaaawwww

I would assume you would want to move upwards in terms of racing class. Like VW Racing Cup so could build a Scirocco R or something like the BMW Racing Drivers Club and build an M3 or something! Your the Boss ;)

Did the little bump with the Seat cause any damage to the wheel/wing/bumper?

182cup & 172 racecar
A guy in Hungary raced a V6, some rich dentist, never did more than 6-7 laps lol. Thing was a beast when going though.

BMW Z4
A guy in Hungary raced a V6, some rich dentist, never did more than 6-7 laps lol. Thing was a beast when going though.

They look awesome and sound awesome but I heard they don't handle well. They grip and then let go and spin although that might be the Mk1 one and the Mk2 was better apparently. I think with good suspension and setup it should be ok though and then you just need to make it reliable which is down to build and prep I guess..

BMW Z4
I remember watching one at Harewood hillclimb the other year and it didn't even complete one full run all day just kept spinning off lol!

Perhaps better the put the maxi kit on then ;)

In saying that I LOVE a challenge and I would make it work and handle LOL. NO car can be THAT bad!

Haha I think it's all to do with the wheelbase length to the track width so have fun with that ;) No but in all seriousness there were the Clio v6 trophy which had a race series I think and they didn't always fall off the track! Would be an interesting project but still I think £ for £ wouldn't be as quick as yours

BMW Z4
Haha I think it's all to do with the wheelbase length to the track width so have fun with that ;) No but in all seriousness there were the Clio v6 trophy which had a race series I think and they didn't always fall off the track! Would be an interesting project but still I think £ for £ wouldn't be as quick as yours

It would look better and that is all that matters ;)

BMW Z4
So last race next week on the 10th at Brands and then I shall be selling the car or indeed parts of the car so I can start my new project.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
It would be a shame to break it as its such a great car, are you changing cars (another make) or building a V6.?

So last race next week on the 10th at Brands and then I shall be selling the car or indeed parts of the car so I can start my new project.

BMW Z4
It would be a shame to break it as its such a great car, are you changing cars (another make) or building a V6.?

Yes some things in life are a shame but I get as much if not more enjoyment out of the project as I do racing the car! I have many options ranging from not racing at all (getting married next year and also buying a house too) too buying a SeatCupra, to selling my car, to selling bits off my car so I can build something new.

Out of all those choices I have a mind to build in my personal style a RHD Clio cup car using my engine.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Yes it's very rewarding building your own car and then racing it and it has been very quick too.
Good luck next weekend !

BMW Z4
So My oil leak from the sump was masking an oil leak from the gearbox. Essentially the gripper has been machined incorrectly and leaks oil down the splines. The daft buggers have machined splines all the way down the shaft so oil leaks out underneath the sealing sleeve.

Renault Shaft

SNV82739.jpg

SNV82740.jpg

Gripper showing splines machined all the way down under the sleeve.

Gripper%20Shaft%20Splines.jpg

No O ring on shaft and oil leaks out under sleeve

Gripper%20Shaft.jpg

Mark..

BMW Z4
Ohhh foook! I remember someone having a leak issue with their gripper at Oulton, If Fred see's this he will remember as I can't remember what they did to fix it

I can't see how you can fix it short of a temp fix with silicone on the splines and im not paying 3 grand to use silicone to seal something up! It's machined incorrectly and I want my money back.

You could say i am slightly fucked off :mad:

I can't see how you can fix it short of a temp fix with silicone on the splines and im not paying 3 grand to use silicone to seal something up! It's machined incorrectly and I want my money back.

You could say i am slightly f**ked off :mad:
Yeah it could of been a different leak to be fair but there was a JC5 gripper that was leaking lol

No definitely not! Ouch at 3k

Good on you mate and yes I can imagine!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Not good that a simple thing like that was missed during design, a simple groove cut into the splines for a O ring that would then seal against the inside of the sleeve would be the easiest fix. But as you say after paying that sort of ££ for a diff having to make repairs isnt good.

BMW Z4
Not good that a simple thing like that was missed during design, a simple groove cut into the splines for a O ring that would then seal against the inside of the sleeve would be the easiest fix. But as you say after paying that sort of ££ for a diff having to make repairs isnt good.

That would not work as the splines go under the sleeve too, on the Renault design the section under the sleeve is a smooth tight fit to the sleeve..

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
That was a different problem James as the nut that holds the diff in had worked loose and pushed out the oil seal.

The spline thing isn't great you would have thought that would have been spotted when it was built.

Ohhh foook! I remember someone having a leak issue with their gripper at Oulton, If Fred see's this he will remember as I can't remember what they did to fix it

Cup In bits
That must be a secondary seal/cushion more than anything, there will be lip seal further in as there is nothing holding the inner CV tight against the box at all times. There would be O.E afaic

Arctic Blue FF 182
Knew I recognised your car when I was working up at Snett the other weekend, just couldn't think from where!! Car looked good and going well! Well done on the result!