ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction Kits - KEEP THE FILTERS OILED!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Thought I would post this up as its becoming a regular issue we are seeing at the workshop that will be costing you guys performance, reliability & the life of your engine, if you purchase an induction kit with a foam filter you need to keep it oiled other wise fine particles will not be filtered correctly, below are a few pictures (both of these kits had only covered a few thousand miles of road use) -

IMG_2275_zps7c49995b.jpg

IMG_2900_zps3cec809b.jpg

IMG_2902_zps75ff3759.jpg

Simply applying air filter oil / retention spray will avoid the above issue's, As can be seen the filters should not be run dry as many company's sell them.

Are these sprays just a silicone lubricant?

Or more like a WD40 type compound?

£8-10 a can seems expensive.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thought I would post this up as its becoming a regular issue we are seeing at the workshop that will be costing you guys performance, reliability & the life of your engine, if you purchase an induction kit with a foam filter you need to keep it oiled other wise fine particles will not be filtered correctly, below are a few pictures (both of these kits had only covered a few thousand miles of road use) -

That's worrying. I was under the impression the filters came pre-oiled generally? And will take 6-12k of abuse before re-oiling?

172 cup
What's the best spray/oil to use? Also I've seen cleaning spray, is that necessary? Or will a wash in warm water work?

I used ITG retention spray on my ktec IK, similar foam material on both. Ktecs own oiling kit wasn't spray on so used the ITG spray instead.

My k-tec induction kit only stops wasps everything else passes through.

On a serious note mine was dusty as hell, and recommend anyone who buys one to oil it again before fitting.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
that's really bad that they don't tell you this on the instructions!! Can someone link me up with some oil please? amazon or ebay...

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
My k-tec induction kit only stops wasps everything else passes through.

On a serious note mine was dusty as hell, and recommend anyone who buys one to oil it again before fitting.

Whoops!
I must've covered 5k since fitting mine.......
I'll get that sorted ASAP
I knew they needed oiling but not this soon :-/

How I do it, may not be the best method, but anyway:

I fill up the sink with HOT soapy water, take the cone itself off the silicone bend, put some soap over the foam and massage it in, then like a cup scoop the hot water into the inside with the idea that it will reverse out any dust thats been sucked in.

Do that a few times covering all sides, then stick the cold tap inside the filter washing any soap out. Ideally left to air dry but I do speed it up with a hair-dryer. Being careful because its easy so singe the foam.

Then spray a liberal amount of oil all over the outside, not ridiculous amounts. Massage it in then refit. I try to do it every 3 or 4 months, mine probably needs doing again.

I dont like how flimsy the mesh is on the inside of the ktec though.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Not the cheapest you can buy it. But easily accessable to most.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...&productId=184958&categoryId=165660&langId=-1

Google "itg light duty dust retention spray ".......Heavy duty is only needed if you intend on doing the dakar rally

thanks for the link ;)

How I do it, may not be the best method, but anyway:

I fill up the sink with HOT soapy water, take the cone itself off the silicone bend, put some soap over the foam and massage it in, then like a cup scoop the hot water into the inside with the idea that it will reverse out any dust thats been sucked in.

Do that a few times covering all sides, then stick the cold tap inside the filter washing any soap out. Ideally left to air dry but I do speed it up with a hair-dryer. Being careful because its easy so singe the foam.

Then spray a liberal amount of oil all over the outside, not ridiculous amounts. Massage it in then refit. I try to do it every 3 or 4 months, mine probably needs doing again.

I dont like how flimsy the mesh is on the inside of the ktec though.

thanks for this info. if anyone else has any tips, please share :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I used to put mine in the dishwasher. Re oil, re fit.

I'll do the same with the race car.

I'm suprised so many people don't know they have to oil a filter. I've never seen a box where it doesn't say that it needs oiling.

Ive got a feeling you can use different oil thats why i asked, Surely K&N, ITG etc are just canning the stuff up and bumping the price.

Does anyone know what type of oil it is?

Sprays of oil can be had for £2-3!