ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the Clio 182 actually that great?

I touched on this topic a week or so ago because I'd taken my 306XSi for a short spin up the close and back. Well, over the last few days I have been a busy bee, getting it legal again and road worthy. MOT, insurance and TAX.

Today I finally got the chance, after a wash and hoover and an insertion of the new tax disk, to take her for a good B-road blast and it blew me away! Of course it's 'slower' than the 182, but the ride quality, driving position, and handling are all better. The steering feel is far more weighty and the steering wheel is actually a realistic size. The whole car just feels more fluid than my 182. Much of this is because of the absurd steering wheel, and chair height in the 182.

Don't get me wrong. The Clio is quicker by some margin, and ultimately more fun, but my 12 year old 123bhp Peugeot 306 feels a far more sorted drivers car. I can only imagine how good the 306 GTi-6 must be :approve:

I had a 9 year old 135bhp xsi before the clio Roy , and what great car's they are , youv'e touched on the good point's in your post!

That xsi of mine started first time every time , even in the dead of winter, the clios not started first time about 6 times in two months in this weather!, i'm not looking forwerd too frozen 7 oclock mornings!:)

The car had done 85k!!!!

If the GTI6 was a few years newer i may have stayed with pug.

Don't get me wrong i love my little clio, and i do feel safer going round the bend's, but i still can't get comphy in two months!:)

leon

I had a 9 year old 135bhp xsi before the clio Roy

Yeah that would be the phase II, 16v with 134bhp and smoother styling. Mine is the phase I, 8v 123bhp. It's not rapid by any means, but it is the perfect example of supple, pliant, yet brilliant handling. I took it down some roads that I use in my 182 and TBH I think I had more fun. Scary really for such a slower and older car.

So you've fallen out of love with the clio then roy?

Not really, no. I have issues with the ownership that I've made very public but those are not the points of this thread. I have no reason to be bias, as both cars are going soon anyway, to make way for my MkII bread van. This is merely an honest comparison between a 12 year old warm hatch, and the legendary 182 hot hatch. I don't actually think the 182 is as good as it's cracked up to be, as a drivers car.

tiTTy & SV650
had a drive of a 306 gti wouldn't piss on it if it was on fire really s**t for what they r:)

what bullshit, a great car - the gearbox makes it, always in the power band and not far off the 172 / 182 for pace. Better handling and driving position as said.

Breaking A 172 Replica
If you don't like the driving position get buckets. If you don't like the steering wheel get an aftermarket wheel. Buy 2nd hand and they won't depreciate very much at all and you will keep your original seats and wheel mint.

You are loking at 100 at most for the whole time you have the car.

Sam

The top end 306's are really a really nice hot hatch, when did they stop making them 2001?

There a futre classic , just like the clio is/ will be!

Creadit where it's due!

leon

If you don't like the driving position get buckets. If you don't like the steering wheel get an aftermarket wheel. Buy 2nd hand and they won't depreciate very much at all and you will keep your original seats and wheel mint.

You are loking at 100 at most for the whole time you have the car.

Sam

This is about the standard car though mate in all honesty. If you don't like an F1 car get coilovers? Not the point of this thread at all :)

tiTTy & SV650
As for the clio, it's not as raw as a 205gti, Williams, old golf gti etc BUT it's still fun, handles well - far better than a lot of it's competitors.

And if you're disillusioned by the 182 as being a drivers car wait till you get a CTR lol I wouldn't say its more of a drivers car, sure it sounds good on vtech and has nice seats...

As for the clio, it's not as raw as a 205gti, Williams, old golf gti etc BUT it's still fun, handles well - far better than a lot of it's competitors.

And if you're disillusioned by the 182 as being a drivers car wait till you get a CTR lol I wouldn't say its more of a drivers car, sure it sounds good on vtech and has nice seats...

The CTR is not the point of this thread.

tiTTy & SV650
well you're saying you don't think the 182 is great and have bought one so it's gonna be mentioned.

New thread: Is the CTR actually that great?

well you're saying you don't think the 182 is great and have bought one so it's gonna be mentioned.

New thread: Is the CTR actually that great?

Go for it. Back to this thread...

TBH if you read what I typed. My biggest drivers car issues with the 182 are the comedy driving position and joke twirly steering that's about 10 turns lock-to-lock.

R35 GTR
I think the 182 as standard is a good fun drive, can be thrown round islands screaming, bringing the oversteer/understeer on and off with quite a bit of time to correct. Very easy car to drive imo. Got all the toys, looks great, and goes like s**t off a shovel. I know mine has a turbo, but its still a great car as standard.:)

R35 GTR
I think the 182 as standard is a good fun drive, can be thrown round islands screaming, bringing the oversteer/understeer on and off with quite a bit of time to correct. Very easy car to drive imo. Got all the toys, looks great, and goes like s**t off a shovel. I know mine has a turbo, but its still a great car as standard.:)

I'm slightly biased though, its my third clio.

tiTTy & SV650
Oh I read it, and agree with the seat position and think power steering on small cars is just ghey.

And I agree the 306 is a nicer car to be in and gives better feel, as did my 205gti. But my 182 is a much better car all round, no real compromise on handling but there is a lack of feel imo.

Octavia VRS
The 182s I've driven I have really enjoyed. True the steering wheel is from a ship and I felt like I was sitting on top of the seat rather than in it but the rest of the package brings mostly smiles. Sometimes I still think if I should have went for a low mileage 182...

182 FF
I used to own a gti6, great cars, I loved mine, was a minter with a few performance mods - Lowered, full S/S exhaust, chipped. Great handling car. Genuine smile on face car :)

I've only had my 182 for a week, I think it is every bit as good as the 306gti6. Dodgy seat position - just takes time getting used to it. Apart from that I have no faults with it. Only thing I am looking into at the moment is lowering it slightly.

As previously mentioned I think that 172/182's will be come the classic cars of the future just as gti6's are becoming now.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I had a 306 S16 , and tbh i think it was a much nicer car to drive than my 182 . As said better seating position , steering wheel position and handled better than the 182 imo . It was only slightly slower , 155bhp for a car that would be 13 years old now is pretty good i reckon .

Like lasbazzre said . Pity they still don't make the GTI-6 anymore as that might have swayed my decision when i bought my 172 and 182 . Don't get me wrong the 1*2's are great little cars . But the driving position is a bit of joke . The first time i drove one i thought i was driving a tranny van i felt so high up . And i don't really think you should have fit aftermarket seats and steering wheels , these things should be sorted from the factory .

Then again i wouldn't swap my 182 for the rather mundane looking 197 ;)

clio 182 ff
had a drive of a 306 gti wouldn't piss on it if it was on fire really s**t for what they r:)

what bulls**t, a great car - the gearbox makes it, always in the power band and not far off the 172 / 182 for pace. Better handling and driving position as said.

yeah right wouldn't have one if someone gave me one for free.
the clio is a miles better car all around yeah it has got a few ups an downs but so has every other car :)

what bulls**t, a great car - the gearbox makes it, always in the power band and not far off the 172 / 182 for pace. Better handling and driving position as said.

the clio is a miles better car all around yeah it has got a few ups an downs but so has every other car :)

What don't you like about the 306? You're entitled to an opinion of course, but TBH at the moment you're just posting glib remarks with no real basis that I can see. Not really ideal for a discussion about drivers cars that should involve car fans :)

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Yep have to agree with the masses here the seating position is a pain, but overall good drivers car, I rate the 306 gti-6 v highly a bloke near me had one for years id always liked them. he had some mods (unsure what but at least exhaust & induction) I had a few fun times keeping up or trying too !!!! Even harder to keep up with him now as he has a Leon.

106 GTi
Seating postition and relationship with the wheel are much better on the 306, would not swap my old XSi for the 182 though. Driving a normal 306 everyday even the seating postion in that is better than my 182.

Standard v Standard I much prefer the 172/182 over a GTi 6 handling wise.

clio 182 ff

What don't you like about the 306? You're entitled to an opinion of course, but TBH at the moment you're just posting glib remarks with no real basis that I can see. Not really ideal for a discussion about drivers cars that should involve car fans :)

for one the dash is so ugly in side didn't like how it handle talking about a stanard one here yeah it hand power fair play on that. like i said the clio is much better all around. who cares about the seating postion i'm 22 not 50. u r right on one thing they r fast i'll give it that:)

My trusty lil 182 :)
I prefer the clio tbh. Think the driving position in earlier 306s was better, but later ones you seemed to perch like you do in the clio. Found the 306s gave less warning that the back was going to step out as well so couldn't lean on them quite so much.

R

rich[182]

I think the 182 is a great car for what it is and the price, the only 2 things I was slightly disappointed with were
1 - Too much body roll, even with cup pack suspension
2 - Exhaust note a bit weak

Bear in mind you can pickup a mint standard 1 owner FSH with 15k miles for under £9k and then compare that to over 15 years ago when a brand new Fiesta RS Turbo fetched arround £12k, most mainstream hot hatches could only dream of 180bhp then, and required several hundred quids worth of generally unreliable mods on the engine alone

Peddled device
Those 'older' hot-hatches were great.Even though my 182 is better at everything than my old 205gti it doesn't have that kart-like feel and precision.

Can a 182 Cup be modded to have that kind of feel?

The GTI6 was 18/19k new so quite pricey!

Remeber the old car mag add's? " the Peugot GTI6 slowest car in it's class "

It was a picture of a 6 going round a banked track folloing a handful of super car's !:)

Cos of the 6 speed box;)

leon

MINI JCW
To be honest I have never thought the 182 was as amazing a the evo and co made it out to me but it is a bloody good car.

In Roy's case i think he is just bored of it

Dude , Renault couldn't emulate 'warm' 90's hatches , due to health and safety and ncap s**t.I'm still pretty sure the 182 is over-tyred . I drove a Phase 1 172 on 15's and was seriously impressed by the much better turn in ability.

The 182 is STILL the best blend of old school 80's/90's hatches and modern day power plant and drivetrain technology.

CASE CLOSED

so let me get this straight....

the 1*2's dont have height adjustable seats or stearing wheels????:S

now ive never driven a 1*2 so my opionion probably wont count for much but i agree with some of the above statements...

older cars do have a much better feel to them. used to drive my brothers 205gti white alot and it was great. the most fun ive had driving a car by far.
as for the 306 surely its just a slightly bigger heavier version of the 205gti? so it would still lose some of its feel compaired to this.

as for the newer cars and this goes for most newer "hot hatches" they definalty wont have the same 'go-kart' feel to them as a 20 or 13yr old design becasue of safty laws and new technology.

shame that they cant make a clio 1*2 without abs,pas, and all the extra stuff thats not really needed to make a 'drivers car'

just the engine, shell and seats will do for me ;)

Scirocco GT 210

They do. The seat just doesn't go low enough for some people and it's the actual size of the steering wheel which is the issue, the diameter is huge.

They do. The seat just doesn't go low enough for some people and it's the actual size of the steering wheel which is the issue, the diameter is huge.

I don't have a problem with the steering wheel size, it the seat hight, so i have the steering wheel nearly too the top ( blanking out most of my dash ) and my seat nearly right back, if i have it right back i'm streaching slightly, i'm 5:10 so not overly tall or short, i think it's the hight of the pedel's also!

leon

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The wheel is too big. I recently sold my 172 cup that had trendlines and a 320mm steering wheel. I have now got a 182. Couldn't beleive how high you sat and how big the wheel is. Put my trendlines in the 182 now and it helps bet the wheel is still HHHUUUGGE! Think i'll replace it again with a 320mm momo. Best wheel in a standard car i've had is a punto turbo one. Proper leather (ie doesnt melt etc) and nice and small. Perfecion. oh and it adjusted awesomely too!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had a 172mk2, 182 cup, now a 306 rallye. Clio has more secure handling, more grunt, better brakes, and ridiculous front end bite. 306 has better driving position, steering, more fun handling (lift off :cool: ) and because of the lower limits, you get to enjoy the handling more often. Would take a confident driver to stay with the 182 on a difficult road.

NEED V6!
My borther has a 306 GTI not that great through corners and straight line but still fun to drive, but the driving position is alot better.