ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It nearly went all wrong..

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Sweet jesus and mother of troy!!!:S

Just came the closest to a high speed crash ever on the way to work and feeling a little bit weak legged.

My own fault really for doing a silly speed (135MPH) but with the speed limit at 110MPH,its not really uncommon to see people giving it the max. Anyway....blasting along nearly reaching top speed and travelling in the fast lane,a guy in a Corolla pulls into the fast lane even though the 2nd lane is clear :eek: . I literally had about 1 second to decide what to do and opted to hit the brakes hard and fish tailed for about 2/300 metres. I came within 10 inches of smacking into the central reservation at 115MPH and that would of been goodnight me.

My confidence was already a little sceptical in the brakes after a similar incident when travelling at 60MPH but now my confidence has just been shot to pieces, even under normal braking sometimes i can feel the car trying to get away from me.

So a few lessons learnt this morning.... Don't go for gold unless the road is empty and b) wait til i get new brakes and new underwear.

Clio 197
Gosh!

I'd have your brakes checked out.

My car will stand on it's nose, and will continue in a straight line under hard braking, even from speeds over 100 MPH.

I can let go of the steering, and squash the brake pedal - straight line all the way.

Check the usual:

1) Tyre tread
2) Tyre pressure
3) Wheel balancing
4) Tracking
5) Brake fulid/bleeding
6) Brake pads (all moving freely, equal wear)

You can also check:
7) Springs
8) Dampers
9) ABS rings

A set of Eibach sporlines + 5mm wheel spacers really helped stabilise my car.

I found that a bolted-in front strut brace helped with hard braking (keeping the car straight), just that little extra 5%.

Finally:

If your ESP was trying to correct the car as well as you trying to correct the car - then that may have caused the fish-tailing.

In my experience, it doesn't like to change the steering much once it's started correcting itself.

Glad you're here to tell the tale! (PS I may be over in Dubai this month).

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Hi Oms,
I've just fitted new tyres and they were balanced and pressure was correct so i can rule out 1-4 i think but i'll be getting the tracking checked anyway.

Definately need to check 5-8. I didn't see the ESP light flashing although as mentioned elsewhere,i feel it corrects the car before the light flashes.

It was a horrible experience as i've read the brakes can stand upto high speed braking but it appears not in my case.

Let me know when you're over and we'll go for a drink

Golf R
just to add something further to this, my Trophy had similar experiences under hard braking and i had the geometry checked. with a bit of a change to camber and toe-in my cars now pulls up in a straight line when braking with no scary experiences yet

had the same happen to me mate, never noticed a speed camera, and it started fish tailing.. the clios are just nervous under hard braking.. lucky boy though! :D

C

clio172cup20

I Fish tailed when i was being stupid racing a golf GTI!!!
Put the power down round a bend and started to understear bad!!!
Heading towards the curb, hit the breaks...fishtailed for a 50 yards...
Got my car back.... and floored it past the GTI

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
clio172cup20 said:

that just sounds like a bad case of LOFT.

(lack of fcuking talent ;))

C

clio172cup20

superfastdan said:

100% right mate, I cant drive for s**t...
All fun tho!!! Every mistake I always learn something!!

I might go on some advanced driving courses!!!

80MPG BEEZA
my car's fish tailed on me a fiesta zetec s trying to race me i waited till he got almost past me then booted it and left him slowing down from about 80 for a roundabout i left it late and it started fishing i released the brake then re applied it and it stopped it enough for me to fly around the corner

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Sounds like you had a right close call there. I'm glad you managed to get out of it aright. I have't had any problems like that with my Clio, although I do believe the front brakes might now need replacing. I dislike ABS at the best of times, but when the pads are wearing abit low it sems they snatch and grab abit more, and I really hate that. It doesn't give me much confidence in my brakes. Thank God I don't rely on them that's all I can say. Will book her in asap. It very much sounds like you may have a few things to check out. Good luck with it.

172 ff
lets hope itl teach you a lesson regardless of the speed limit there is no need to go that fast in a go kart with crap brakes, my 182 always used to pull to either side under hard braking

Golf GTI PP Mk7
i never had to wallop the anchors on from high speed in my cup, but its usually stable at lower speeds.

really glad ur ok man, 135mph is a bit silly though isnt it? lol.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
I disagree,i'll continue to drive like i do under the right circumstances but i won't be pushing past a ton until i get the brakes looked at.

Until you've seen the roads here you wouldn't understand the conditions. They are 4/5 lanes and massively wider than the UK and the particular road i travel on is perfectly straight and smooth.

135MPH was perfectly safe,i've gone quicker before and probably would try for more but it tops out. I've been passed doing 140MPH by a SLR which must of been pushing 200MPH.

And just to add,i only probably go for that speed for a few minutes as the noise is pretty loud and i munch through petrol pretty quickly going that fast. I reguarly cruise at 100MPH,well within the speed limit.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
ah fair play then, lol. 135mph down the m6 here in the uk wud probably be excessive.

But if the condidtions are right, give it a gd hammering. Ur right about fuel tho, as soon as my cup goes over 100mph u can almost physically see the needle going down.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Exactly plus i forgot to mention its pretty empty too,why some bonehead decided to cross from the 3rd lane to the fast lane when both were clear i'll never know and i was flashing my lights to warn him i was trucking!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Dubai182 said:
I disagree,i'll continue to drive like i do under the right circumstances but i won't be pushing past a ton until i get the brakes looked at.

Until you've seen the roads here you wouldn't understand the conditions. They are 4/5 lanes and massively wider than the UK and the particular road i travel on is perfectly straight and smooth.

135MPH was perfectly safe,i've gone quicker before and probably would try for more but it tops out. I've been passed doing 140MPH by a SLR which must of been pushing 200MPH.

And just to add,i only probably go for that speed for a few minutes as the noise is pretty loud and i munch through petrol pretty quickly going that fast. I reguarly cruise at 100MPH,well within the speed limit.

I agree, m8. I've had the 'pleasure' of driving over there and a quick 80-90mph to us is almost pedestrian to the highways over in Dubai.

Glad to hear that you're ok though. I've only had to use the anchors on the 182 once in anger, but at a guess, I was probably only doing 60mph at the time. To be doing double that and rely on the same brakes? Hmmmm. Rather you than me, is all I can say....

D.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
clio172cup20 said:

Oh boy.

superfastdan said:

Yeah, because you would have just chucked it sideways, oppo locked and rung yer Mum on yer mobile while you were at it.:rolleyes:

133/225/CLS AMG
I guess its all a learning curve!! Although I wouldn't fancy trying to stop a car at 135mph, no matter what car.

I've had the back end of my Megane go a bit light on me a couple of times. Its deceptive when you're going fast, purely due to it being very planted and quiet!! Dual carriageway, totally clear, hit about 80 then realised a roundabout is ahead but on a slight bend. Braked pretty hard and felt the rear wanting to overtake me!! lol Luckily the stoppers on that are pretty impressive!! Still makes you realise I guess.

Scruffy blue 182
Dubai182 said:

Club outing to Dubai anyone?;) . Glad your OK mate.

Clio 197
AlexJMills said:
I guess its all a learning curve!! Although I wouldn't fancy trying to stop a car at 135mph, no matter what car.

I've had the back end of my Megane go a bit light on me a couple of times. Its deceptive when you're going fast, purely due to it being very planted and quiet!! Dual carriageway, totally clear, hit about 80 then realised a roundabout is ahead but on a slight bend. Braked pretty hard and felt the rear wanting to overtake me!! lol Luckily the stoppers on that are pretty impressive!! Still makes you realise I guess.

Do about 120 in your 225, and stand on the brakes.

The rear wheels will actually lift off the ground a good few inches! :eek:

Hours of fun!

ST
Leeshez said:
That sounds lucky

Thats more than lucky...

morethan8.jpg

ST
Did you have your neon kit on at the time down the maccy d's in hamilton when you were doin these silly speads?? ^^