ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jailbreaking: A Guide... & Best Features.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Siriport isn't installing for me, message comes up saying the requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies... :S

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Jailbreaking makes the phone what it is, without I'd get rid of the iPhone....why don't you like?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I have been jail breaking since the first iPhone pal but i find them much more stable and responsive in an un-jailbroken state. There is nothing I want that I cannot get un-jailbroken.

These days the only thing I would jailbreak for is Siri but until someone gets a fully functioning version without all the work arounds i'll leave it.

Mk2 Golf GTI
I already have that app, jailbroke my phone and it still works.

Thanks. Don't know why mine won't work then.

Has anyone else's been really slow and unstable since the latest JB? I'm getting a few apps like myfitnesspal, where's my water, newsstand etc that don't load first time or even at all.

My camera is soooo slow to load too. Think I will remove the JB and see of it improves.

260% JCW
Got it sorted last night, no problems really, used Absinthe in the end.

Just out of interest I've heard from some jailbreak haters that when you return the phone to standard there are issues with the phone not working ect. Is this gen or myth?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Got it sorted last night, no problems really, used Absinthe in the end.

Just out of interest I've heard from some jailbreak haters that when you return the phone to standard there are issues with the phone not working ect. Is this gen or myth?

The only time you should have an issue is if you return to standard but then restore from a backup from when your phone was jailbroken.
It's always best to start a fresh in that case.
Anything you change whilst jailbroken is always reversible.

Focus RS + S3
hi guys, another noob here

i have an iphone 4 running ios 5.0.1

and have found this is what i need to jailbreak it
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18989&laid=

after i jailbreak, how do i get my contacts, pics, messages and all that to my now jailbroken phone?
plus im assuming the above guide to jailbreak will allow me to switch my phone on and off fine when im out and about? i believe this is called untethered? lol

cheers for the help

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Rough guide for phones NOT on iOS 5....

1. Make a backup of your phone to iCloud (just in case)

2. Plug in iphone to itunes.

3. Right click on iPhone and transfer purchases.

4. Right click and backup iPhone.

5. Close iTunes.

6. Open redsn0w.

7. Click jailbreak and install cydia (follow on screen instructions)

8. Once jailbroken, reconnect to iTunes.

9. Right click iPhone and restore from backup or restore from iClour backup.

If you are jailbreaking a phone already on IOS5 then simply do steps 6 and 7.

The jailbreak requires the user to put the phone in DFU mode, and people can mess this step up and put the phoen in recovery mode by accident, this then requires a restore so its good to always have a recent backup!

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
What is going on with my phone?

Currently jailbroken on 4.3.5 and i'm trying to update it to 5.0.1 through itunes but it always come up with 'error 1602' when i try to update or restore.

Tried various things and nothing seems to work.

260% JCW
I've been looking into problems arising with restoring the phone back to factory, apparently if you had any apps that hide files, change settings ect then you have to remove the apps before restoring the phone.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
If I was to reset back to factory settings on the phone, would that get rid of the jail break or just get rid of my photos etc?

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
In your jailbreak, have you got wifisync installed from cydia? If so, uninstall that from cydia and try again...

Also, maybe worth downloading PKGBackup in cydia to backup all your repos and plsit files etc so that you can restore a backup from dropbox of all your jailbreak stuff...

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
In your jailbreak, have you got wifisync installed from cydia? If so, uninstall that from cydia and try again...

Also, maybe worth downloading PKGBackup in cydia to backup all your repos and plsit files etc so that you can restore a backup from dropbox of all your jailbreak stuff...

Haven't got wifi sync.

the code is something to do with itunes apparently but no of the solutions are working.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Is iTunes up to date? What packages have you got installed via Cydia? Are you updating or restoring?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I have got the latest itunes.

I am trying to update to get 5.0.1 but have also tried restoring but both come up with the 1602 error.

Inferno 182 CUP
what happens for those who are jailbroke and then ios 5.1 is released?

can we jjust upgrade and the jailbreak is wiped?

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
what happens for those who are jailbroke and then ios 5.1 is released?

can we jjust upgrade and the jailbreak is wiped?

Yes, take a backup of your phone first, and if you have lots of packages in cydia, download PKGBackup and backup your jailbreak stuff...

200 Gordini
Is there a way of my iPhone and iPad syncing my installous apps I download? Will AppSync do this or will I need to download the app on each device?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Is there an app from Cydia that will work on ios5 like mywi?
Had it before I update my phone and now it won't work unless I pay for it! I had the extended licence jobby on it but won't work now.

Just tried to Jailbreak someones phone for them, it is a 3GS running 5.0.1.

It looks like it has all worked and Cydia is installed however the phone still seems locked to Orange? Anyone got any ideas?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I dont get this jailbreaking thing? I had a quick scan through but can only really find people asking on how to set up.

What benefits does it bring? sorry if its already been asked.

Do most people do this to there iphone too?

Bus w**ker
Short version is that it gives you control and access to you whole phone and not just what Apple say you can. There are a lot of benefits to doing it but for most it's because they're too tight to pay for a 69p app and can get most of them for free once jailbroke.

Millions of people across the world run jailbroke iPhones but I wouldn't say most. It's a hassle, comes with some danger and for the average none geeky user they just don't care or need to.

Basically if you're not running in to issues using your phone as it comes and can't think of a benefit to jailbreaking it then I wouldn't bother. I've not been jailbroke since the beta of iOS 5 and there's little tweaks I really miss but I can live with vanilla.

Just jailbroken my 4 as my network doesn't support personal hotspot and I want to enable it for my new iPad. It's literally another world! What's this sinful iphone repo thing?

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
ive just jailbroken my iphone4, unsuccessfully, think ive bricked it

basically, ran red snow, this crashed after installing software to phone.

Phone is now stuck in recovery mode, (usb cable and itunes on screen)

Tried to restore via latest itunes but get error 3194

Edited the host file, still get error..

Stuck

Phone is now useless? Any ideas?>

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Yeah tried it in DFU mode, seems to be no different

However now its in Itunes, and "Preparing iphone for restore"

but it dossnt seem to be doing anything?