ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just had a blow out

ibiza cupra
on the way back from my moms, was going down the m6 in the fast lane when i herd a big gust of air then my back end stepped out. managed to keep control of it, wacked the hazards on and drifted into the hard shoulder to have a look to be greeted by this
Photo0809.gif

so put the spair on and went home with a pair of brown pants lol

Ohh nasty.

At least your not hurt and the only thing needing replaced is the tyre and your pants :p

Lucky i say

Well done keeping it controlled, my cousins Golf had a rear blowout and he ended up spinning into the central barrier!

172 mk2/racing puma
that was not a blowout as such you were driving with low pressure in your tyre and it got hot through the friction off the road and the tyre let go i see this a lot as i run a tyre shop

ibiza cupra
that was not a blowout as such you were driving with low pressure in your tyre and it got hot through the friction off the road and the tyre let go i see this a lot as i run a tyre shop
i checked the pressure not that long ago and it was fine. the tyre was an acceltra or somthing like that its the last one of them on the car any way as all the rest are contisport contact 3`s so at least they will all match now lol.

172 mk2/racing puma
did you pay much for the conti just being nosey and curious to know what they charge in birmingham compared to london

ibiza cupra
was virtually no wear on them at all. that why i was like "ohh `ello ,whats happnin here then".
i was between juntcion 8 and 7 heading south bound. was just getting into rush hour traffic too so that in its self was scary.
the conti sports go for about £80 + fitting round by me so about £90 -95 all in.

Yeah main thing is your safe, i recently hit a pot hole and absolutely destroyed my alloy.... Was pee'd off and gutted to say the least!

ibiza cupra
they are 35mm drop springs why? could that have caused it?
i did think it might be somthing ti do with that but ive never heard of it happening before on here and the other side is fine (checked when i got home) ive also had the spings on for a year and there is no sign of old damage to the tyre thats fookd so i though it must be somthing else. i think the most likly thing to have caused it is low pressure. did check them not that long ago but but maybe it got a slow puncure or somthing.

ibiza cupra
^ this is the only logical reason i can think as to why it happened. if the camber was out, would i notice it in the handling? as i didnt notice anything.

Erm no... if it was flat like you suggested it would have been the wheel taking chunks out the sidewall as it sat on the road. I think it was a blowout and this was just a result of the tyre having no air.

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
Erm no... if it was flat like you suggested it would have been the wheel taking chunks out the sidewall as it sat on the road. I think it was a blowout and this was just a result of the tyre having no air.

Underinflation causes the sidewalls to get hot, it doesn't neccesarilly take chunks out of the sidewall as the tyre is a low profile and the strong sidewalls will support the weight.
Doesn't stop it from getting hot and damaging the carcass in the process though.
Underinflation is probably the biggest cause for blowouts.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tirefail.htm

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah, I thought I had a blow out on the M53 and the garage I went to said the same as you. Said I must have been driving it with low pressure in the tyre as I had a massive f**k off slit like above. However, like the OP I used to check the pressures in the Williams once a week and was never below say 27psi so was really suprised by what they said as I knew it wasn't low. However, in fairness I never had an explosion, the tyre went light and flat within seconds which was bizzare.

Underinflation causes the sidewalls to get hot, it doesn't neccesarilly take chunks out of the sidewall as the tyre is a low profile and the strong sidewalls will support the weight.
Doesn't stop it from getting hot and damaging the carcass in the process though.
Underinflation is probably the biggest cause for blowouts.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tirefail.htm
The only reason the sidewall gets hot is because it comes into contact with the road surface, I used the term chunks loosely. The wheel compresses the sidewall onto the road and forms a groove which weakens the sidewall. Thats what causes the blow out. A tyre will last about 5 mins if it is "that" low on pressure.
After the blow out the wheel tends to rip chunks out the sidewall.

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
The sidewall on a low profile will not neccesarilly come into contact with the road especially if its on the rear of a light front wheel drive car, id wager if you went and deflated the rear tyre on your clio the sidewalls would hardly bulge let alone sit on the road surface.
The main reason the sidewall gets hot is because it is taking the full load of the car and is compressing and tensioning itself with the frequency of the road surface - many times a second.
Even on a run flat tyre the whole tyre will get ridiculously hot in no time at all with no air pressure in the carcass,bviously these are designed to support the weight of the car without hardly any sidewall deformation and certainly not coming into contact with the road surface at all.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks nasty. :( Luckily it sounds like the tyre was the only damage caused.

Would a blow-out have caused more 'ripping' of the tyre, rather than the clean looking split on the tyre in the pic?

D.

Golf GTD Mk7
glad it was nothing serious mate. lucky it was the rear in some respects.

lol.love how the thread has now turned into a tyre debate. :D

ibiza cupra
went and got a new tyre today and the guy there said that it looks like somthing has caught it and torn the tyre. had a proper look in the light and there are a few chunks missing from it so looks like somthing did burst it. had a look and i cant see nothing that would have caught it other than the top of the shock absorber, there is like a metal sleeve that goes around it at the very top but there is no rubbing marks on the inside of the wheel arch and i think the shock would bottom out before the wheel got that high into the arch to get to it. checked the spring and that fine too so there must have been somthin in the road that caught my tyre in the wrong spot at the wrong time. just unlucky (i hope lol).

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Sounds like an Accellera....truly awful budget tyre.

Glad you managed to keep the thing pointing the right way! Brown pants will always wash out...

you've just made me get the credit card out and buy the 2 new rear tyres which are long overdue... mine are cracking badly on the sidewalls. You've probably just saved my life.

Well caught too, can't have been easy in the fast lane.

BG 182 FF
When the only thing keeping you on the road is those 4 patches of rubber the size of a tennis ball, it's a damn good idea to make sure you have good tyres and keep them well maintained no?