ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K20 powered 172

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Almost looks finished 😉

9784A675-BDC1-4A91-B37D-7CAF204E6CC4.jpeg
8D5CBDC8-ECA5-4C64-BADC-A082906EA2F4.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks. Defo worth the time in fettling and being picky where it sat.
Could of definitely got in wrong very easily and quickly.
Thankfully the engine sits perfectly level across the bay and has the same tilt angle as the standard EP3 chassis/mounts.

This just looks so good. What’s the deal with the wiring with it. Do you have to make something of both sets and run part Clio/ part k20 or do you just have to go stand alone?

Also do you have any pics of how the front (if it adds one)/rear mounts sit?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
This just looks so good. What’s the deal with the wiring with it. Do you have to make something of both sets and run part Clio/ part k20 or do you just have to go stand alone?

Also do you have any pics of how the front (if it adds one)/rear mounts sit?

Wiring I haven’t decided what route to go just yet.
I’ve got a Cartek PDP panel and AIM dash so pretty easy hopefully. Only Clio parts will be brake lights, indicators, wiper and intank fuel pump.

Can see the rear dog bone in this pic
02A4D6A3-9A41-47C9-8B1D-C421064E44BE.jpeg

No front mount but the Front is pretty good for space now bar the thermostat. Can just make out everything with the top hose off.
7232795D-3656-42CA-81EC-DFB311501246.jpeg

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Unbelievable, amazing work - cant wait for some vids!

I will go back and read everything I promise, but before I do - how comes different turrets and subframe?

Cheers mate.

Turrets, mine were cracking where the 3 bolts were drilled for bolt in top mounts. So the caster kit from PMS was the easiest solution with a bit of man math including the upgrade.

Subframe is PMS first design suspension, tubular arms, strengthened subframe, roll centre correction, Laguna hubs etc.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
ECU and wiring stuff ordered 👌🏻 Couple weeks wait but that’s another big step.
Ordered little odds like sensors , jubilee clips, new cv nuts and other boring stuff.

Awaiting something import for the inside, been waiting ages and can’t move forward until it arrives. so annoying as everything is centred around it

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
More parts arriving 😁

So ECU, full race spec engine loom and universal Kswap harness to match engine loom ordered.

Engine loom was in stock so that’s arrived and test fitted already

Brand new everything and everything specced to race/Motorsport with a lovely bulk head plug 👌🏻

7F62266C-225D-4F8F-B91E-D1546ECCE1B7.jpeg

7341B359-2E26-4545-97B8-F526522C02E6.png

36BA7314-FD17-4454-A008-29A71898C230.jpeg

302190B0-7067-48B2-80B5-EACBFA5D3537.jpeg

Also ordered a shifter tower from Turn12 Fabrication. I ordered and paid for a one off tower so it should’ve had a plate welded to the bottom with the exact dimensions I needed to cover the Clio’s standard shifter hole. Many weeks and chasing later it arrives as a standard bolt in tower for the EP3s. Obviously not happy and I’m not waiting around for him to sort it so will have to sort it myself.

AD346956-DEB7-4F06-BDC9-FAECF5069FC5.jpeg

Ive also purchased @RuskiWeldShit first cartek panel tower he made as he decided to replace it with a carbon version 👌🏻

So i need to make all this fit on the exhaust tunnel so how 😂

64EEA3EF-4247-476C-B387-DDD30D08269E.jpeg

also order new brake hose retaining clips from Renault

74044067-4869-4587-BB7B-651E694AB3FD.jpeg

hopefully some progress soon. 🤞🏻🤙🏻

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I've got to stop reading the updates you post, the noises I'm making are defo making the wife think I'm looking at p**n.

(if I've missed it, sorry) what you doing about running a handbrake? Looks a bit tight for the people handbrake handle

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
What shifter cables you going to use? My HR shifter is set a fair bit further back than yours and I’ve struggled finding cables the correct length

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I've got to stop reading the updates you post, the noises I'm making are defo making the wife think I'm looking at p**n.

(if I've missed it, sorry) what you doing about running a handbrake? Looks a bit tight for the people handbrake handle

😂😂 my wife’s asking why I’m laughing 😂😂

I’ll leave it in hear and chock the wheels 😂
I wasn’t planning on refitting the handbrake to be honest. Depends if it’s required in whatever race series I enter eventually

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
What shifter cables you going to use? My HR shifter is set a fair bit further back than yours and I’ve struggled finding cables the correct length

Ive got hybrid racing cables but not sure if I’ll use them as they’re massively long. I want to use them as they look much better than Oe cables.
When I redo the cage I’ll be looking at Moving the seat further back but not this year.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Managed to drill and tap the shifter tower.
Pretty poor design considering it’s designed for this type of shifter as the mounting holes for the shifter line up with the legs and weld underneath🤦🏻‍♂️ Had to mount it over and back to get the front 2 bolt holes in the middle of the legs.
DC2F1464-4783-49C7-BFAF-12654FA3A8AA.jpeg

AF7A2B20-565F-4F36-9D01-98F5CCDDD9F6.jpeg

cables are massively long and will take some working out regards routing and actually working.

only other car I’ve seen using this cables is the YouTubers Geared. You can see they’re looped round in the engine bay to take up some slack but I’d rather not have this or at least not visible.

Ordered a sheet of carbon to start mocking up the ecu and fuse box.
F8CE5B5F-268B-441F-AD08-0252DD17D5B1.jpeg

Attachments

• A60C047E-24F3-463F-B541-0F085676EFE2.png
    A60C047E-24F3-463F-B541-0F085676EFE2.png
    10.8 MB · Views: 88
Have you seen racing circuits offer 100mm shorter than dc5 length cables.

I think I'm going to go down that route or get them shortened like my mate did by a company in the UK. Can find out who it was if you want?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Have you seen racing circuits offer 100mm shorter than dc5 length cables.

I think I'm going to go down that route or get them shortened like my mate did by a company in the UK. Can find out who it was if you want?

Are you going K20?

Yeah I’ve seen them. The hybrid cables I have are the similar length as the DC5 and don’t think 100mm shorter will cut it 😂. I really want to use these hybrid ones as they’re meant to be really good.

I nearly took them apart last night to see if I can shorten them. If you can let me know who did your mates it’ll be a appreciated 👍🏻

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
So we have working gears now, although 5th and reverse are difficult but I’ve read this is the case with the engine not running. Anyone confirm this?

Haven’t finished the cables yet but they work. I’d rather get these long cables working than pay another £250+ on another set. If these are a pain I’ll have to get more but not rightnow, racing Circuits can actually do custom length cables which would be the way I go.

3F728747-D3B4-4BEC-87FA-0F03F45F4A88.jpeg

I’m working on anything I’d need to fire the engine up before starting the looms. So throttle cable, IAT sensor, intake setup, fuel lines, clutch hydraulic line, ECU mounting etc

D1626FBC-CC50-446E-B3DC-CBD0E8198416.jpeg

need to find some motivation

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
What a build!

I can't get over that red gearstick housing tower though everytime I look at it it looks like a little chair for a toddler 😂😂😂😂

Thanks matey.

Do you recall putting yours in 5th with the engine off being/feeling different to the engine running?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Started work on the throttle cable. Needed a stop of some sort.
Ordered a rubber stop with an m8 stud coming off the back.

Throttle pedal travel is rather short so going to take some working out to get all the pedals level.
E0F1008E-E951-410D-98F0-6300A9C35090.jpeg

0FA2C21B-EF52-4C04-BC7B-4AAC3EC97825.jpeg

Started looking at refitting my bias valve in the the brake line. Looking at fitting on the shifter but will need to order new brake hoses.
15803B60-3E67-4F76-AA5F-9BDE80552A37.jpeg

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172