ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED lights for my Clio - legal?

1.2 Dynamique
Hi, I'm looking at buying some new headlights for my Clio Mk2 Dynamique and am wondering whether these lights will be suitable: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_196375_langId_-1_categoryId_165688

Several questions:

1. Are these the same used as in this thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=424833&highlight=LED This is the kind of effect I really want :D

2. Are they road legal, and if not will it be an actual problem? How easy is it to fit the headlights?

3. Which socket do the 501 Prisms fit into, sidelights or the actual headlights? (i.e. H1, H7 etc)?

Cheers, thanks, sorry for the newbiesh questions :) Thanks in advance for the help :)

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
1. Yes, I also have those bulbs

2. I'm not entirely sure. So long as they are white you shouldn't have a problem. They're not as bright as normal sidelight bulbs I'd say personally.

3. Your sidelight holder. 2 minute job. Pull of the rubber caps on each headlight, pull out the sidelight (closest to grille) and swap them over. Do this in the Halfords carpark like a true chav though, as these bulbs are of horrendously shitty quality and half the time one won't work (saves you a trip). If one doesn't work, take the bulb out, and turn it round as they are polarity specific.

1.2 Dynamique
Cheers, thanks for the response :)

Couple more final questions:

So how exactly do I replace/remove these bulbs? I take it I just do it from behind the headlamp/i.e. under the bonnet? Never done it before I'm afraid :eek:

And also what bulbs did you use for your normal headlamps? Did you only change the sidelights and keep the headlamps the same, or are there similar LED lights for the headlamps and full beams as well?

Cheers, thanks again :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Dont think you will pass your MOT with them in tbh, but all depends how anal your tester is. I just take mine out as I can never find a set to match the colour of the Xenons. I have an LED bulb for my number plate bulb which passed the MOT last year.

MG ZR 160 VVC
I have the blue led sidelights and I passed my MOT last week with no warning or anything about them but the police always give me a look with them on..

1.2 Dynamique
Cool, so what do all you guys use as your main lights alongside the blue LED sidelights? Just the stock bulbs or are there blue LEDs which fit into the main bulb-holders as well? :)

MG ZR 160 VVC
People use HID Kits or Xenon upgrades, I have the 4500k xenon H7 kit:
(only have fogs on to show diff. in colour!)

Xenon.gif

PH1 iceburg
Mine passed MOT with them in.

But IIRC you dont have to have any bulbs in for it to pass. Obviously if you have non working bulbs it will fail but if there are no bulbs where the sidelights are it will pass.

A blue one
thanks mate youv just put up exactly what i was looking for lol.. i think im gona get the blue ones tho like on the thread ;) cool...