ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LewisTaylor's BlackGold 182

Cup In bits
Re: Boosted BlackGold Project - F4rT content.

Your inlet needs to be powder coated. The VHT on there will not cure and go hard as it'll never get warm enough!

Heat gun and cardboard box, job done.

Or if the misses allows, In the oven!

Evo 5 RS

lol! Suppose if you don't have a 300c heat gun that's the next best thing! Block looks great

Megane r26

Looks great so far, can't wait for more pics. How much can you pics the stuff up to carry out the conversion roughly if you don't mind me asking?

Trafic 140dci

Looks great so far, can't wait for more pics. How much can you pics the stuff up to carry out the conversion roughly if you don't mind me asking?
The hard parts of the conversion have already been done I.e. adapting the block custom exhaust manifold, I'm just bolting it all together :p

Then it will be off to Matt at TDF for wiring :)

Will get as many pictures as possible :)

Megane r26

The hard parts of the conversion have already been done I.e. adapting the block custom exhaust manifold, I'm just bolting it all together :p

Then it will be off to Matt at TDF for wiring :)

Will get as many pictures as possible :)

Cool, do you know how much work is involved when it comes to altering the block (which I take it is so the gearbox mounts up)

Looking forward to the pics buddy :)

Trophy Turbo :)

I have made a jigg now so that this can be easly done, originally a mate of mine had a tool made, so i did one, then i had a laser cut template made for perfect fitment,

Megane r26

I have made a jigg now so that this can be easly done, originally a mate of mine had a tool made, so i did one, then i had a laser cut template made for perfect fitment,

Sweet, what sort of manifold adjustments need making or is it a case of fabricating a new one from scratch?

Trafic 140dci

Not much to report today I'm affraid... TNT ended up sending my ancillary parts to the wrong depo, then back to Andy :mad: So still waiting on them. My parts at the powdercoaters are still there and will be till early next week, so all i got done today was a stud and nut conversion, and started on tidying up my engine loom.

I decided to go with the fancy demon tweaks wheel studs, and 50mm blingy blue nuts, i thought the 50mm nuts would also be good as it offers alot more thread than the smaller ones i bought from Larkspeed for my last project, thus stronger.

studandnut.jpg

nuts.jpg

Fitted to my 25mm front spacers.

spacerstudnut.jpg

Fitted to my rear wheel.

wheelstudnut.jpg

Before in the thread i mentioned i wanted to redo the cable wrap on my engine loom, so bought some spiral stuff off Demon Tweaks, i though 10m would of been more than enough, well it's only done half lol so no pictures of the finished article as it all still looks a mess, but this is the difference to standard, much thinner and neater, sorry about photo being out of focus.

Left is what was round it, right is the finished item.

cabletidy.jpg

This is all the old excess wire trunking, which my 10m of spiral wrap has replaced.

excesswiretrunking.jpg

The engine loom will look alot neater when it's done, and hopefully give the illusion of there being less. I'm hoping tomorrow to get my hole saw out on my front beam and my sexy swager :) Then i should be able to mount my FMIC and that's about it untill i start getting some parts back :)

Megane r26

More pictures needed asap ha ;)

I hate couriers, always guranteed to balls something up (most the time in my case).

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

With those really weak ally nuts its worth having as much length as possible, although better still would just be a proper set of steels of course, but obviously thats not as "scene" etc

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5

Looks like it is coming along nicely, sorry to hear about your shoulder.

Looking at doing this conversion for mine, I want to just put a complete 225 lump in including turbo ect,will use a gen 90 to run it. I know the engine needs modifying to except the 182 gearbox and it needs the 182 sump, and I presume I will have to have a smaller intercooler and different pipe work and a different downpipe, but what about the manifold can the meg one be used or do you need to have one made.

If you could list what needs to be done the would be very helpful.

Told you you would want more power;)

Trafic 140dci

With those really weak ally nuts its worth having as much length as possible, although better still would just be a proper set of steels of course, but obviously thats not as "scene" etc

They are steel :) wouldn't use alloy, weren't cheap either.

bits and bobs wont be long mate back en route :) text when u get them :)

Thanks mate will do :)

Looks like it is coming along nicely, sorry to hear about your shoulder.

Looking at doing this conversion for mine, I want to just put a complete 225 lump in including turbo ect,will use a gen 90 to run it. I know the engine needs modifying to except the 182 gearbox and it needs the 182 sump, and I presume I will have to have a smaller intercooler and different pipe work and a different downpipe, but what about the manifold can the meg one be used or do you need to have one made.

If you could list what needs to be done the would be very helpful.

Told you you would want more power;)
Thanks mate,

It sounds a good plan. The reason i wanted this exhaust manifold was that it meant i wouldn't have to move brake lines/ brake fluid tank, being a track car, the last thing i want to fail is brakes. See Cupman29 project thread as he's running the megane exhaust manifold and had to do this. You can buy the universal intercooler kits off eBay with universal pipework, it's the same intercooler as what DannyR has on his car, the best bet is to measure the space you have and search eBay, mine was originally for a mk4 Astra GSI, come with loads of solid pipework too that i can probably cut and use. The downpipe would need to be custom made what ever way you do it i believe.

I was quite happy with 212.5bhp in a car that weighed 900kg ish, but i wanted more comfort, then i saw this engine for sale, and realised i could pay for everything under the bonnet for just a bit more than my ITB's were worth, so was a bit of a no brainer after that, then i got offered the BG 182 for £1600 and i couldn't buy it quick enough lol. My bank is looking alot more healthier than it was 3 months ago :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Got a link to where you got them from if they are steel then mate?

The mrs wants pretty wheel nuts but I have banned her from having Ally ones as she does so many trackdays in it!

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5

Ok mate thanks, will go for the custom manifold me thinks, moving brake lines sounds like a pita, what needs doing for the clutch/flywheel.

Trafic 140dci

Got a link to where you got them from if they are steel then mate?

The mrs wants pretty wheel nuts but I have banned her from having Ally ones as she does so many trackdays in it!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110899935510?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They say steel, although i haven't taken a magnet to them so can't back it up, seem good quality to me.

Ok mate thanks, will go for the custom manifold me thinks, moving brake lines sounds like a pita, what needs doing for the clutch/flywheel.
It needs adapting to take the 1*2 flywheel, no idea how this is done tbh, Andy is the man ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Should be pretty obvious just from the weight?

If they are twice as heavy as a normal wheelnut they are steel, if they arent they are ally, lol

Trafic 140dci

Should be pretty obvious just from the weight?

If they are twice as heavy as a normal wheelnut they are steel, if they arent they are ally, lol

True, but they are light to be fair. This answers any questions :)

wheelnut.jpg

Now you need to buy the Mrs some bling wheel nuts ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Cool, will have a look into that then, didnt realise coloured steel ones could be had now.

I'd want to use hockley studs though as Ive had issues with ones like you have just bought (not saying they are rubbish or anything just that personally I'll pay the extra)

Edit: my mistake you are on decent ones anyway not the 99p ones!

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1

Not sure what all the fuss is about moving the brake line. FAR easier than custom manifolds I think and a lot cheaper. Just get some good quality Nimbus heat shield around the master cylinder and lines.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Ive got nimbus shielding on my turbo and the lines dont overheat so far even on track.

I was thinking of getting the manifold face skimmed at a slight angle though just to give a few mm more clearance.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Why not just cut the flange off and reweld it at the angle you want?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Why not just cut the flange off and reweld it at the angle you want?

Take it you havent seen a megane manifold then, lol

You really couldnt easily do that with them being a big thick lump of cast, would be less effort to just make a custom one.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Got one mate. Thought you were talking about the down pipe not the manifold itself.

172 cup, Impreza P1

In my setup there is loads of room for the turbo but the down pipe sits very close to the master cylinder and lines. This should be the same with all F4rT conversions. Yours will be slightly different though with the 197 head.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

The 197 head doesnt alter the location of the turbo as far as I am aware as the exhaust studs are in exactly the same place to the best of my knowledge.

Mine has a different turbo though which effects things.

Trafic 140dci

Another update, haven't had alot of work this week, so been doing quite a few bits in the evenings :)

First of all, as you know i bought the spiral wrap for my engine loom, well completed that tedious job Thursday, not much to look at yet untill the engine is in when you will notice the difference, but so far it looks alot tidier, and looks like there is less, so i'm happy. I also repaired the ABS sensor wire that had melted on my exhaust manifold, as well as the earth that had melted on the exhaust manifold.

wiretidy.jpg

Sent a few PM's to Chip as i knew he was doing some research into driveshafts/hubs/wishbone combinations, as with the 182 cup the drivers side driveshaft also mounts to the back of the engine block, this won't work with a Megane block, so he has suggested using a 172 cup drive shaft and swapping the the cv joints as the 172 cup doesn't have ABS and i need the sending ring. So that's a job for this weekend.

driveshafts-1.jpg

Next job was hole sawing the front beam, i didn't particularly want to do it, as it will weaken it, but i was swagering as well which adds some strength, and it will make my life 10x easier mounting the IC. Here are all the disks i have cut out.

cutoutdisks.jpg

The end product. I will be threading the light wire through the front beam once it's all been cleaned.

frontbeamholesawedandswagered.jpg

holesawandswageredfrontbeam.jpg

I then mounted my FMIC.

intercooler.jpg

Then a trial fit of my bumper, the holes behind the number plate line up with the holes in the front beam very well, hopefully will aid cooling of the rad slightly.

bumperon.jpg

intercoolerbehindgrill.jpg

bumperholes.jpg

I also relocated my battery to the back of the car, although when ratchet strapping the battery box down i managed to crack it, opps :eek: so need a new, better one of them.

batteryrelocated.jpg

The bad news is, the powdercoaters compressor broke this week so no subframe etc, and my parts from Andy seem to have got lost in the post, so going to be a slow weekend, might give the engine bay a spray to make it look better.

Cup In bits

Getting there mate, spiral cover for wiring loom looks good, might get some if I don't use techflex, quite pricey.

So you are using the megane block, I cant remember your spec (whats the benefits using the block and not just the head) . Thats a bit of a shame as the 2 piece shaft aids torque steer especially when you will have 230 plus ponys. If you can find a 172 cup shaft with abs ring fitted, that would save a job, both mine had rings so they must be shared with another variant, genuine renault items aswell. I might even swap drives shafts with you as I was going to fit 2 piece shaft for spoken reason. Cupman has tried and tested the idea.

Trafic 140dci

Getting there mate, spiral cover for wiring loom looks good, might get some if I don't use techflex, quite pricey.

So you are using the megane block, I cant remember your spec (whats the benefits using the block and not just the head) . Thats a bit of a shame as the 2 piece shaft aids torque steer especially when you will have 230 plus ponys. If you can find a 172 cup shaft with abs ring fitted, that would save a job, both mine had rings so they must be shared with another variant, genuine renault items aswell. I might even swap drives shafts with you as I was going to fit 2 piece shaft for spoken reason. Cupman has tried and tested the idea.
The thinner spiral wrap on the smaller wires looks very good, the bigger stuff for the thicker wires isn't to good tbh, but far better than standard.

It's completely a megane engine :) I don't know if there is any benifits of using the Megane block, but the whole bottom end is brand new :)

If you look at my photo of the 2 drive shafts, the top one is a 172 cup drive shaft, it looks as if it has abs rings, but i don't think they are, the driveshaft below is a 182 cup driveshaft with the wider abs rings. That's why i need to swap the CV joints over.

My old 182 cup driveshaft now belongs to Chip as i swapped it for a 172 Cup driveshaft :)

How much did that spiral wrap cost Lewis?

I've got 50m on my van!

It works out about £1.50 per meter roughly. What size wire is yours for? As i could do with some more to do my headlight wires.

SQ5
Go to cpc.co.uk loads of options! Cheaper than that I believe by a lot!

You can buy the standard looking stuff too.

Trafic 140dci

Looking good!

You not bored of drilling holes through front beams yet? ;)

To be honest, i got that bored i dragged it out over 3 nights :eek: plus i was worried it would f*ck my drill batteries as it's pretty hard going!

To be honest, i got that bored i dragged it out over 3 nights :eek: plus i was worried it would f*ck my drill batteries as it's pretty hard going!

Electric drill ftw! I did mine with the rad in place and just went through the first hole to do the second. Leaving the rad in made it more exciting due to the risk :p

It is a boring task though! Ill get the special package posted to you soon, just waiting for parts to sell for a post office trip :)