ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Manifold to downpipe gasket at fault for knocks?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'm still getting the knocking under really hard acceleration from a standstill. I've fitted powerflex dogbone, new upper g/box mount OEM and adjusted the main engine mount to pull it forward.

I also noticed a sort of heatshield style rattle today from around that area too. Could it be this causing both these issues?

It's the gasket with the two bolts and springs right?

Want to order one tomorrow ideally. Are they about a tenner?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ah bum. Was looking at a sticky thread foxy had put up but guess it's a bit out of date. That being loose could cause the knocking I'm getting (like i was getting before the dogbone but not as frequent).

BUT my exhaust isn't blowing at all.

53 Clio's & counting
have you pulled the o/s mount forward enough? I remember the first time I did it I moved it 5 or 6mm, but when I have it a (BIG) tug it moved about an inch and stopped mine knocking

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I think so. although reading on here the pull forward should require a bit of force. All i did was slacken the bolts (4), then get a tyre fitting 'spoon' crowbar type thing and pulled the engine away from the bulkhead. It didn't take huge force and I'm no Mariusz Pudianowski (or however you spell it).
Would a pic help?
I noticed there are some weird little marker type holes on the plate of the mount, where a little sort of barbed piece comes up to maybe lock it into positio. No idea where they're supposed to be sat, as you look at it.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Here's a pic of mine. You reckon it has further back to go then? (Right hand side is bulkhead side and left is headlight side).

What are those little barb thingies between the two bolts on each side?

7409828810_205da5ae1a.png

IMAG0261 by foodbeast04, on Flickr

53 Clio's & counting
Thats the mistake I made at first, its the WHOLE mount that needs to be moved mate, which includes those little barbed pieces - stick a bar bwtween the bulkhead and the mount (By the pipe on the right of the picture) and move the whole thing

ps, your mount looks a little worn in that picture

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Cheers dude, yeah that's what I did. Got the bar behind the strut turret and the black plate of the mount and shifted it back. I wouldn't be surprised if the mount was knackered though, the dogbone and upper g/box one's were dead when I got the car. They've been replaced now.

Just out of interest, how can you tell it's worn? How much are they mate?

cheers.

53 Clio's & counting
its been a while since i bought one mate i think around £50?

The 2 inner rubber pieces get worn down/squashed in and casuse movement

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ah right. Thought they were just bump stops type things. Well just bought replacement shocks with top mounts and got my rear springs lowered this week. Engine mount next on the list then! Someone doesn't want me to buy a whiteline!