ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Martin_172's Ultra Red 197 R27

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
chief engineer gave it the green light too after she gave it a thorough inspection!
12466171_10204119807955872_6010565480638525915_o.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
on the motorway its just as quiet as standard, pulling to the redline it's just marginally louder than standard, half throttle around town it's marginally louder, but low down and mid range on full throttle it sounds like thunder it's a perfect sound!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Paul was saying they're the only exhaust he has seen make gains on the mk3. Get some catcams and a map and it'll be over 200bhp

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
have to agree with knuckles in videos they dont sound all that but in real life they are just perfect, especially once you "learn" it and know where the points in the rev range for bangs are!

not much changed with the car been working 7 days a week with a 50 mile round trip so its just been pottering to work and back hardly had time to clean it, gave it a quick scrub today and went to progrip to book it in for its 72k mile service consisting of oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter, plugs, brake fluid and probably a few other bits and bobs! also getting the alignment checked while its in.

also booked up for the nurburgring in May!

12669428_10204213267252296_1865294704856714364_n.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Car had its 72k Service a few weeks ago, they couldn't do the alignment on it as it has play in one track rod end and the other side track rod, was going to get them to just order up both rods and both rod ends and get it back in but decided to hold off for a month or 2 and just go for a 200 Cup rack, straight swap and I believe its 8% shorter or something minor, but it comes with fresh inner rods for not a lot more than the inner rods on their own, not a bad route to go given ive read a few reports of people having racks fail anyway.

I noticed recently the car was getting a bit bouncy over small bumps and crests, pointing towards the front dampers getting past their best then the last couple of weeks its got much worse and a knock from the drivers side started, got it jacked up and the drivers side dust cover/bump stop had split and the damper shaft was scored.

I knew I loved the way they handled from the factory so didn't want to go aftermarket so started looking at my options, clio 200 Cup dampers are a straight swap and I believe around 15% stiffer - the springs are the same between 197 cup and 200 cup (BONUS!!) ordered a new dust cover and both front dampers from Renault parts direct, speedy service as always!

got the car all stripped today and swaped them over, not quite as easy as it is to do on a mk2 but there are horror stories of them being a pain in the ass to do, I found it pretty straight forward after having a glance over a couple of guides to get a few tips (spring compressors to compress the damper down to remove it without having to lower subframe or remove hub etc)

confirmed that both front springs were in good condition and the correct cup items (orange and blue dots) and confirmed both top mount bearings were in good condition (again bonus!)

Car now handles superb, infact they must have been on their way out when I got the car as it feels super sharp now!

rear 200 cup dampers now ordered for a job for next weekend!

WP_20160403_16_26_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20160401_18_46_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20160314_16_53_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20160314_16_57_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20160314_16_56_47_Pro.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lovely

I had a akrapovic on my 197 cup

I wanted to mod the tailpipe as I had a 200 diffuser but was never a fan of the looks of it

Also I'm gay and thought it was a little bit too loud for me. Does sound well though and when I swapped it back the car felt flat as fook!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
gearbox has developed a 4th gear syncro issue, I noticed it from very early on but thought it may just be the linkage being a bit sticky, but now its crunching. not sure what option to do...

1. exhaust off and trade in
2. brand new box and keep
3. brand new box and sell for good cash
4. set on fire.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Oh dear, the boxes on these really are chocolate. How much is a rebuild? Suppose it depends on how much you like the car and are prepared to spend on fixing it

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear, the boxes on these really are chocolate. How much is a rebuild? Suppose it depends on how much you like the car and are prepared to spend on fixing it
not looked into a rebuild tbh, if im going to the expense of changing the box id like the shorter 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears from the 200 and It doesn't tear through the first couple of gears quite as quick as my 200 did, you can feel the weight!