ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mig welders

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I had a hand me down mig, which either overheated after 60 seconds or refused to spool. Not ideal for a beginner as it was just stop/start with problem after problem.

Looking for a replacement. Uses are the odd bit of car body work 2mm stuff, making brackets and various small household projects. Amateur/beginner grade. Already have a decent mask and gloves.

What are you using? Post any links.
£200 budget or so. Don't have any wire either, albeit I have a can of CO2 unused.

Seen this, as an option....it's £200 with some wire on amazon.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
I've been using an R-Tech MIG 180, with good results. Be out your budget unfortunately. Maybe pick up a clark or sealey for around 200? Dunno how good they'd be though.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Clarke 151TE is a solid unit, been highly recommended for ages so you should be able to pick one up used for cheap.

Even new they weren't mega money.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm using an r tech mig 180 too and it's epic. Really capable machine.

I started on a Clarke mig 130EN Turrrrrrbbbbooooooo and after I replaced some of the consumables it was also very capable. Great to get going on and fairly robust. The downside to it was the lack of a variable speed adjuster (not main speed control of wire feed) whilst welding which was reflected in the end result. More expensive machines control the speed indefinitely to a set flow and account for any snags during welding. The Clarkes can be quite jerky as a result of this.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'm using an r tech mig 180 too and it's epic. Really capable machine.

I started on a Clarke mig 130EN Turrrrrrbbbbooooooo and after I replaced some of the consumables it was also very capable. Great to get going on and fairly robust. The downside to it was the lack of a variable speed adjuster (not main speed control of wire feed) whilst welding which was reflected in the end result. More expensive machines control the speed indefinitely to a set flow and account for any snags during welding. The Clarkes can be quite jerky as a result of this.

What tig you running btw?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Does it cost much money in gas to run a mig or tig?
It's one of those questions with an annoying answer really as it really does depend on how much you use it mate.
The guy I use who is incredibly cheap, charges £45 for a deposit on a small bottle(10 litre) and then that's £27 for a refill each time.
Or £95 for a deposit on the largest bottle (50litre) and then £80 for a refill. He can collect and exchange them then and there which is incredibly handy as the 50Litre bottles weigh 85Kg when full.

The best thing is you don't have to rent with him whereas most places there is an annual subscription fee.
But if its expensive or not depends on how much you use it. The small bottle used to last me a year of occasional use but the better I got, the more I used it so its looking like the 50l will last me a year instead now.

The other thing to take into account is that you can't use tig gas on mig either and vice versa so you have to have two gas bottles for each. I've been there and tried tig gas on mig welding when I ran out half way through a project and it gives absolutely horrendous undercut and you just can't get deep into the metal, it basically sits on top like a worm.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
That's my tig on the left and the mig on the right. It absolutely dwarfs it 😂

Fun fact, I picked the 50L up in my Lupo haha

IMG_20191126_202425.jpg

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
It's one of those questions with an annoying answer really as it really does depend on how much you use it mate.
The guy I use who is incredibly cheap, charges £45 for a deposit on a small bottle(10 litre) and then that's £27 for a refill each time.
Or £95 for a deposit on the largest bottle (50litre) and then £80 for a refill. He can collect and exchange them then and there which is incredibly handy as the 50Litre bottles weigh 85Kg when full.

The best thing is you don't have to rent with him whereas most places there is an annual subscription fee.
But if its expensive or not depends on how much you use it. The small bottle used to last me a year of occasional use but the better I got, the more I used it so its looking like the 50l will last me a year instead now.

The other thing to take into account is that you can't use tig gas on mig either and vice versa so you have to have two gas bottles for each. I've been there and tried tig gas on mig welding when I ran out half way through a project and it gives absolutely horrendous undercut and you just can't get deep into the metal, it basically sits on top like a worm.

The gas thing is because they are for different things. You’re actually doing MAG welding, MIG is for ali.

TIG - tungsten inert gas, I1pure argon
MIG - metal inert gas, I1 pure argon
MAG - metal active gas M12 for stainless, M14 for carbon typically. The ‘active’ is because it helps the weld

Undercut would typically be caused by too many amps.

I’m starting a CSWIP 3.1 course so I’m full of weld p**n

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The gas thing is because they are for different things. You’re actually doing MAG welding, MIG is for ali.

TIG - tungsten inert gas, I1pure argon
MIG - metal inert gas, I1 pure argon
MAG - metal active gas M12 for stainless, M14 for carbon typically. The ‘active’ is because it helps the weld

Undercut would typically be caused by too many amps.

I’m starting a CSWIP 3.1 course so I’m full of weld p**n
Tried with allllll the settings changed using pure argon and it would simply sit on top of the metal. Everything I read online too suggested that pure argon with a mig welder would do exactly that.

Pretty much exactly what's described here
Screenshot_20200429-223342_Chrome.jpg

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Tried with allllll the settings changed using pure argon and it would simply sit on top of the metal. Everything I read online too suggested that pure argon with a mig welder would do exactly that.

Pretty much exactly what's described here
View attachment 1470200

I’m agreeing with you mate! Argon is an inert gas, and for the MAG process you need an active gas which is a mix of mainly argon and CO2. There’s a load of different compositions for a million applications but we use M12 & M14 for MAG, table in this link shows all of them and what’s in each one:

https://www.svets.se/download/18.27...4171296/Classification+of+Shielding+Gases.pdf

MIG is the process used for welding aluminium, it was specifically invented for that. When it was a success and then adapted for carbon and stainless steels it is actually a MAG process, but MIG stuck as the description for welding any material with the specific process of the filler rod as the electrode being delivered from a reel (ie different to MMA, stick welding, as this doesn’t use a shielding gas).

That’s why the weld sits on top of you use argon, you need an argon/CO2/ a little bit of oxygen possibly mix for carbon/stainless which effectively generates more power and enables a weld to penetrate into the parent material, hence active.

Of course I’m assuming that you are welding carbon or stainless and not ali?! Ali MIG is not really used as a hobby process as it’s very difficult to master!