ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk.I 1.4 RT brakes (if u can call them that...)

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
Ok, I've been reading these forums for quite a while, and think its great how ya'll help each other out.

Anyway, the brakes on my 1.4 RT are absaloutely abismal. I have to heel-and-toe EVERY time I wanna slow down, just to get some extra engine-braking, the engine braking is making up like... 30% of my stopping power, its simply ridiculous!

Anyway, I've read a few threads on converting them to bigger brakes, buuut... taht sounds like hard work...and expensive :p ... I was jsut wondering, what kind of benifit would I see out of changing the pads / discs? Fast road pads over my current (****e) pads... what kind of difference are we talking?

Also, the discs appear fine, so I dont see any benifit for changing those for identical ones...

Any 1.4 RT'ers got any preffered pads?

Thanks guys :]

-Akira
^Clueless

1.6 16v clio priv
I have a 1.4 RT 1992. Had standard brakes (I think) and stopped on its nose. Maybe you have a problem. Have the brakes checked. I did notice that after some stick I lost most braking power. Have you been giving them a hard time. If thats the case then some performance discs and pads will definately help reduce brake fade

Get some 16v/Williams brakes fitted.

£40 for calipers from a breakers (MatBrown probably has some) and then about £70 for new discs/pads.

BIG improvement!

I have just bought some williams calipers, Discs & pads for my RT off of ebay for £16, They shoul dbe here tomorrow so I will let you know mate.

Mine are ****e at the moment, I almost had brown pants 2 days ago, a dosy old woman pulled out in front of me when I was doing 85-90ish, I stamped on the brakes and they worked fine for 3 seconds then just vibrated like mad and had major brake fade which resulted in me having to go up the hard shoulder and pass her on the inside.

I have been told that i will also need the carriers which I dont think I got so I will have to source some of those before I fit them.

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
I'm no mechanic but yea, I think u need callipers, carriers, bolts and then increased discs & pads.

You got the caipers, discs & pads for £16? Rock on man! :D I think the weight of the Mk.I. clio is like...750kg so the current stopping distance is laughable. My mate had a go and thought he was stepping on the clutch :p (also heavy as fook :p ) Need to drop it 40mm as well, that should slow her down a lil' quicker (as well as other obvious advantages...)

-Akira

Weight of mk1 clios with full interior is about 1 tonne 980kgs iirc, stripped can get it down to about 900kgs.

Before upgrading the brakes make sure you have a decent amount of fuild in therem, and that its fully bled, also chekc the pads and discs, if necessary change them, discs are about £15 each for rt ones iirc, and pads are £30 for a set of pagids.

Not sure if those were 2nd hand, but i woudl NEVER buy 2nd hand discs or pads, ot worth it.

As stated above, 16v calipers will stop you better, as its the rt calipers that are **** rather then the size of the discs.

When you brake to assist braking you shoudl change down through the gears, but unless you are really thraping it there really is no need to heel-and-toe.

Dropping iot 40mm, will make NO differnce to the braking.

If the pedal is that hard i woudl suggest flushing the brake fluid,and sticking fresh stuff in, and also check for sticking calipers, and dodgy hoses

Mk1 Clio 1.4 RT
The brakes on my 1.4 RT were bad. I replaced the disks and pads with high quality ones. Big improvement. Was surprised.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
to be fair, i dont think you need the 16v upgrade...no doub it is better but, replacing standard pads/discs and most importantly getting the brakes bled should sort the problem. i am getting mine bled on my 94 rt, allready changed discs/pads and i think my s**t brakes is all down to having no pressure there, they are very spongy!

when i have had them bled today, i will let you all know :)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
just had mine bled, and they are much better! ... if youres feel soft and spongy, get a new set of pads, dics and get them bled with new fluid!

worked wonders.

Renault Clio Mk1 1.4 RT
Is it possible to therfore but the Valver/Williams after market disks on as long as you have the callipers off a williams??

The reason i say this is because surely the disks from valvers/williams fitted onto a RT (standard valver/williams stuff) would fit no trouble, so surely after market ones would!!

Surely then it would make sense to buy valver/Williams callipers, and then put after market disks and pads on upgrading braking even further!!

Cheers,

Dumpy

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
i did this to my old RT, i needed the williams/valver calipers, carriers and bolts...

also got some tarox discs and pads to go with it and it made sooo much of a difference! just make sure you bleed the brakes!