ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 172 or 172cup

Ad

MK2 FRS

After some month of saving I am gonna be ready get my 172. I have to part ex my existing clio. The the options I have got are:

52 reg Cup £11600 (2.5k)

Mk1 172 Yellow Xreg £9995 (16k).

Mk1 172 Flame red 10495 (20k) (£500 more px)

All from renault dealers. Cheapest Mk2 172 I could find was £12495!!!! and this is streching the budget a bit too far.

Any one had both???

Cheers

Adam

Ad

MK2 FRS

Px really bad, went to motorpoint, fella said he no point in valuing the car as he wouldnt be close to what I wanted!!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Get a brand new Cup, you can get one for £11495, somewhere online was doing them for that, UK model but cant remeber where!!!!!!!! Im sure Renault will match that price

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

If you get the mk1 youll be lucky to find one that hasnt had the knackers thrased off it and you aint gonna get a 3 year warrenty as well, bit extra for a Cup gets you a brand new car with 3 year warrenty, but as mentioned, no a/c, leather seats or owt!

Ad

MK2 FRS

Thats the problem. Love the look of the cup but no toys! The yellow MK1 is mint with just over 16k on the clock its been nowhere. decisions!!!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I wouldnt say it had no toys, its got leccy windows/mirrors, rain sens wipers and auto lights I think, trip computer, power steering plus itll rocket to 60 and handles better then the mk1 according to reviews.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I got my mk2 2002 172 with 5600 miles on the clock for £9000, keep looking mate and you will find the one eventually, I was looking for mine for about 5 months..

Very happy with my purchase..

Get the cup i wanted to get the wife a 172 sport in silver but she wanted the cup because of the colour and wheels. Must say that when we got it home she had made the right choice, forget the extras how often do you use them anyway.

Ok rob i probably would too if they were there but i havnt missed anything that you would have in a 172 sport.

I only realised list was 12995 the other day, i thought it was 11995. Wishful thinking!

Is this ukcarbroker the 3 year warranty or 1 year where you have to apply for the next 2?

Ad

MK2 FRS

The yellow mk1 is my first choice, ive always wanted a yellow Mk1, remember seeing one when they out and they still look good. Im gonna test drive it tomoz. Theyre so rare, anyone know how many were made??? With 16k and one women owner it been no were and probably not thrashed.

Quote: Originally posted by adtmits on 03 March 2003

Thats the problem. Love the look of the cup but no toys! The yellow MK1 is mint with just over 16k on the clock its been nowhere. decisions!!!
as I own a yellow Mk1 and I also drive a Cup on a regular basis (like it shares the garage with the yellow baby!) I am torn to give you an answer - everybody loves the Mk1 in yellow when they see it, but the Cup is lovely too!!! personal preference again!!!

I am also a "lady" owner - ask around and see whether mine has been thrashed?!?!?!

and yes, they are very rare - probably rarer than the Exclusive - did ask Renault how many were made for the UK market, but they cannot give a complete answer because of imports.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Well, went to renault (PGC) rochdale(35miles away) to look at the Mk1 yellow 172 and their attitude was awful. Think they thought i was taking the p**s as they didnt want to sell my the car!!!! He asked with my refference to my px "Do you know anyone who wants a cheap renaut?!!!" (52reg extreme!) "Do realise this car is a Grp 16!" I really wouldnt mind if it had been out of concern but it wasnt, he was rude and abrupt and this was the sales manager. Was that annoyed i rang renault customer services and the dealer principle is ringing me tomorrow. I am definitley not buying a car of them. Gutted as i really wanted the yellow Mk1. All the local dealers are generally superb, they just dont have any 172s in stock!!

Whinge over!!!

Ad

MK2 FRS

Drove a MK1 at altrincham renault last week. It will be worth waiting for the right car.

Problem is in getting rid of my px. I thought it would be easier and quicker px.

I am selling mine if you are interested. Its titanium silver, 23k miles and loved to bits. Drop me an email if you are interested.

Work for Lex Vehicle Leasing like i do & you can have a new Cup for £10.5K brand spanker! Got it yesterday.

You get the full 3 year warranty. The broker only "introduces" you to your local Renault dealer who then deal with you directly. You only pay for the car when you collect it.Honestly the whole process was hassle free..I dont know why everybody doesnt buy a new car this way (unless you want a part/ex)

Give UK car broker a ring , Theyre very helpful!

Steve S.