ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

nah its in bits, no chance of that going back on now.....il hopefully get it sorted for friday fingers crossed!

ValverInBits

which dizzy cap and rotor are you using, do you know if they are any good?

Also did you use the haynes manual method of filling the tappets with oil before fitting the head? Although that causes noisy valve train and poor valve lift it won't cause it not to fire.

Compression test would be my next step.

dizzy cap and rotor are off the valver engine, were all good. Ive got a new dizzy cap and rotor too, made no difference.

no I didnt use the haynes manual of filling the tappets, was told it would be ok once fitted and turned over a few times/ran for a few minutes.....

aye Im going to compression test it in the morning, and go from there.

Ive used valver pullies on the cams, I was told they are the same as williams pullies, but im starting to think this could not be the case.....not heard any nocking or anything, so the timing cant be out, well it could be, just 180 degrees, which could mean a williams pulley is 180 degrees different to a valver one?

ValverInBits

tappets won't cause you any many problems, but it needs a good hour before they fill properly. I fitted a valver engine that had been standing for quite a while and it took about 1 hours running before the tappets filled.

Just looked through my part numbers PDF, F7P and F7R both use the same pulleys. AND the pulleys are identical for inlet and exhaust. Part number 77 00 743 967.
As expected, both inlet and exhaust Cams are different part numbers, so it could be a difference between the cams but tbh I doubt it.

So the injectors have been carried over yeah? did you plug in the little cold start injector under the manifold?
There must be something else, Unless your not getting any compression out of the new head?

TVR Cerbera

Sounds to me like your timing is out. Double check that the rotor arm is pointing at no1 spark lead and no1 cylinder is near tdc. I know you said you checked the timing and leads, but may have something to do with willy cams and valver pulleys / dizzy. IIRC my old valver did a similar thing with the leads round the wrong way. I'd check the dizzy to start with and go from there

TVR Cerbera

tappets won't cause you any many problems, but it needs a good hour before they fill properly. I fitted a valver engine that had been standing for quite a while and it took about 1 hours running before the tappets filled.

Just looked through my part numbers PDF, F7P and F7R both use the same pulleys. AND the pulleys are identical for inlet and exhaust. Part number 77 00 743 967.
As expected, both inlet and exhaust Cams are different part numbers, so it could be a difference between the cams but tbh I doubt it.

So the injectors have been carried over yeah? did you plug in the little cold start injector under the manifold?
There must be something else, Unless your not getting any compression out of the new head?

Are the dizzy's the same too? could the keyways of the cams be different? It would fire, but run crap if there was a compression problem, unless it was zero compression!

will check compression first thing tommorow

got a new dizzy cap to try, and a couple of sets of leads...

will double check the cold start injector is connected

the rotor is pointed at cylinder one when TDC, checked that before :(

if the pulleys are the same throughout, it cant be the timing, williams head with williams cams and valves, it cant be possible to fit them wrong if the marks line up surely

TVR Cerbera

will check compression first thing tommorow

got a new dizzy cap to try, and a couple of sets of leads...

will double check the cold start injector is connected

the rotor is pointed at cylinder one when TDC, checked that before :(

if the pulleys are the same throughout, it cant be the timing, williams head with williams cams and valves, it cant be possible to fit them wrong if the marks line up surely
are the keyways the same in relation to the lobes on both willy and valver cams?

yeah mate, i was just trying to find a pic that i took, but they will only go on one way in one position, and if they are all the same pulleys they have to be on right...?

TVR Cerbera

yeah mate, i was just trying to find a pic that i took, but they will only go on one way in one position, and if they are all the same pulleys they have to be on right...?

yeah spose so, just so sounds timing to me..............bit puzzled if it's not

ValverInBits

think about it mate. The cams could be 180 deg different. It's the keyways on the cams that locates the dizzy. If the either of the keyways were moved 180 dgrees in relation to the cam lobes then the ignition timing would be 180degrees out.
I find it unlikely but it's a possibility

Last edited:

the cams will only go in one way though due to the pulley end having the two metal rings that are part of the cam that sit into the head?

the keyways on the cams are a single notch on the pulley end, so the pulleys can only go on one way?

edit: i ideally need to find a picture of a williams head in time so i can see the cams and see if mine are the same

Last edited:
  ValverInBits

Just thought about it, and decided your right and I'm wrong! If the dizzys are the same part number then the keyways on willy and valver cams must be in the same place.

Good luck with it mate, let us know what you find :)

TVR Cerbera

the cams will only go in one way though due to the pulley end having the two metal rings that are part of the cam that sit into the head?

the keyways on the cams are a single notch on the pulley end, so the pulleys can only go on one way?

edit: i ideally need to find a picture of a williams head in time so i can see the cams and see if mine are the same
I've just looked at your photos on the previous page, and compared your valver head photo with your "timed" willy head. may be nothing but the lobe relationship between inlet and exhaust will be similar "by eye" on each cylinder and your's aren't.......
willy head, look at first cylinder, lobes are pointing away from each other
DSC_0314.jpg

and valver head, lobes on second cylinder are much closer together

DSC_0292.jpg

just another idea.................

(it's not possible to get inlet and exhaust cams mixed up is it?)

the timing must be perfect if the cams will only go on one way, and the pullies will only go on one way also......also if it all lines up at TDC... the williams and valver cams are different, but if the pullies are the same they cant go on wrong i dont think?

its got to be an ignition issue i guess, will triple check all the connections tommorow, going to try the other fuel rail + injectors that i have, along with new dizzy cap + rotor......we shall see :)

better pic of williams:

DSC_0313.jpg

ValverInBits

just another idea.................

(it's not possible to get inlet and exhaust cams mixed up is it?)
No because the inlet cam doesent have the keyway for the dizzy.

Stumped. My best suggestion atm is the cold start injector or a dodgy connection somewhere.

will have to see what happens with a brand new dizzy and rotor, another set of leads and checking all the connections......if that dosent fire it up ive no idea what it could be really!

will try and find a picture of a williams head in time in the meantime, so i can see if mines the same

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

Just a thought when you put the cam pullys on the cams did you put them on the right cam or are they both the same?? There is to much fuel coming out of body for the right timing i recon but it dont seem as if it can be wrong. Seems as if the inlet valves are shut when it sprays the fuel as if its on the wrong stroke.

cams will only go in one way due to one having a slot on the end for the rotor arm/dizzy cap

M

mini-valver

You CAN have the cams mixed up dude, exhaust on inlet side and vice versa. Although, fuel in the inlet manifold could be because you've been turning it over and over and over. It'll just bore wash and chuck fuel everywhere.

You've got a strong, blue spark? Obviously has fuel so I'd be looking at either a timing issue or checking that you have the TDC sensor plugged in.

You CAN have the cams mixed up dude, exhaust on inlet side and vice versa. Although, fuel in the inlet manifold could be because you've been turning it over and over and over. It'll just bore wash and chuck fuel everywhere.

You've got a strong, blue spark? Obviously has fuel so I'd be looking at either a timing issue or checking that you have the TDC sensor plugged in.

found out it would not fuel without TDC sensor plugged in, so that must be working....

cams cant possibly mixed up as only one of them has the slot on the end for the dizzy cap? the other is just a blank end and slightly shorter...?

M

mini-valver

Fail, lol. You can on my engine :eek:

f**k knows then lad, Double check the timing, take it all off, rotate the BE a few times, then re-do TDC.

about to nip out to pick up a compression tester, which would tell me if the timing is out correct?

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

Try what we said on the phone an i will look at other pullys. I think there on the wrong way round.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

found out it would not fuel without TDC sensor plugged in, so that must be working....

cams cant possibly mixed up as only one of them has the slot on the end for the dizzy cap? the other is just a blank end and slightly shorter...?

Yep, that's right. Dave's K4M won't be there same since there's no groove on the cam

It sounds proper weird, that... you've checked all the things i would've thought of! :S

No luck lad! :dapprove:

340i

BUMMER..

Is the engine getting fuel, you not mixed up any of the fuel lines?

All sensors plugged in, for the sake of 20mins check them all again... no loose connections/ split wires earthing?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I've hardly been on here today! lol

But yeah, quite quiet at work now, Christmas wind-down + financial times. :(

yoiur speaking to an unemployed boy as a result of the economy mate so i know how you feel lol

when is the next meet for us all?

BUMMER..

Is the engine getting fuel, you not mixed up any of the fuel lines?

All sensors plugged in, for the sake of 20mins check them all again... no loose connections/ split wires earthing?

yeah defo getting fuel, i just tried new dizzy cap/rotor, fresh genuine renault spark plugs and different set of leads......nothing, it popped out of the inlet manifold.....f**k knows

just got a compression tester, cylinder one registered 150PSI, when i got to cylinder two the battery had gone flat so just waiting for someone to come with their car now

where you taking it on the trailer? or is that an old pic?

was bringing it home last night, lol