ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

ok, it started first time :)

very very chuggy....sounds like its misfiring....but just gonna investigate now

ValverInBits

there will be lots of valve train noise till those tappets have filled
congrats mate :)

f**ked ph1 172

sounds like the timing is out.still. do a comp test now you've got it timed up.

edit, thinking about it, when my mate put his pipers in on standard timing its was slower than standard. took a while to get the timing right, he advanced both cams and got loads from it then.

320d

Hmm it doesn't sound healthy jord. I'm sure you'll sort it out mate. Big rush before Friday though.

f**ked ph1 172

sounds very cam'd lol.

get your standard cams and put the pullies on them so you'll have a half decent idea if the lobes are in the right places.

ValverInBits

doesent quite sound like it's running on all cylinders there. ditto what dunlop said, do another compression test maybe.

yeah mate, just about to put some pics up of compression test and spark plugs....some odd stuff going on

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

Jord... I know whats up with it..

AIDS.
Cant believe how much agro its giving you. should have left it alone and bought a 182 ;) hehe.
Hope you get it sorted though!

ok.....spark plugs are in order, left: cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

Compression Cylinder 1

DSC_0319.jpg

Compression Cylinder 2

DSC_0321.jpg

Compression Cylinder 3

DSC_0322.jpg

Then the starter motor started playing up when I got to cylinder 4, will have to try that in the morning....god knows about the spark plugs

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Something's not right there :(

Still sounds out, even though you've got compression :S

Idle sounds mint though! lol

cylinder four is down also, been suggested by a few people the valves are bent.....f***s sake!

im going to have to rip the head off tommorow i guess, luckily i have 'spare' valves that are usable if need be, i wont be making the mistake with the f**king timing again, whatever idiot did those white marks can die! nearly a tenner per damaged valve down the pan.....

technically it wont take long to rectify if the guides are not damaged, i guess tommorow will reveal more.......:( will be f**king 120 quid down the pan if it aint running for friday, i wont have a car for oulton meh

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

you going oulton park on friday 19th?
hope you get it all sorted as i think this is one of the best clio's ever!

f**ked ph1 172

yeah bent valves on cyl 2 and 4.

take the cams out, and then do a test. this will determin a better test to see which valves are gone.

ValverInBits

I think your just going to want to whip the head off and check all the valves if you've got time.
such a farkin shame.
Anyways, don't worry about the cash.....can't take it with you an that ;)

And don't listen to people saying you shoulda got a 1*2, the Mk1 is so much more fun!

mk2s are w**k and boring....thats why i got a mk1 ;)

cylinder four is 0, yes, zero compression, lol....f***s sake, just about to take the head off now

M

mini-valver

Oh noes.....

Re-lap your old vavles on cylinder 4, and check the others. Mine were noticeable bent, you might not be so lucky.....

it seems cylinder 2 is a bit down on compression, and 4 is dead, so it must be the valves in those two. luckily i have spare valves lol, just about to lift the head off now to see

M

mini-valver

Some will be, some can be fractional and you'll only tell by leak testing them.

Turn the head upside down and fill each bowl with petrol, see which ones seep petrol through the valves.