ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

just stripped the head down, cams and tappets out.....all the valves look the same height, none lower than others, dont know if i would notice that like.....anyway....

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

i need to do a compression test again i guess, is it ok to turn over on the key? or not... i tried turning over by hand with the gauge on and all the cylinders showed zero?

ValverInBits

iirc you are supposed to turn by hand when compression testing? Never had to do it myself
I think you should do a leak-down (if you can bring yourself to pull the head off ;)) like mini-valver said.

yeah i have decided to, just to be safe loll.....head bolts are out, just waiting for someone to come down to lift it off with me....head and both manifolds still attached, f**k dropping it after coming this far!

its alright lol, will get it off and give it a test, replace what needs to be, then i definately know all the valves are good, then drop it back in, shouldnt take too long i guess!

Ph1 172 + Combo van

Quick question for you mate. After you wrapped the manifold did you paint it? With the high temperature stuff you used before you wrapped it? Thanks

M

mini-valver

Yeah, thats why it's black ;)

Jord, better to do it all again from scratch like you are, than do a Ryan and piss around for days on end to find it was exactly what was said in the first place. lol.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Your suppse to do a compression test with starter motor not by hand. If your losiing compression on one cyclinder try putting a tea spoon of oil in there, that will tell you if its piston rings. Prob a bent val thou :-( Sting.

ok, the head is off, the valves look ok.....just uploading pics now....gona do the petrol test in a minute....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

What a waste of time and money.

I don't mean that in a harsh way, and i hope i'm not offending you f0xy, but that car is a pile of crap.

ValverInBits

What a waste of time and money.

I don't mean that in a harsh way, and i hope i'm not offending you f0xy, but that car is a pile of crap.

pfft. he's having fun leave him alone :rasp:
It's a great project with ups and downs.....this is a down.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I know what you mean mate, and i really don't want to sound negative, but every single update reads :something broken/won't fit/fell off etc and I can't really see a light at the end of the tunnel.

White Sti Hatch

Im sure youll get it sorted out Jord, good things come to those who wait and all that lol

Wish i had the knowledge to go this far into a car !

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

I understand the point Dan is making, just as long as Jord is enjoying the project and not letting it get on top of him. Plus Jord aint no quitter! Im sure 90% of people now would have given up long ago! lol

Im sure when this is running Jord will have a big sense of achievment and also a Hybrid weapon :p

320d

Jords project is very insteresting and he isn't trying to cowboy it etc he is just doing a project himself and learning about it etc. He can already do more than 95% of people on here etc.

Imo there is too much of abusing peoples project thread on this forum. I think if you haven't got any constructive comments then don't comment atall as naith says above.

Hope its good new on the project btw.

foxy shame about the problems you've having dude, but consider it extra learning as you go along.

And chill ladies, dans apologised for coming across wrong, be man enough to accept it or just leave it as tbh drunkenmunkey your dick is up foxys arse currently, i think he can look after his self, judging by the thread.

I can imagnine Jord fixing his car in all weather conditions tbh!

New Post Title: "Engine Won't Start, Snow Inside Engine!"

ZX6R B1H

lmfbo @ the last couple of pages....

Dan - it did come across as a bit of a nasty post fella... But you dont learn anything if you do not do stuff like this yourself.

I've been chatting to jord most evenings about this engine and f**k me its just pure bad luck tbh. If the timing marks were correctly done this wouldnt of happend. But, im sure it isnt the first time nor the last time sombody will do this lol.

It seems he's had some 33mm valves IE megane f7r valves which would of caused a problem. Not sure if hes updated since that...

I say get stuck in fella like i did at your age, its the best way to learn... ive never understood paying garage prices. :D

DIY engine building FTW :D

Lets all bloiw jord a kissy kiss.... Mwahhhhhh

Jord just sent me a quick picture explaining what happened when he turned the key about 10 minutes ago....

mushroom-cloud1.jpg

LOL at whats been happening while ive been outside, oh well....here goes, its all good news btw :)

Started by removing the head from the block, to see only two cylinders had been firing...

DSC_0332.jpg

Then upon closer inspection it seemed the exhaust valves had touched at one point...

DSC_0334.jpg

Maybe was caused when the timing was originally out.... Anyway....

Checked the pistons, they looked ok...

DSC_0341.jpg

On closer inspection, they have been touched slightly...

DSC_0351.jpg

Nothing to worry about really....

Anyway went on to checking out the head, I was getting good compression from cylinders 1 and 3, and bad from 2 and 4. When looking at 2 and 4, you could see the light through the block!!

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

Anyway, whipped the valves out, and compared them with the williams ones that were originally in the head when I got it. It seems the 'new' ones i got, were a tiny bit larger...which would obviously cause problems. This also tallied up with there being gaps in the seat, either due to me not lapping them correctly, or them being the wrong valves, or a bit of both....

Megane inlets are 33mm, Williams are 32mm....probably could be the cause of many of my problems....Thankfully the exhaust valves are the same.

Re-lapped the williams valves that came with the head, and fitted them....

DSC_0348.jpg

Then fitted the cams back onto the head...

DSC_0349.jpg

Once they were both fitted, put the head back onto the block in the car...

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

And left it at that for today.... :)

Checked the inlet and exhaust valves before refitting, and they were sealed properly this time, no light could be seen through either, so hopefully it will be all good and run nice!

ValverInBits

AFPSML at this thread tonight, god it's funny when people argue.

:DAnd I love it when we all make up :D

Excellent work Jord! I didn't know that about megane valves, oh well live and learn. I'm sure she'll run a treat tommorrow. :)

Last edited:
M

mini-valver

PLEASE tell me you did a leak down before you put it back on dude?

M

mini-valver

*Helicoptor dance*

Nice one man, go finish it?

R56 JCW

So after all that the cause of it was meggy valves! f**ksake!! what a ball ache.

This is the sort of person Jord bought them from, with the shouting to women, "Trudy, whats the quickest way to get to Morrisons" God i love Yorkshire folk

[youtube]oMGJrMFgkfc[/youtube]

nice to see the trusty haynes manual! and good to hear its good news.

fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

Hope you get it going after doing them valves lol thank fook we found that out.