ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Some people have suggested it, but i highly doubt it, its completely sealed with loads of 10mms from the bottom, then obviously the top covers too...

I dont know whats going to happen now, I have no way of fixing it, and not enough money to start rebuilding engines again :( It had to work this time, and it didnt....

its worth f**k all, catch 22 situation.......break it for bits and thats bout it, cant be fucked doing that though!

dont see how a 1k old belt/tensioner/idler can fail, i always triple check when im timing it up, tension etc, FFS

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I am genuinely gutted mate.

In a minute, i'll have a very recently built 2.0 bottom end 1800 head engine for grabs if its any good to you??

Would hate to see all your efforts flushed down the pan. :(

Like I said in previous (won't go there! lol) posts, JINXED!!

:(

I cant afford to buy another block unfortunately :(, i have two valver heads just lying around, but I cant be bothered to fit them (Would need more head bolts and gaskets), to take a step backwards to where I was, wasting like £500 in doing so...:(

Ive just spent:

Head Gasket Kit: £60
Head Bolts: £50
Cambelt Kit (Genuine): £90
Williams Head: £110
16 New Valves: £150
Other s**t (Waterpump, Thermostat, Dizzy, Sparks, Skimming etc): £120

Even though I didnt end up using half of the valves, the other half are most likely fucked now too :(

Thats just the start of the costs...I dont see why it didnt work, everythings new, it HAD to work this time, everything went good....but yet again, failed :(

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Seriously Jord, I have a boat load of spares from the guy I bought the car off, just let me know what you need and if I can help I will.

ValverInBits

so the options are £300ish plus fluids to repair (leaving dented pistons)..... or break it.

With the effort of breaking isnt fixing the only way?

Just really really unbeleivable bad luck mate:(. Hopefully with the cover off you'll get an idea of why the belt snapped? Try get a free Cambelt kit out of it or something?

I wont be breaking it, its gone too far now....Its just a matter of when I have the money to rebuild it, and the patience...As im looking at it like, what happens if i spend another £300-400, maybe more, rebuilding it, for this to happen again? Then I could be possibly a grand down the pan....

I guess it will be clearer when I get a proper look at it, but maybe not, who knows!

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Just sleep on it mate.

Things always seem cleare in the morning.

Lionel Richie

if you decided to sell it let me know chap, gutted for you though squire, but find out what's caused it first

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

I wont be breaking it, its gone too far now....Its just a matter of when I have the money to rebuild it, and the patience...As im looking at it like, what happens if i spend another £300-400, maybe more, rebuilding it, for this to happen again? Then I could be possibly a grand down the pan....

I guess it will be clearer when I get a proper look at it, but maybe not, who knows!
Why dont you borrow my engine stand and fully rebuild it out if car. Less chance of missing anything and you can see whats what. Has the valver head got valves in it still???

audi a6 3.0tdi

Don't give up on it mate there are plenty of people on here willing to help you out seen as you're a cliosport hero :)

f**ked ph1 172

maybe something got left lightly loose in the rush to get it ready? dont worry about new bolts, buy a headgasket from ebay, bolts will be fine for another use as it'll be temporary.

ITB'd MK1

that sucks :( Headbolts will be fine to go again, they're not stretch bolts, and you know they're new and not fatigued or corroded. Head gasket set should be cheaper than that, doesn't need to be genuine. If you still have the old valves just get them re-cut at less than £5 each. Sure the cam caps were torqued correctly? 2 different torque settings for the different bolt sizes etc. Too tight and the cam could have been binding on a journal maybe. Hope you sort it :)

Why dont you borrow my engine stand and fully rebuild it out if car. Less chance of missing anything and you can see whats what. Has the valver head got valves in it still???

the one at yours has, but its in bits, and im not putting a valver head back on it and back in the car after all this effort.....taking a backwards step

maybe something got left lightly loose in the rush to get it ready? dont worry about new bolts, buy a headgasket from ebay, bolts will be fine for another use as it'll be temporary.

not sure, made sure i double checked everything :dapprove:

that sucks :( Headbolts will be fine to go again, they're not stretch bolts, and you know they're new and not fatigued or corroded. Head gasket set should be cheaper than that, doesn't need to be genuine. If you still have the old valves just get them re-cut at less than £5 each. Sure the cam caps were torqued correctly? 2 different torque settings for the different bolt sizes etc. Too tight and the cam could have been binding on a journal maybe. Hope you sort it :)

i used half of the old valves (inlets) because the guy who i got the new ones off sold me the wrong valves, so if they are bent i have no inlets left....i have a spare set of exhaust ones though...

yeah the cam caps were all good, 10Nm for the 10mms, 25Nm for the Torx ones....:dapprove:

Will just have to take it apart and investigate!

yeah, but its a backwards step, and it has problems in itself (why i did the williams head in the first place) it drinks fuel, etc.....

im going to take the engine out and sell the bottom end and head seperately i think, then go from there....the block is shite, and jynxed

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP

Dude you have had nothing but problems with this car!!!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

LOL!!!

Proper gutted Jord :( Thats what you get for buying it of an asian pizza boy!

On another note you can now flog it to fred and buy a ph2 - buy cheap buy twice :rasp:

M

mini-valver

Dunno what to say lad. Other than I also have a massive paperweight outside, lol.

ValverInBits

LOL!!!

Proper gutted Jord :( Thats what you get for buying it of an asian pizza boy!

On another note you can now flog it to fred and buy a ph2 - buy cheap buy twice :rasp:
Thats not going to happen. We all know jord has better taste than that :rasp:

Just a thought. Have you considered an F4R. I know the conversion is a bit of a ballache (starting with unlocking the ECU, then the loom) but the engines are far more common than original williams blocks. I know it means more work, but it's one to think about anyway.
Good luck dude

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Like I said on the phone last night, I'm gutted for you!! You've had loads of problems with it but don't give up. When you took me out the other night and on oulton the other day it was just amazing. Just don't give up!!!!!!! Give us a shout if you want a hand with anything or a lift any where (within reason lol).

320d

Jord i'm gutted for you mate :dapprove:

Its an awsome project and i'm sure that it will turn out ok in the end.

Like I have said previously your car will be the star of cliosports FCS 09 stand.

Going to take the head off tomorrow, and look at the damage.

If none of the inlet valves are bent, its possible I could rebuild this easily, as i have a spare set of exhaust valves. Although, if any of the inlets are bent, I'm stuck....

If thats the case, I'm either going to try and find a complete engine to drop in that will run from the off, or declare the car SORN and buy a run-a-round until I decide what I'm going to do with it, and try to find a unit to do the work in.....driveway FTL, just about had enough of it.

So, I guess tomorrow will reveal all, and the path this will go...

Bit of an update.....Got the cam cover off...

DSC_0410.jpg

DSC_0408.jpg

Nice chewed up belt....pulled it out...

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0415.jpg

Had a quick look....

DSC_0418.jpg

Bit of gravel, im guessing there definitely must be more down the bottom for this to happen :(