ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

possibly, thinking that atm :(

Just about to take the head off, then I can get the lower cam cover off easier and see whats in the bottom of it, im guessing gravel...

330i. E30 Touring.

Surely, with the amount of times you've done it, you can strip the engine down in about ten minutes?! ;)

yeah, lol....right its fully in pieces now

Pistons:

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

Head: (6 or 8 Bent, cant really definately tell without taking them out, and I couldnt be arsed)

DSC_0422.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

Left the head in the garage, and took the AUX belt off along with the covers for the bottom pulley etc...

DSC_0430.jpg

Found some gravel under the crank pulley...

DSC_0433.jpg

One of the idlers looks proper chewed for some reason...

DSC_0434.jpg

Anyway....was going dark and couldnt be bothered so put the bonnet back on top and called it a day....

DSC_0429.jpg

So where next.....who knows!

wait and see ;)

its a shi**er mate seemed great when we went st helens that morning then think a few hours later and its fu**ed

TVR Cerbera

gravel traps are nasty places, that's why i like airfield traks, maybe a bit boring, but only grass to run off to. This has definately made me think again about doing proper trackdays, unless i can make sure that don't happen to me. gutted for you.
Daz

yeah was thinking about it the other day, its entirely doable but it would be over a few months.

My next step is to try and find a unit or somewhere to store/work on this car, as I think im going to buy a run around, then do the hybrid over the next couple of months.....f4r possibly. All depends on funds, etc, and weather I can find somewhere to do it.....thats the next thing I need to find really.

TVR Cerbera

yeah was thinking about it the other day, its entirely doable but it would be over a few months.

My next step is to try and find a unit or somewhere to store/work on this car, as I think im going to buy a run around, then do the hybrid over the next couple of months.....f4r possibly. All depends on funds, etc, and weather I can find somewhere to do it.....thats the next thing I need to find really.

The f4r has been done before, but what about a 197 engine......oh nice

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

So is the general consensis (sp) that gravel caused this?

That engine has like a vodoo curse on it or something, just chuck it in the bin and look for a cheap F4R.

Looking at the pics those pistons look too damaged to risk using again, but im no expert.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

The 197 is a different F4R and its 6sp box won't drop straight into a mk1

ValverInBits

leave it out! where you going to find one of those for reasonable cash? Plus the gearbox won't fit, so the chassis legs would have to go....and the rest. gearboxes are not interchangable between the 197 and 1*2
I think you should just see what comes up on the market jord and go for whats good value. :D

aye i know people have done it before, most of the problems associated with it have been ironed out-ish

So is the general consensis (sp) that gravel caused this?

That engine has like a vodoo curse on it or something, just chuck it in the bin and look for a cheap F4R.

Looking at the pics those pistons look too damaged to risk using again, but im no expert.

I thinkso yeah, the cambelts got to have been rubbing on something to get that score mark i think....

Lionel Richie

those pistons will go again! (can't really tell from those pics if i'm honnest! just fancied egging Jord on ;))

M

mini-valver

The tensioner is chewed like that because its picked up stones in the belt, ran the stones round and chucked the belt off, which has snapped it. Leak test cylinder 1+4, if none of the valves are bent, order 4 inlet valves, use the old exhaust valves. Grind them in and get a new belt and headgasket. Back together in a day!

The tensioner is chewed like that because its picked up stones in the belt, ran the stones round and chucked the belt off, which has snapped it. Leak test cylinder 1+4, if none of the valves are bent, order 4 inlet valves, use the old exhaust valves. Grind them in and get a new belt and headgasket. Back together in a day!

thing is......ive had enough of rebuilding this piece of s**t now tbh.

maybe i wouldnt be if it wasnt 3/4 times in the past two weeks, but its beginning to bore me....The local factors round here I guarantee will order the wrong inlets like last time, and its more hassle than its worth...then comes the pistons..?!?

M

mini-valver

Pistons will be reet. Just make sure theres no edges that can come off. Wet and dry FTW.

ITB'd MK1

yeah those pistons will be fine with a light tidy up. Got some used Williams inlet valves if you have trouble sourcing them, Sure we wont want too much :)

172 Race Car

So unlucky mate, as said dont get down. Have a break from it, then decide what to do. Fixing this is surely better than the expense and time involved in changing to an F4R.

Valves, cambelt, headgasket. Wont cost THAT much in comparison to getting another engine tat you would have to change the cambelt on anyway.

f**ked ph1 172

what size are the inlets?

If they're the same as a 172 I can send you some i have spare :)

they are 32mm IIRC, megane are 33mm (which i have 8 of)

not sure if the stem length is the same though?