ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

ValverInBits
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

I really wanna know WTF is in said bodged head!

Jord, didn't you have a volvo 1.7turbo engine knocking about? what happened to that? I expect it fitted and running by mid next week. Get on it. ;)

M

mini-valver

Nah, I wont go into details but f**k me I laughed!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member

You need to update the blog i read it off there to avoid all the spam :)

Clio mk1

Awesome project, I feel sorry for you! Amount of times you have rebuilt that engine! Out of interest how much wider is the 172 track compared to the williams?

Its the same width, the wishbones are the same as williams wishbones. The difference is the castor of the hubs/wheels, 172 Castor is different to williams, the holes for the bottom ball joints are in slightly different positions IIRC

I just wanted 172 brakes basically, lol, and I suppose more 4pot options if it ever goes that far (Larger disks mainly, 280mm over 259mm)...

But at the same time I wanted to be different from the normal widetrack, IIRC only one other person has done the full 172 running gear/suspension wise

wait and see ;)

has your mum seen the bricks yet ;), oh and M3 man gave me a funny look before so i told him f**k off at traffic lights lol:)

Went on a bit of a drive today, did around 50 miles, then it started spluttering a bit, like it was running out of fuel, but I knew it was not empty...

th_MOV00343.jpg

th_MOV00344.jpg

The engine sounds like its staying at the same RPM but the needle goes mad and there is like no power until the needle picks back up again...

It cut out after the 2nd video and would not restart, I pushed it off the main road, 10 mins later eventually got it going by turning it over with the pedal to the floor, then drove it a mile home (luckily I was nearly home) and it only did its spluttering thing once...

alien green rs133

sounds like you got a gremlin in your electronics sell up if i was you and replace with a willy

M

mini-valver

Bad earth or an earth fault somewhere IMO, how is the rev counter wired on the Mk1's, through the coilpack?

M

mini-valver

If the rev counter is wired through the coilpack, thats what I'd change.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

rev countered is wired straight to the coilpack, hence my thinking that the coilpack either isnt getting a signal (CPS) or it's not functioning properly...

afaik, all mk1 coilpacks are the same, so see if you can borrow one from somewhere

nice easy fix if it is! :D

M

mini-valver

Thats what I thought, posted at the same time as you dude!

Hows yours coming on BTW?

LY 182

does this problem get worse/better depending on engine temp?? i'd say coil too if so

'92 172, Lotus Elise

Thats what I thought, posted at the same time as you dude!

Hows yours coming on BTW?

mine?

hopefully getting MOT'd before the new year and then taxed! :D

it's completely finished... theres nothing that needs doing now... apart from driving the fooker :D

M

mini-valver

Awesome mate, glad it all worked out! Get some video's :p

does this problem get worse/better depending on engine temp?? i'd say coil too if so

not sure, id just gone a pretty fast hard drive for 30 mins then it started

then when it cut out near home, i pushed it round the corner, and 10 mins later it fired up

Seemed to run fine this morning, so I was stupid enough to drive to warrington, lol

Decided to cut out like yesterday on my way home, and would not restart at all. RAC came out, again, lol.....got home eventually.

The guy seemed to think its down to a bad earth, as when he took one of the leads off and plugged a spark plug in the end, it would fire when earthed and the engine was firing also....

I dont know how this could be possible though, as Ive not touched any of the earths for weeks and weeks....

yeah gona try it in the morning, if not get a multi meter on the case.....only other thing then i guess is coilpack!