ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Update from yesterday...

Day 152

Moved the arms around on the stand so I could get the sump off...

IMG_1393_1.jpg

IMG_1389_1.jpg

IMG_1385_1.jpg

Also found a piece of some sort of gasket on the oil pump gauze thing, although people I have spoke to say they have seen stuff like this before? Removed it anyway....

IMG_1388_1.jpg

Then fitted the new sump...

IMG_1394_1.jpg

IMG_1396_1.jpg

Got some more updates to post, will write those up tommorow. Cage should be here early next week also, had an email from the manufacturer on friday saying its ready to be sent :cool:

Day 154

Really needed to get cracking on with removing the rest of the stuff from the car that I wanted to get sorted, so I can get the engine in...times dragging on and a unit is no nearer, so...set about removing the subframe+suspension etc this afternoon...

IMG_1403_1.jpg

IMG_1405_1.jpg

Nice gravel...

IMG_1407_1.jpg

And the damage it did...

IMG_1409_1.jpg

Going to strip the stuff off the subframe tommorow, as its getting powdercoated. Also prepared the frame for a 'DIY' sump guard/under tray, more on that in the next few days....

Anyway, the coilovers have only covered 1500~ miles, and they were looking very grubby...

IMG_1412_1.jpg

IMG_1411_1.jpg

IMG_1413_1.jpg

Got a few plans to keep them in decent-ish condition, more on that soon too...

Fitted the alternator brackets yesterday, along with the thermostat housing, which is now running two sensors...

IMG_1420_1.jpg

IMG_1435_1.jpg

IMG_1437_1.jpg

And got on with painting a few more bits that are going to be black...

IMG_1424_1.jpg

IMG_1422_1.jpg

IMG_1423_1.jpg

Few ones of the engine itself at the moment, all painted apart from the top cam cover...

IMG_1416_1.jpg

IMG_1419_1.jpg

More soon...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

172 shocks Jord? I was thinking about some plastic tubing, like thin drainpipe? to cover my shocks as they are buggered! Sooo much crap on them.

ITB'd 182...

LOL at the gravel!

You gonna be running a filter in the scuttle tray like they do with the valvers?

Should be an animal once completed!

172 shocks Jord? I was thinking about some plastic tubing, like thin drainpipe? to cover my shocks as they are buggered! Sooo much crap on them.

They are williams coilovers dude, bolt holes enlarged by 1mm to take 172 bolts through the machnined hubs...

Took me about two hours to get them into a respectable condition...On my old car I simply put a piece of duct-tape rounnd the threads, stayed on for 10k+ miles, took it off, was brand new underneath, going to use that again I rekon

LOL at the gravel!

You gonna be running a filter in the scuttle tray like they do with the valvers?

Should be an animal once completed!

Not sure yet, maybe, maybe not lol....just want to get it in, along with getting the welding sorted on the cage, and few other bits on the bulkhead

similar, I went for CustomCages though, 7-10 day turnaround :p differences are ive got a bar going across the front/bulkhead where the dash would usually be, harness bar already cut, and a few other bits.....will be explained in here on the day it goes in :approve:

Day 155

Picked up a new waterpump from GSF today, the one that was on wasnt original, but id rather replace it for piece of mind...

IMG_1439.jpg

Also painted the top cover, had the oil breather plate off and re-sealed it, then painted it...

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

Day 156

No pics from today, but ordered alot of stuff from Renault, new 172 header tank, all the exhaust/inlet gaskets, new throttle body gasket, as ive had the body off to paint the inlets, color will be revealed soon enough :)

More soon...

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172

Top Banana!

Please can you knock me up a Sump Guard too Jord? I'm on my 3rd sump in 11 months! :S

If the subframes are the same its a piece of piss :)

I just had 4 holes drilled on the center bit (two were already there), then 4 nuts welded onto the inside over the holes....cut the sheet to shape (not mega thick stuff though), drilled the four holes....4 washers + 4 bolts, sorted....its off at the moment though getting powdercoated....

Pics will be up when I get it back

If the subframes are the same its a piece of piss :)

I just had 4 holes drilled on the center bit (two were already there), then 4 nuts welded onto the inside over the holes....cut the sheet to shape (not mega thick stuff though), drilled the four holes....4 washers + 4 bolts, sorted....its off at the moment though getting powdercoated....

Pics will be up when I get it back

I see words, but it all means nothing to me...

Can you explain in terms of Pounds and Pence and how long it will take you to fit it?? ;)

340i

Oh god Baggers.....

I can make you one to original specification if you want... Choose your material:

Stainless Steel

Titanium £££££££££££££

Aluminium

If peeps where interested, I could work out the costing... and for a limited period re-open Gray-Motorsport for a super limited edition group buy? ;)

Clio 2.0 Sport 172

dude I haven't read through the whole thing but I seriously admire you for having the nack for doing all this

I would have given up taking the hud off lol

Day 157

Didnt get much done today, but anyway...Removed the bracket from the steering column where the key-barrel usually goes...Grinder, file and sandpaper later....

IMG_1466.jpg

Can be seen in its original position on the right of the steering column...

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

Just needs a bit of paint and il be happy with that :)

I was then going to give the hubs a bit of paint, but remembered they still have the chopped off ABS sensors in them...thought id remove them...

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

The rest of the people who were there kept behind the glass...too chicken to be around with the angle grinder on tbh!

An hour later, after a grinder, chisel, milling machine, punch and a tap finally got the ABS sensors out, never knew they were a magnet and all sorts of crap...anyway, both removed now and ready for paint...

IMG_1462.jpg

More soon...

there would have been if the photographer had been any good with pressing the trigger button, lol

320d

Good updates jord. Any luck with your unit? or you just going to keep doing little bits on the drive untill your mum has a go at you again.

Oh god Baggers.....

I can make you one to original specification if you want... Choose your material:

Stainless Steel

Titanium £££££££££££££

Aluminium

If peeps where interested, I could work out the costing... and for a limited period re-open Gray-Motorsport for a super limited edition group buy? ;)

Yeah - as long as you know what you're fooking doing? Don't want any CRAP like the bloody decats again, the Kevs have modded mine so it's reet now... x

Track valver + Ibiza FR

You shoulda given me a shout if you wanted a half decent local photographer lol. I need to come to the factory again and see it all for myself. Any idea on when the engine is been dropped in?

You shoulda given me a shout if you wanted a half decent local photographer lol. I need to come to the factory again and see it all for myself. Any idea on when the engine is been dropped in?

Im usually there getting stuff done through the week, lol

going back in when i get my subframe back!

Good updates jord. Any luck with your unit? or you just going to keep doing little bits on the drive untill your mum has a go at you again.

Nah, ive ripped the whole front-end off the car on the drive, my mum hasnt been arsed...yet lol....

Once i get the subframe and bits back from the powdercoaters itl be on four wheels again :cool:

Day 158

Another load of stuff bought from Renault...Exhaust manifold gasket, inlet manifold gaskets, 172 clutch release bearing, exhaust manifold nuts, throttle body gasket, 172 header/expansion tank...

IMG_1469.jpg

Fitted the lower inlet, fuel rail and fuel rail guard to see what it all looked like...

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

Then got on with wirebrushing the hubs, calipers, etc...

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

Pained the same black as everything else...

IMG_1487.jpg

Also sprayed the steering column where the key barrel had been removed, would never be able to tell now ;)

IMG_1484.jpg

And a few pics of the inlets on top...

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

More soon... :cool: