ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

lol at nic being back

jords looks great mate, need to come over and see it some day if you are around this/next week?

jamie

up for that, but then again i am employed again! so will have to be evening and weekends. hoping my job will be as easy as the gopher's since you are on here all the toime ;)

Looks awesome that, how much hammerite has that taken so far?

not much really, ive got a massive tin its done nearly everything and hubs/brakes loads more stuff, still over half left

lol at nic being back

jords looks great mate, need to come over and see it some day if you are around this/next week?

jamie

+1

Mini catch up meeting? A proper one this time?

yeah sure.....where/when?

Mk1 Clio F4R'd

Just had a catch up (last i read was when you had the old lump, and everything was breaking, i.e. bolts, screws etc.)

Looking really good now though mate! Cant wait till its finished!! :D

Day 162

Only a few bits sorted tonight...Needed something to block off the pipe from the head that would usually go to the carbon canistor (sp). Geesus69 used a bung from Demon Tweeks, but I thought id try to 'make do'...

This is the original pipe sticking out...

IMG_0983.jpg

Got the tap out...

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

Bolt threaded in nicely...

IMG_1652.jpg

But it seemed the tap wouldnt go all the way through...so instead of thinking 'oh lets shorten the bolt', I carried on and ground the tap down :eek: lol

IMG_1656.jpg

But even then, it wouldnt go in far enough, so Jams was the one who reminded me to shorten the bolt instead, lol..

IMG_1661.jpg

Then screwed it all the way in with a bit of sealant...

IMG_1662.jpg

Finally, cut the pipe down slightly, just need a jubliee clip now to hold it in place...

IMG_1675.jpg

That was that sorted :approve: Then went onto fit the Aux belt I picked up yesterday, cheers Winston :cool:

IMG_1632.jpg

But hit a problem when I realised it was rubbing on the cambelt cover somehow, not sure why yet!

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

More soon!

320d

Its realy coming on now, when will it be ready to go into the car?

Happy Birthday Jord, good old facebook reminded me.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

LOL @ not just cutting the bolt, its all about the learning process!

I hope the engine goes as good as it looks anyway! :p

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

you need a 5 ribbed belt mate

known issue with the 6 ribbed rubbing on the cambelt cover ;)

thats well odd...will it not matter on a 6 rib pulley?

Brun do you keep them in at you're place? 5x850mm?

looking great lad, i know fook all about engines, but presume unpainted wheel thingy lol is on the right way around? ie if you turn it around where would be more space between the belt and the cambelt cover?

IMG_1632.jpg

BMW M135i

looking great lad, i know fook all about engines, but presume unpainted wheel thingy lol is on the right way around? ie if you turn it around where would be more space between the belt and the cambelt cover?
Yes thats 100% on the right way round. It won't turn if you put it on backwards.

il get hold of a 5 rib belt then, should sort it.

Day 163

Got a bit done this evening, cut up the bonnet more, and got all the tar/adheasive off, got it how I wanted...

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

And started marking out the fitments for these...

IMG_1681.jpg

Took a while to work out where to position them, refering back to the car as to where the pins could go, got there in the end with my own 'DIY' template...

IMG_1682.jpg

Then used a holesaw to drill the bulk of the metal out, and then a grinder on an air line to shape...

IMG_1703.jpg

Will post pics when they are fully fitted tommorow. The bonnet is going to have to be fully sanded and sprayed, as the laquer has gone funny in quite a few places where the tar/adheasive was removed from the back, and the hole needs sorting!

Also picked up the long awaited T-piece for the oil pressure sensor and sender, seems to be a right nightmare to get hold of, but all fits fine...

IMG_1683.jpg

More soon...

ValverInBits

are the catches going to be the only thing holding the bonnet down? Those are going to be quite near the hinge for that i'd have thought mate?
Nice progress, Like the idea of the single skin bonnet

are the catches going to be the only thing holding the bonnet down? Those are going to be quite near the hinge for that i'd have thought mate?
Nice progress, Like the idea of the single skin bonnet

there are no hinges, been angle ground off.....the catch remains, two pins at the front, original catch at the back

the original hinges pissed me off so bad, nightmare to remove the bonnet to work on the car, etc...this way its easy :approve:

ValverInBits

there are no hinges, been angle ground off.....the catch remains, two pins at the front, original catch at the back

the original hinges pissed me off so bad, nightmare to remove the bonnet to work on the car, etc...this way its easy :approve:

me likes :) very nice.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Cool! Whats the script with the motor? Is it std, so 172 brake in a car that weight 900? holy moly! Hold on tight.

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Looking good jord. What was that unit like that you went to look at yesterday just down the lancs? Any good?

Cool! Whats the script with the motor? Is it std, so 172 brake in a car that weight 900? holy moly! Hold on tight.

standard motor, for now.......hoping for less than 900, 850's the target with the cage in

Looking good jord. What was that unit like that you went to look at yesterday just down the lancs? Any good?

yeah it was ideal size like, no electric though, in the ghetto of eccles lol

Day 164

Picked up the subframe + brackets from the powdercoaters today, bargin for £25...

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

Next finished the bonnet off, both catches test fitted, fit fine as do the bolts...battle scars can be seen in the second picture, lol! Catches will obviously be coming back out to get the holes sorted and then the bonnet sprayed...

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

Here are a few more pics of the T-piece, the other pic was a bit crap...

IMG_1728.jpg

Oil pressure sender...

IMG_1729.jpg

Oil pressure sensor...

IMG_1730.jpg

Assembled...

IMG_1732.jpg

Fitted to the block...

IMG_1742.jpg

Also picked up a 5 rib aux belt today, fits fine now...another thing off the list...

IMG_1734.jpg

Finally fitted the Inlet manifold properly, along with the coilpack, throttle body with new gasket, etc..

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

More soon...

M

mini-valver

T-peice and sensors.....Where from?

Subframe looks mint dude! If I didnt need my car, I'd have it done when I do the clutch this weekend!

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

looks awsome mate very good work, i take it you took the skin off and just pinned it down? whats it weight?

Any more pics of that subframe Jord?

Uploading right now

T-peice and sensors.....Where from?

Subframe looks mint dude! If I didnt need my car, I'd have it done when I do the clutch this weekend!

T piece and fittings from Pirtek, sensors: sender=mk1, green sensor=172

looks awsome mate very good work, i take it you took the skin off and just pinned it down? whats it weight?

yeah, skin is fully off, then made template for the pins, the pins themselves are through a hole near the headlight mount...will be more pics of that soon..

it weighs 9.5kg now, not sure what standard is just yet, trying to find out!

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

cool i was thinking of doing something along the same lines but wasnt sure defo want pins right pain in the arse these bonnets its hard enough squeezing your hand in tight spots without the bonnet stopping you get in the front lol.

Yeah, i got so pissed off trying to get the bonnet on and off to work on it on my own...two pins and the original catch, no weight at all and its off easy :)