ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

**90's Jungle on at 400db**

Me: Hi mate, can you spray this cage white, please?!?1

Him: Wahhhhhhh?! Oreet! White mayyyte?!?

Good work though. And cheap.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Can I just say that, Jord I think all your photography and documenting is EPIC!

Not many people can make a Sub-frame look sexy lol

**90's Jungle on at 400db**

Me: Hi mate, can you spray this cage white, please?!?1

Him: Wahhhhhhh?! Oreet! White mayyyte?!?

Good work though. And cheap.

PMSL. I phoned him to see if they were done...could just hear 'DONK DONK DONK' in the background tbh

Can I just say that, Jord I think all your photography and documenting is EPIC!

Not many people can make a Sub-frame look sexy lol

;)

Day 166

Picked up a Ph1 bootlid and a Door from one of Winstons mate yesterday, for the sum of £0. The boot is mostly rust free, no rot, and has already been partially cut to save some weight. Ive stripped it down and its getting painted to go on the hybrid (Ph1 = No badge holes).

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

No idea what Im going to do with the door, but for nothing im not complaining...

Few last bits painted...

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

Checked all the bolts on the engine, new Oil filter on, everything tightened up...took it off the stand, and put the gearbox on for ease of painting...

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

Was going to paint these quickly too, but then realised the polybushes have moved inside the sleeve, like rotated, the flat edge of the bush is no longer where it used to be?

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

God knows, Il paint them when I find out why...

ValverInBits

speak to whiteley. He tacked his bushes in place with a little weld to avoid that happening.

speak to whiteley. He tacked his bushes in place with a little weld to avoid that happening.

its not the metal moving mate, its the rubber bush inside...I know the metals definately not moved because a stupid amount of force with the press was required just to get them in!

Nah, that was rotten to fook! this is off someone winston knows, think its a valver tailgate too, badged up y0

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182

i got lost bud so i went home :( ive rigged up me lights tho lol

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Nice work jord. You done any more work on the interior front loom?

Day 167

Not much more done, been busy with other stuff today...Got woke up at 7am with a package...

IMG_1809.jpg

ECU back from being decoded/unlocked/de-immobilised etc...hopefully should be plug and play :)

Gave the gearbox a quick go over with the paint...

IMG_1813.jpg

And another coat on a few other parts. Got some other stuff going on tommorow with welding etc, More then...

has to be running 100% by the start of april really, as the first trackday is mid april....

engine should be in within a week from now though, probably not running but starting to put it back together......then the rest of the car once I know its running ok engine wise...

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph

Looking very good!!

Whats the condition of the door in mate? my mate is after two doors, looks the same colour blue too!

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

has to be running 100% by the start of april really, as the first trackday is mid april....

engine should be in within a week from now though, probably not running but starting to put it back together......then the rest of the car once I know its running ok engine wise...

Im guessing your not coming next sunday then? or is the other car functional?

320d

Where's the trackday jord?

What tyres are you going to be using? Prada's you had on last time wasn't it, the ones that caused you your problems at oulton in the wet.

Ph1 172 + Combo van

Its like a concours project everything you putting back in looks brand new.

Awesome work as always:approve:

Looking very good!!

Whats the condition of the door in mate? my mate is after two doors, looks the same colour blue too!

its in pretty good condition, but im going to be cutting it up to use the bottom out of it to repair another door

Im guessing your not coming next sunday then? or is the other car functional?

other car is still being used as my everyday :approve:

Where's the trackday jord?

What tyres are you going to be using? Prada's you had on last time wasn't it, the ones that caused you your problems at oulton in the wet.

Its the Marham charity trackday, group of us going off here

going to get some eagle f1's again, or some t1-r's

hmmm looks like badly setup suspension could be the cause of something that severe, or incorrect pressures?

T1-R's are softer/wear quicker than F1's too, last time i had them the f1's lasted longer overall

BMW M5 & E36

Looking at the pic I'd say not enough pressure due to the massive roll/sidewall scrubbage. I had a nearly new set of T1r's on my 182 and they didnt come off as bad as that, I played about with pressures a fair amount though. That was on a standard 172.

T1-R's.... £117.24 delivered for 4....

what other 'decent' tyre, in 195/50/15, comes into a price bracket anywhere near that? Nothing that I can find at the moment....

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172

There is no other tyre for a good price, r888's are overpriced for what they are tbh, and last like 2 weeks on an every day car most probably!

T1-R's.... £117.24 delivered for 4....

what other 'decent' tyre, in 195/50/15, comes into a price bracket anywhere near that? Nothing that I can find at the moment....

Mate, you're building a hardcore track-prepped car, oui?

Save yourself some money and don't bother with 'decent' ROAD tyres for track use - as you WILL melt / wear / kill them on track once you get going (esp in your beast...).

I talk from my first year's experiences last year... 8 track days and 14 laps of th'Ring learned me that 'fast road' pads and 'road' tyres are a no-no, unless you're a '2 laps then in for a 1-hour polish then 2 laps' kind of track-dayer!

All IMO.

£232 delivered for 4x 15" R888s. Keep an eye on the pressure when on track and you'll get as much, if not more, life than something like these:

DSCN3645.jpg

I see yeah....but the thing is, its my every day car until say september/october this year, too....

So what are R888's going to be like in horrible wet weather, and general road day-to-day use?

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

I see yeah....but the thing is, its my every day car until say september/october this year, too....

So what are R888's going to be like in horrible wet weather, and general road day-to-day use?

in damp/wet R888's are fantastic imo i was still doing gerrads at 85-90mph in the wet at mallory.

standing water is a big problem with them though as they just aquaplane.

road use is fine, grip is fine once there is heat in them. Just dont push them when you have just set off or they have been stood around for abit.

carl