ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Expert HDI & R53
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Nice skills mate, this project is coming along nicely..

I really enjoy reading your updates :)

Can wait to see more.

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i

looking lovely!

How many hours a week do you spend working on your Hybrid just out of interest, i would love to come down and have a look one day, maybe make you a cuppa tea :)

ValverInBits

jord, did you say 3mm thick steel sump gaurd? Is this going to be the first valver to be capable of minefield clearing?

;)
Glad to see it's all coming together. All that painting has paid off.

looking lovely!

How many hours a week do you spend working on your Hybrid just out of interest, i would love to come down and have a look one day, maybe make you a cuppa tea :)

usually whenever ive got nothing else to do in the daytime, lol...trying to get it running and sorted by the end of the month, so i dont have to piss around with it for the rest of summer

jord, did you say 3mm thick steel sump gaurd? Is this going to be the first valver to be capable of minefield clearing?

;)
Glad to see it's all coming together. All that painting has paid off.

yes, 3mm pmsl. im going to weigh it tommorow, its not that heavy tbh....it aint gona get dented easily though lol!

indeed...50k old bearings had siezed onto the stub axles FTL....came round for me to put his new disks on, but then i was like go on jams get it done, lol

Track valver + Ibiza FR

indeed...50k old bearings had siezed onto the stub axles FTL....came round for me to put his new disks on, but then i was like go on jams get it done, lol

Yea my ears are still ringing from hitting the disk with a big hammer. I never want to work on rear brakes of a clio ever againk, after doing my shoes and chris's brakes this weekend. I've come to work to de-stress.

Rant over :eek:

Day 176

Drove over to ClioSpares today, to pick up the last part of the engine bay puzzle, a 172 Radiator + Fan...

IMG_2127.jpg

Then also picked up a few more parts...172 Exhaust manifold-to-downpipe gasket, a pair of balljoints, new exhaust clamps, new exhaust rubbers and a 4th/front gearbox mount off Winston :approve:

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

Ive been making a downpipe over the past few days, as you need a 'custom' one to go through the gap between the subframe and bulkhead, which is unlike a standard 16v/williams that goes under the subframe....

It started with cutting the 'down' part off a standard 172 Cat...

IMG_2125.jpg

Then cutting one flange off an adjustable valver/williams BB Tuning decat...

IMG_6037.jpg

Next, i held the bit from the cat upto the manifold which is fitted to the engine, and worked out what angle I needed to get the pipe welded on at...After this I tacked it in place, and double checked...

I was happy with it, so had it properly welded...

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

Now, ive left the other part 'adjustable' for now, as I already know its sort of the right length to perfectly meet the standard Mk1 center section flange, which was the original idea. After I have fitted the exhaust tommorow, and triple checked the length is correct, il get the 'adjustable' bit welded up, so its a fixed downpipe :cool:

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

Another job off the list...not far off firing it up now :evil:

Ian

Focus TDCi

Roadworthy for the weekend mate? Looking forward to having a nosy round lol

nah be a while yet, missing suspension bits and bobs at the moment, il be happy if i can get it running thats about it lol...

Got the valver to come in at the weekend :p

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Really hope you get this to the Saturday meet, but for the love of God dont rush anything!!!

Bring the other valver if she's not ready.

no chance itl be ready dude, drivetrain or anything on, waiting on getting solid top mounts, and its got no tax/insurance....if its on the road (legally lol) by the end of the month, all done with cage and interior sorted too, il be happy :)

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Nice to see you got the downpipe sorted, afta my incorrect measuring :quiet:. Nicely done

Day 177

not much today, rain stopped play...downpipe + exhaust fully fitted. Adjusted the downpipe length so the exhaust fitted nicely, the downpipe fits through the subframe/bulkhead with room to spare both sides, and meets straight up with the exhaust.

All that needs doing is the downpipe removing, and the sleeved part welding up, so its a solid one piece downpipe...Engine bay side:

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

As it comes through...

IMG_2148.jpg

Joint is in the standard Mk1 exhaust position, so any Mk1 exhaust would fit straight on..

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

That was it really, not much else done, might try tidy up the wiring tommorow and try and start it....I hope anyway!

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

more good work, you seem to get alot done in a short time you work short hours or not in a job?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Jordan my love, you got any pice of the manifold/downpipe un fitted???

Pweeese???

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I seen that!! I just wanted to see.

Was it just made up of bits from a 172 mani??

172 manifold was left as standard, then i cut the downpipe off the standard 172 cat (ph2 cat though iirc, ph1 has two seperate cats or something?)

then got a 2.5" bore decat (same as downpipe bore) and cut one flange off....then welded a short piece on, in the correct direction...

fitted to the car, slid the other piece over, checked length with the exhaust fitted, then welded that up, so now its a solid downpipe :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

You said that about the last one! ;)

Fingers crossed dude... will call you on my lunch

mate tell me when you are firing this thing up, i need to get out and see it, i am away this weekend but must come round next week after work!

jamie