ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Well its all in place, rad fitted, hoses on, wiring in (mostly) etc etc....just cant get the fuel lines to fit on the valver end as of the moment....so there is no news as of yet :(

ITB'd 182...

:(

Been checking the updates in work!

Cant wait to see the "first start" vid ;)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

mite be worth turning it over with the king lead off first if that engine has sat long,too build the oil pressure

'92 172, Lotus Elise

no kinglead

just 'activate' the crash switch if you don't want it to run

did you try cranking over? or atleast seeing if the fuelpump primes?

currently just failing at getting it started....got the pump priming etc, but starter motor just gives off a loud CLICK on cranking, and dosent turn over....

tried the usual hitting with hammer, etc

White Sti Hatch

currently just failing at getting it started....got the pump priming etc, but starter motor just gives off a loud CLICK on cranking, and dosent turn over....

Bigger Hammer ?

Skoda Fabia vRS

battery clamps on tight ?...........battery fully charged ?

yep^, and yeah its charged, also got the blue valver running with jump leads connected to the battery, so technically its the most power its ever going to get...

I had sparks coming from the bay at one point, so I thought something must be shorting...removed one of the earths (acctually the radiator fan earth, nothing else goes to it) and never saw any more sparks...When trying to crank now the starter just clicks rapidly, solenoid?

no...solenoid is clicking so sounds like its working...try earthing the starter body with a jump lead..if not remove it and bench test..

alien green rs133

no...solenoid is clicking so sounds like its working...try earthing the starter body with a jump lead..if not remove it and bench test..

find putting it is vice or such like is advisable as they dont half jump across the floor overwise ;)

'92 172, Lotus Elise

good point... you've covered the whole thing in paint so i might not be earthing properly!

Clio 200 LY/SV650S

Guess this was the car you was on about when met you before, jesus I'm impressed as how the hell you know how to do all of this! I'm struggling to figure out how to sort me mounts out nevermind swap the whole engine over ha
Nice project mate

good point... you've covered the whole thing in paint so i might not be earthing properly!

didnt paint the starter motor :rasp:

and all the earthing points (gearbox strap, etc) have been sanded back to bare fresh metal today as i was connecting them :dapprove:

....and all the earthing points (gearbox strap, etc) have been sanded back to bare fresh metal....

;)

which should mean there is no difference to how it was, as if the earthing points are clean the physical block dosent have to be?

i see i see....will remove the starter in the morning then.....technically if i try what maxi said, jump lead from the motor to a clean part of the block, it should work as a test? if it does, clean up the block where the motor goes time...?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

Defo earth the started, had the same problem on my 172, I painted the engine mounts on mine (sanded contact points) and it was doing it! I added a further earth a it ran!

ok the starter has a good earth, continuity test confirms this. Had the starter off, sanded both faces (starter + box) and then refitted. Tried to crank again, solenoid just clicks, then nothing...

Went to try and turn the engine over by hand (bottom crank pulley) and i cant move it?!? So took spark plugs out, still cant turn it over....hmmm.

ValverInBits

hmmmmm. I'd definitely bench test the starter with a battery and jump leads. If it's spinning then you know your problem is elsewhere.
Where did this engine come from mate? Have you had the sump off it?

DSC00385.jpg

another project filled with win.

yeah mate ive had the sump off, all looked in order

aye, sheared off.

ben, what did you do? stud extractor?

TBH i think the engine is siezed or something, i physically cant turn it over by hand, so no wonder the starter cant...

need to pull it out first...then you should drill the crank bolt and either stud extractor or weld a smaller bolt to it..and wind it out..

sorry to hear about this mate...gutted for you...

should i expect a visit on monday ?

will have to see, cba wasting any more time on this engine if i cant even get it to turn over by hand

need to pull it out first...then you should drill the crank bolt and either stud extractor or weld a smaller bolt to it..and wind it out..

sorry to hear about this mate...

how does the cambelt bottom pulley go onto the bottom crank, similar to the F7R?

I mean if i take that thread out, is the bottom cambelt pulley going to remain in place or come off?

yeah just keyed in place and held on with the bottom pulley i think...iirc..not done a lot on F4R's..but its should stay in place anyway without the bolt..but you might need the head removing to check way it won't turn over by hand..