ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

yeah, thinking that myself, just means new headgasket/headbolts etc if i take the head off and there is nothing wrong with it.

Only thing i can think is the valves may be bent, and the pistons at the top touching it and wont go any further...meaning it wont turn over?

there is no way of telling this with the head on though is there?!

difficult mate really could be a seized bottom end or as you say piston/valve contact..
i would remove the head at least to start if it was mine..then you can inspect it and see..that way at least you will have a better idea

alien green rs133

why would you not take head off when it was on floor???
i would of taken head off done headgasket just for peace of mind :D

difficult mate really could be a seized bottom end or as you say piston/valve contact..
i would remove the head at least to start if it was mine..then you can inspect it and see..that way at least you will have a better idea

yeah true, suppose il get the engine back out over the next few days then.

Would it be possible to tell if a bottom end is siezed from looking at it with the sump off (already done previously), or is it a matter of taking the crank off completely?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

I'd be very careful here, there is NO woodruff key, so you may well have lost cam timing now, as the pulley and thusly the belt is purely taper fit on the crank!!
Silly question, did you try turning it over with the V-belt off? I've known a seized alternator to stop an engine turning over

why would you not take head off when it was on floor???
i would of taken head off done headgasket just for peace of mind :D

as maxi said, i was told the engine was fine and had been running etc, milage checked out and the cambelt/tensioners were not original, so it had been changed....

plus i didnt want to faff around with the timing on this one just yet, as ive no idea how to do it 'properly' so to speak, there seems to be allsorts mentioned in different places...suppose il have to now though

whip the head off...if its turns then using the flywheel then most likely valve contact stopping it..if not either seized pistons or crank..then you have to remove the rods and pistons one at a time until you either find the culprit or remove them all and means the crank is seized..

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

yeah true, suppose il get the engine back out over the next few days then.

Would it be possible to tell if a bottom end is siezed from looking at it with the sump off (already done previously), or is it a matter of taking the crank off completely?

Sump off, take the con rods off the crank and turn the crank by itself? Just make sure you mark which journal fits which cylinder if it had to go back together again

I'd be very careful here, there is NO woodruff key, so you may well have lost cam timing now, as the pulley and thusly the belt is purely taper fit on the crank!!
Silly question, did you try turning it over with the V-belt off? I've known a seized alternator to stop an engine turning over

yeah, tried that earlier.

i was spinning the alt and waterpump pullies by hand too, so they must be fine.

basically it now seems im going to have to rip the block apart and see whats happened, ive got a bad feeling the block is fucked....

matteh has done a few of these as well as stan...new about the odd timing set up but never had the pleasure yet..

alien green rs133

as maxi said, i was told the engine was fine and had been running etc, milage checked out and the cambelt/tensioners were not original, so it had been changed....

plus i didnt want to faff around with the timing on this one just yet, as ive no idea how to do it 'properly' so to speak, there seems to be allsorts mentioned in different places...suppose il have to now though

if only you wernt so far away :cool: as i have propper tools and could help :D
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...-2.241211&sspn=5.765654,22.587891&ie=UTF8&z=8

ValverInBits

This is the F4Rs completely 'floating engine' setup or something isnt it. Piss poor design idea imo

Sorry to see this Jord. That's real real hard luck mate. I'd get the engine back out and on the stand and then look at options. You may even be able to see a bent valve down an inlet/exhaust port. But I think it's going to be sump off, cambelt off, look at removing the sheared bolt/new crank, see what turns and what doesnt etc.
Good luck

Vw caddy tdi

Is it possible before stripping to try turning engine over by hand using spanner/socket on crank bolt?

thats what caused the bolt to shear off mate^

Hutchie, its not that far lol....i did 500 mile round trip for the engine itself ;)

alien green rs133

thats what caused the bolt to shear off mate^

Hutchie, its not that far lol....i did 500 mile round trip for the engine itself ;)

over two hours each way :rasp:

if you need me you know where i am :D

There is no key way on the Bottom pulley of a F4R free floating hold in place by the bottom pulley bolt the pulley can say in place but the timing will be out now any way

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Sump off, take the con rods off the crank and turn the crank by itself? Just make sure you mark which journal fits which cylinder if it had to go back together again

In case you missed this idea as this thread is moving fast:eek:

You could also pull the pistons up and down by the rods by hand to check that aswell. And you could maybe do it in situe?

Last edited:

I guess the engines coming back out then, head and sump off, and check if the crank spins, or if there are any bent valves.

Do the pistons have to come out if im removing the crank (if i need to), and if they have to come out, do they need new rings?

alien green rs133

I guess the engines coming back out then, head and sump off, and check if the crank spins, or if there are any bent valves.

Do the pistons have to come out if im removing the crank (if i need to), and if they have to come out, do they need new rings?

in theory pistons can stay in,

just need to keep shells in right order

cant think it will be siezed, i would "almost" put money on bent valves :dapprove:

LY 182

it wont be bent valves, would still turn over... it may lock going one way but you'd be able to turn it backwards free enough.

100% not that if it wont turn at all.

its pretty fecking seized if it snapped the crank bolt.

i think its spun a big end bearing, didnt the sump have a hole in it when you bought it?

theres your answer.. sellers lied to you mate.

i dont beleive you have done all that painted it etc etc without even checking the thing turns though!!??

first steps getting the broken bolt out (which will be an arse as that will be impossible to drill its too hard) put another bolt in.

then you want to take the sump off,, slacken each big end bolt a half a turn and see if it turns.

if it frees it up bin it,, crank will be knackered and not worth continuing.

sounds silly but you've not left the timing pin in it have you?

LY 182

and no the head or pistons dont have to come out to get the crank out.. just sump and gearbox.

FFS....

Your middle name 'Lucky' by chance??

yep :dapprove:

it wont be bent valves, would still turn over... it may lock going one way but you'd be able to turn it backwards free enough.

100% not that if it wont turn at all.

its pretty fecking seized if it snapped the crank bolt.

i think its spun a big end bearing, didnt the sump have a hole in it when you bought it?

theres your answer.. sellers lied to you mate.

yes it did, was told by the seller he heard it running before he bought it, then took it home...probably all lies now like.

Ive had the sump off once, but tbh, i wouldnt know what too look for by looking at it to say either 'yes its damaged' or 'no its not'...never touched a bottom end

i dont beleive you have done all that painted it etc etc without even checking the thing turns though!!??
went on the sellers word...suppose i never will again :rolleyes:

first steps getting the broken bolt out (which will be an arse as that will be impossible to drill its too hard) put another bolt in.
how can i put another bolt in? there is no thread left to do that, its snapped off half way in the cambelt bottom pulley?!?

then you want to take the sump off,, slacken each big end bolt a half a turn and see if it turns.

if it frees it up bin it,, crank will be knackered and not worth continuing.

sounds silly but you've not left the timing pin in it have you?
nah no timing pin mate, ive not touched the timing...

If the seller has lied, he must be a right stupid idiot as i did it through ebay, got his mobile number, landline number, full name, full address, etc...if the cranks fubar'd........well we will see...

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

fecking hell mate this is a shitter, good luck getting it sorted tho must be gutting

LY 182

i mean get the bolt out first,, the problem (well the 2) you are going to have is if you have tightened it enough to snap it,, being a stretch bolt it may have stretched in the threads and it will be tight ie you wont just tap it round with a screwdriver but it is worth a go...

and the other problem is i think its a 10.9 bolt ie hard as anything so you'll struggle to drill it if at all.
i'd be inclined to try tap it round with a punch

ah right yeah....technically if i remove the belt and the bottom cambelt pulley, there should be half inch of thread sticking out by the looks of it...if it hasnt stretched in the threads it should be possible to get it out with some grips?!

If not il have to try a punch, then if that fails...i guess its stuck good and proper?

ValverInBits

thinking about it though, if it's spun a bottom end bearing, it's not going to be worth doing anything to that crank.
Bottom end checks first?

TVR Cerbera

F0xy, i'll tell you now, i doubt if it's a spun bearing, because i've had one and it would still turn over on the starter (very slow but did turn). you either have more than one spun bearing (which i doubt) or a seized bottom end. bearing in mind you had a hole in the sump and a 'WAS' running comment, i'd say it was seized. Either way the cheapest option is to get another bottom end, i didn't and it cost me a lot more than your whole project!

Sorry to hear this mate, should have kept the valver engine and turbo'd it! you'll get it sorted i'm sure

Daz

'92 172, Lotus Elise

ffs!! :(

172s do not like going in mk1s!!

you have taken the crank locking pin out? :eek: