ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Few productive things done today, along with a few unproductive ones...anyway...

After fitting the downpipe and setting the length when the engine was in, I had the 'adjustable' bit welded up...Then I painted it with high temp paint, along with the manifold itself too...

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

Also dropped the gearbox off to get the circlip welded into place...hence why the fork and release bearing are in that pic...

I had some exhaust wrap left over from when I did the williams manifold and downpipe for the F7R, so decided to wrap the downpipe with that, and Im going to get some more to do the manifold itself too. Once i had wrapped it, i realised there wasnt enough to do the complete downpipe, lol...so going to have to add a short bit when I get some more to do the manifold...

IMG_2293.jpg

Next, went back to the factory to get the head off the engine...yet more fun. Didnt have the cam locking tool to get the pullies off, so improvised with the old cambelt, a bit of force and a few people. Cracked the exhaust pulley off after a few attempts, and then removed the cam cover with the inlet cam/pulley still 'attached' to it, such a GAY design. Gona have to get that pulley buzzed off tommorow.

Anyway, looking around, noticed a problem...one of the studs had bent...think it was when we had the cambelt in place round the exhaust cam using it to get the pulley off :(

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

Anyway, Matteh to the rescue with the part number for a new one, off to renault tommorow...meh.

Still need to get the crank bolt sorted, attempting to knock it round didnt work, seems like its stuck in pretty tight....

Golf GTD Mk7

should change your name to 'Issues' mate. Just wondering, why did you paint the manifold only to wrap it? Is it really easy to do the heat wrapping?

should change your name to 'Issues' mate. Just wondering, why did you paint the manifold only to wrap it? Is it really easy to do the heat wrapping?

lol, issues indeed.

I painted it so its a clean surface for the wrap to go over, I was told by a few people its recommended to do so, so if water gets into the wrap when its on the car, and its sat in the wrap, it dosent start rusting the exhaust inside....

Wrap is pretty easy....wet it, start at one end, make sure you keep it tight, then use stainless ties. When it dries it gets tighter...Then i spray it with some silicone heat wrap sealant to keep all the crap out (double precaution)

doing the timing with the tools, well im not, someone who has timed them up before is...

Just wanted to get the head off, so had to improvise.

Heads off, turned it over by hand...seems OK. Got some pics of the bores, do they look ok?

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

More later...

Balders172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

ello mate just a thought, the crank bolt why not weld another bolt to it and try taking it out like that?

Golf GTD Mk7

lol, issues indeed.

I painted it so its a clean surface for the wrap to go over, I was told by a few people its recommended to do so, so if water gets into the wrap when its on the car, and its sat in the wrap, it dosent start rusting the exhaust inside....

Wrap is pretty easy....wet it, start at one end, make sure you keep it tight, then use stainless ties. When it dries it gets tighter...Then i spray it with some silicone heat wrap sealant to keep all the crap out (double precaution)

ah makes sense. Knew there would be a reason. cheers mate

Bit of an update, few things started to go right again...

Drilled pilot hole on the snapped crank bolt, then bigger hole, then used winstons thread extractors which failed....Got some heavy duty extractors and it came out pretty easily :)

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

Next up, the bent stud...

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

Sorted....then cleaned up the head and the block....

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

Also picked up new cambelt, new headgasket, etc....

have done with a steel rule. cant see any light though/gaps at all in any direction, even down the gaps between the bores....

None of the white spirit had gone from the bowls when I got back...valves must be reet...

Dont know if to get it skimmed or not if its flat...mehhhh

M

mini-valver

Get a bit taken off, higher comp ratio is a bonus aswell.

just changed the head on my RT, diddnt have that skimmed and it looked flat with a steel ruler. got told by a mechanic that aslong as the head bolts have been undone in the right order it should be ok..... not a clue how true that is i know nothing...

yeah, undid them in reverse order..

Last time i got it skimmed as it was proper manky, and wanted a fresh surface for a new headgasket, but this one isnt too bad...dont know what to do..

ValverInBits

New crank bolt in the bottom end - check it turns over
Light skim (although not essential IMO)
Back together
Timed up :S!
Check it turns again
Back in the car and forget any of this ever happened

:D

yeah but still....how was it stuck and not turning over lol, thats the thing

how much is a light skim? thou wise, i can get it done tommorow easily, just weather to bother or not...

Got new crank bolt + new stud for tensioner already, along with the new belt. Got someone coming with the timing tools tommorow to time it back up....

ValverInBits

sorry mate, can't put a number on a light skim myself. Hopefully someone else can. Pretty sure you could just ask for an unspecific light skim, but then....knowing the luck this car has brought....hmmm

alien green rs133

3 thou, at a guess :D

surely the skimmer will know how much it needs off. we just give our guy them and they come back skimmed lol

daddy just told me dont bother with skim :D

Last edited:

hi mate...as its now out and ok i would be checking the clutch flywheel gearbox over in the case the problem with it not turning lies here somewhere...stuck in gear mis-alignment etc..just to be on the safe side really after all your effort..

yeah, going to time it up later, then put the clutch and box on, and see if it turns over by hand outside the car....hopefully all will be well!

TVR Cerbera

it's gonna be one of them sod's law things, didn't work, take apart, find nowt wrong, put back together and hopefully all better again

yeah 172 starter mate.

Just got back in now, engine back together with new HG...new cambelt, timed up...still wont turn over by hand, well....from the crank pulley it wont, the bolt just gets tighter instead of turning the engine over....But if someone turns the flywheel with screwdriver, and someone on the crank pulley, it turns over (pretty stiff)....