ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

not 'easily', the bolt on the crank just tightens, can move it with screwdriver on flywheel, pretty stiff but it moves (with head on and head off)....crank bolt on its own no chance, bolt will snap off again....

i turned it over with the exhaust pulley before i removed the cambelt though, and it seemed to turn over ok ish, if a bit stiff....

timed up with timing tools, i didnt do it myself

didnt take it apart as it turned over with the pulley+spanner ok before removing cambelt, and then the head....but now after this.....the engines upside down with the sump off....going to have a look at the rod bearings in the morning

Few other bits done today also....Gearbox Circlip Welded...

IMG_2382.jpg

Mainfold Wrapped, along with other bit of downpipe....

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

New headgasket, timing belt, built back up....as said above still wont turn over, so upside down and sump off...

IMG_2384.jpg

More tommorow.

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Gutted for you atm jord. Give me a shout if you need anything. I'll come over sometime and see it for myself.

Had the piston rod caps off today, looked at both sides bearings, oiled them and refitted....dont know what im definately looking for, but dosent seem to be any weird marks or scoring....the insides of the bearing were still covered in oil already, as can be seen in the pics...

Going to leave the big end caps on 1+5, and check the bearings under the caps of 2/3/4 tommorow probably, so the crank can stay in place.....but if the piston ones havent got anything wrong with them why would the crank ones was my thinking....

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

does the bottom end turn over with out the head attached easily enough...do the cams turn easily enough with no belts on..etc..
does it only get stiff when assembled as one unit...

Bottom end turns over with the head off (had no crank bolt in due to it snapping, so was using screwdriver on flywheel. It turned over multiple times, but was pretty stiff....

Cams turn fine on their own in situ, just once the belt is on and timed up, its very very very stiff to turn over by the crank pulley...

When i had the rod caps off yesterday and pushed the pistons down slightly to see the other half of the bearing, the pistons moved pretty easily, same as what my F7R did....it just seems when its all together it gets stiff...

Going to take the main caps off (well the middle 3) shortly and check those out...

yeah sounds like you might have a main fault...can't remember the torque figures for the crank only to turn..will see if i can find some..

plus if the middle three show nothing have the five off..

Cylinder 1-2-3 (from flywheel end) are all perfect, not a mark on them, re-oiled both sides of the bearings, refitted....didnt check cylinder 4 yesterday as i thought if 3 are ok the other would probably be the same....

Took the cap off rod 4, to find the bearing had moved round slightly, when i removed the other caps the bearing came off with them, this did not as it had spun round...Got them off anyway...

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

And some wierd lip...

IMG_2400.jpg

ive no idea, lol

going to take the big end caps off when I go back down there now....will see what they are like

ValverInBits

oh dear mate. Its a bit hard to tell what im looking at as im on my phone. Is that a big end bearing thats spun? Either way its going to be a new crank at least. Good luck with it jord

TVR Cerbera

oh f0xy that's exactly what happened to mine, spun bearing. rod looks ok, but you may need a new crank! you'll have to get it machined with bigger bearing to suit if the crank is ok. best start ringing round breakers to get a new secondhand crank.

It was a piston bearing that had spun, i hadnt had any of the crank ones off at that point....

but anyway....took bearing number 2 + 3 off the crank....il let the pictures do the talking...

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

And number 3, no marks whatsoever?

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

LY 182

yep spun bigend thats what i thought,,,

rod will be nackered (will need bore gauging and poss reclaiming)

(they take a layer off the flat surface of the main cap, then rebore the journal)

crank grinding then oversize bearings,, and thats if you can find them,, which i couldnt

yep spun bigend thats what i thought,,,

rod will be nackered (will need bore gauging and poss reclaiming)

(they take a layer off the flat surface of the main cap, then rebore the journal)

crank grinding then oversize bearings,, and thats if you can find them,, which i couldnt

the big ends are the ones going onto the block arent they, the rod bearing was spun, not the big end........

the bearings were still in place on the crank-to-block, just scored, they hadnt spun....

LY 182

nope, bigends are the *big ends* of the con rods,,, small ends are the piston gudeon pin.

main bearings are the ones that hold the crank to the block

ahhh right....well i took the shell/bearing out of the rod and it was the same as the rest, not scored/marked in any way, its just the internal (crank) side of the bearing....

'92 172, Lotus Elise

big end = the bigger end of the conrod :p (the top bit of the con-rod which connects to the piston is the small end)

the joints which secure the crank to the crankcase are called the mains :)

:edit: too slow :dapprove:

ValverInBits

oh not good, not good at all. Still got the phone number of the guy that sold you this?

oh not good, not good at all. Still got the phone number of the guy that sold you this?

yeah...got all the details, name, phone numbers, address, etc

the crank is now out, more scoring and i think the problem has been revealed....pics uploading now

Right....all bearings and oil pump removed...

IMG_2420.jpg

Crank scoring...

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

Crank removed...

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

The crank itself...

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

The main cap's for the crank...

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

Now the rods with the shells removed...

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

Maybe the culprit....thrust bearing falling to bits?

IMG_2473.jpg

All the crap...

IMG_2476.jpg

And finally a pic of the finished manifold and downpipe :)

IMG_2479.jpg

Chav Rocket

all the best with the resolution mate. Dont give up! surely one of you experts can give him a hand

106 GTI

Atleast you have now found the problem, best of luck with the rest of the progress

M

mini-valver

That thrust bearing is shagged! You could get a second hand crank but the rods and shells wont have the right tolerances. Yeah, it'd work but it wont be long before its back out again. Send the crank and rods to a machine shop and get them to face it and fit new shells as you'll need oversized ones. Do it properly, do it once.....