ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Skoda Fabia vRS
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

wilbur motors in st helens mate near morrisons might be able to sort that for you, nice bunch of people and we have used them for stuff at work

That thrust bearing is shagged! You could get a second hand crank but the rods and shells wont have the right tolerances. Yeah, it'd work but it wont be long before its back out again. Send the crank and rods to a machine shop and get them to face it and fit new shells as you'll need oversized ones. Do it properly, do it once.....

What could have caused that thrust bearing to go like that in the first place though?

M

mini-valver

Its for end float so they dont usually wear unless there is play in the main shells or a massive in-balance in the crank. He's cracked the sump and realised pretty quick when the oil lights come on and switched it off. Dry of oil, spun a bearing. I would think the thrust bearing is related to BE failure, not a seperate issue. Personally I'd get it all sent to a machine shop as second hand engines with no history are always gonna be a nightmare....

TVR Cerbera

Its for end float so they dont usually wear unless there is play in the main shells or a massive in-balance in the crank. He's cracked the sump and realised pretty quick when the oil lights come on and switched it off. Dry of oil, spun a bearing. I would think the thrust bearing is related to BE failure, not a seperate issue. Personally I'd get it all sent to a machine shop as second hand engines with no history are always gonna be a nightmare....

Personally i'd get my money back off the ebay seller and buy another engine.

so my options are....

1. Get crank polished, oversize bearings, let a machine shop sort them, hope its all ok...

2. Get a second hand good condition crank, a set of new standard bearings, let a machine shop sort them, and hope its all ok...

3. Get a new bottom end, which might be hard to come by on its own...

4. Get a new engine.

ValverInBits

so my options are....

1. Get crank polished, oversize bearings, let a machine shop sort them, hope its all ok...

2. Get a second hand good condition crank, a set of new standard bearings, let a machine shop sort them, and hope its all ok...

3. Get a new bottom end, which might be hard to come by on its own...

4. Get a new engine.
id, start looking for parts to do either 2,3 or 4. See whats going to be best value. You never know a cheap engine may turn up.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

i'd definatly get another crank instead of having that one reground,my mate used to work for one of the clio cup teams and he told me if they ever used to have a crank reground it never lasted long,

im just about getting tired of faffing with these f**king engines now.....but I am not giving up with it....I just want to get this car back on the road, its pissing me off being sat there...

With regards to a refund, ive emailed the seller, if I get no response il try the numbers I have for him, worst case scenario il be going down there to sort this out...

if you wana drive to berkshire, yeah.....500 mile round trip when I went last time lol

edit...basingstoke, lol

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1

That thrust bearing is shagged! You could get a second hand crank but the rods and shells wont have the right tolerances. Yeah, it'd work but it wont be long before its back out again. Send the crank and rods to a machine shop and get them to face it and fit new shells as you'll need oversized ones. Do it properly, do it once.....

:S a used crank can be used just fine, with new bearings you can check the tollerence is good quite easily.

That crank looks like it might get away with a polish if the thrust face is ok (only bit i can't see) Strange failure though

thrust face is worn to buggery i think, thats if i thinking of the right face, il take a pic now

Golf GTD Mk7

hmmm, that sucks mate. You can always try and see what he says. I'd way up your finances mate. Sounds like a second hand bottom end like Dave did is an option. Should be the cheaper option too. How much did davidemellor want for his? Think when this is all over a f0xy meet is in order.

not sure how much he wanted, but he wasnt sure if the crank was ovalled or not i dont think, which would mean it was useless.....was just for the crank anyway, id need to buy new bearings/shells also etc...

Pics of thrust bearing face (this is the side that was where the bearing had worn (along with lots of metal shavings, flywheel side one)

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

ITB'd MK1

seen a LOT worse than that. would need machining but I wouldn't scrap that crank straight off. Be aware that the block will be full of swarf in all the oil ways, and the pump will probably be shafted too. cams ok?

cams are fine, nothing wrong with them by the looks of things....

swarf in oilways, hmmm...how would that be got rid of? and any way of checking pump?

ITB'd MK1

a bearing failure like that means a FULL rebuild to me not just a repair job, so you're looking at a strip down and have everything properly cleaned first.

Oil pump, you can check clearances and look for scoring, but I'd go new once it's had bearing swarf through it whatever TBH

M

mini-valver

Exactly, full rebuild! Get the crank ground/faced with new bearings IMO. Always bettr than using mis-matched crank/rods.

TVR Cerbera

seen a LOT worse than that. would need machining but I wouldn't scrap that crank straight off. Be aware that the block will be full of swarf in all the oil ways, and the pump will probably be shafted too. cams ok?
Me too, Mine! I still have the con rod that turned blue at the big end where the bearing was spinning!

Audi TT 225 Quattro

think it may be time to start looking for a new eng(cheapest and best option imo, just make sure you see/hear this one running;) ), unless you have $$$ for a good rebuild

^^ yea aslong as you put new bearings in i dont see a prob. Here you go Jord some pics, bit crap there off my phone. If i can get hold of a large micrometer tomorrow il get the dimensions of the journals.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 34

Theres a pic of all the big ends and mains.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 42

think it may be time to start looking for a new eng(cheapest and best option imo, just make sure you see/hear this one running;) ), unless you have $$$ for a good rebuild

aye....i dont have big money for a full full rebuild after all this bad luck tbh.

If i wanted the block cleaning for swarf....means everything out as said, but if i take the pistons out it means new rings? new rings renault only arent they? got quoted 40odd +VAT per cylinder, along with crank and bearings and everything else, cheaper to buy a new engine.....?

Cheers for the pics david, would be ideal if you could get me the dimensions :)

ITB'd MK1

I thought rods were balanced with the crank and so matched?

On a standard engine? No. Even on a fully balanced 4cyl engine the rods are not balanced WITH the crank. On other cylinder arrangements the specific rod and piston weights are used and bob weights attached to the crank.

on a 4 cyl, the piston weights are matched as closely as possible, and the end to end weights and total weights of the rods are matched so they're all the same, so totally interchangeable..

Whats the chances of having to replace rings if the pistons are taken out? Or is it just a wait and see if they are knackered or not (can it be physically seen if there is damage or not?)

What sort of money am I looking at for new rings elsewhere on average if that is the case, and what sort of chemical cleaning is required....local engine job shop?

'92 172, Lotus Elise

I couldn't find anywhere (apart from reno) that could do me some F4R rings! :(

'no sir, the F4R is a limited production run by renault, so rings arent easy to get hold of. The F7R is made by Williams, who are able to supple rings easily'

ffs :dapprove:

ITB'd MK1

I couldn't find anywhere (apart from reno) that could do me some F4R rings! :(

'no sir, the F4R is a limited production run by renault, so rings arent easy to get hold of. The F7R is made by Williams, who are able to supple rings easily'

ffs :dapprove:

what a load of c**k. all of that is total b****cks "made by williams" :rolleyes: so not the same as a megane then??? i hate c***s that make this b****cks up

Skoda Fabia vRS

jord if you cant seem to find any rings, try FPS in Liverpool, the factors, id imagine they would do them

No email reply yet.....will give it till this evening and then try and ring if not....only sent it last night...

Basically had a day of research today....been to the engine place that BRUN mentioned in this thread, very helpful, said the crank should be 99.99% fine being just polished, there is no major scoring he says...

Anyway, here is some prices from todays efforts (I did it as if i was going to do a full bottom end rebuild)...

Crank Polishing - £23.00
Hone Bores - £23.00
Skim + Clean Head - £40.00
Deck + Clean Block - £40.00

New Bearings, Full Set (From Engine Place Above) - £44.45
-or-
New Bearings, Full Set (From Renault) - £85.55

Piston Rings Full Set (From Engine Place Above) - £78.00
-or-
Piston Rings Full Set (From Renault) - £173.74

Thats the sort of costs I think.....or a second hand bottom end is the other option, if I can find one.....but the more I think about it, rebuild=fresh bottom end that should work without any problems for a long time....