ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

Fair enough dude. Was it stored as a full engine or just a bare block?

block on stand no head in garage, whipped the caps off the mains and they were fine, turned it over was 100x's easier than the other...

Mate the engine numbers are on a little metal tag normally by the oil filter area.
May have been removed?
Sorry to hear about this mate chin up.

neither of the blocks ive got have this :S

M

mini-valver

I dont want to be a pescimist man but I'd be worried about a BE just stood on a stand in a garage and just chucking it straight in when you KNOW its going to be driven hard. Check the end float and get some plastigauge to check the bearing clearances. You could even chck ring gaps while its a bare block and the big ends are off, just be careful you dont snap them, lol.

if i had time, i would.....but im just about at the end of my tether with it now....il just take the chance that its going to be ok, its built back up a complete engine now anyway, cba f**king around stripping s**t down all over again....

If it is fucked, i will say yes dave, you were right, all hail dave ;) but im prepared to take the risk for now, if its fucked this time round, im probably going to scrap all this f4r stuff TBH.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, someone suggested rebuilding the other bottom end i now have, with better components, etc etc, which I am going to do over time, but I need a working car for now, fair enough if it f***s up after 6 months I dont care, but if its a week, or a day, as I said, I will agree that you were right ;)

M

mini-valver

You have the valver though? It'll probably work fine, its the difference between Bricktek and mint though, lol.

yeah I do have the valver, but its not as fun as the other to drive, and im wasting money taxing it which i had to do last month, need my other one on the road by the end of this month ideally so i can claim 5 months back....rather than having to tax both cars in april (to get the hybrid to marham)

And il have you know, bricky is still running well in another car ;)

M

mini-valver

Do Marham in the valver, lol. Dont doubt it'll run, just dont think after all this f**king about its worth scrimping the extra 150 notes or whatever it was by not checking everything is spot on before possibly having another guff engine.

Told you to keep the bricktek. Safe as houses ;)

Do Marham in the valver, lol. Dont doubt it'll run, just dont think after all this f**king about its worth scrimping the extra 150 notes or whatever it was by not checking everything is spot on before possibly having another guff engine.

Told you to keep the bricktek. Safe as houses ;)

turned out to be £175 extra was the difference to do a full rebuild of bottom end, inc rings.....but 1. this was available, 2. 5 miles down the road, 3. 172 ph2 that had 30k on it....4. was fine when checked the mains and turned over, we shall see lol

M

mini-valver

Just turning it and checking the crank looks ok isnt the best way of checking though man, lol. If it was cheap and close though, why not. Hope it works dude, really do. KNow how much of a c**t it is when things just keep going wrong!

yeah, but in my books at this stage it was adequite enough, after all the money and time wasted, and being fucked around by nobber down berkshire for the original engine....

one word sums it all up....begins with D, lol

if it dosent work, il check it properly....when i can be arsed, as il probably throw the block and shell off a cliff before then, lol

M

mini-valver

Honestly though, if it knocks, you'll hate yourself, lol. Know how you feel but when it all works, it'll be well worth it.

Danny will buy it if not.

BMW M135i

neither of the blocks ive got have this :S

Its stamped on the block on the front to the right of the oil filter, its horizontally stamped and its under part where it'll have F4R-730/2/3/8 stamped on it. Will most probably be well rusted by now.

ZX6R B1H

I hope it works jordy, If not give me a shout and i'll get my 172 written off for you and you can have the engine from that :p

hehe.

Picked up the f4r timing tools from Fred today, cheers for that.

Going to time it up tommorow now i know how to properly and then put it in on friday...

Timed up, built up, new thermostat housing on with the hole for the additional sensor in a better place.....going back in tommorow :)

build front suspension back up, loads of other bits and bobs engine wise...

then the whole interior, paint,cage,wiring,seat mounts, steering column, clocks...list goes on

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

good stuff mate always have the ups and downs but in the end itll be oh so worth it, keep up the good work.

whiteley gave it away......SIGH OF RELIEF....

th_MOV00391.jpg

th_MOV00392.jpg

quite a few niggles, but getting somewhere i hope!

bit tappy top end like, f**k knows what that is....

also got a fuel leak from the joint 172-to-valver line, meh...

runs though, only took 2 months

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

well at least its running, the minor things can be sorted out afterwards!

jordan fox! over the moon for you my friend, really am! taken its toll on my mind let alone yours!

shot gun a lift to rstuning when you get it remapped haha :)

looking forward to seeing it/you ;)

jamie