ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Re: Mk1 Hybrid Project

i used vag-com as it was the only obd adapter i could get my hands on. it only does obd2 testing though

Few more bits done today....My wishbones never came with these plates, and the balljoints used to work themselves loose in the past, so I wanted to get hold of some. I decided to take them off the blue valver, as that has williams widetrack on it (same wishbones as 172), so I can use the plates...

IMG_2628.jpg

They go here...

IMG_2631.jpg

New balljoints and ARB attached to wishbones...

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

Ready for the rest of the suspension now....

Also did a bit on the wiring, clocks working as they should be, Coolant temprature, oil pressure, oil temprature, fuel, etc....

Got a few days of tidying up to do on the wiring, but finally getting along with it now...

IMG_2623.jpg

TVR Cerbera

f0xy, how did you get the oil temp/ pressure to work on the 172, cos i really need it on mine with my setup as i can get hold of some valver guages

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

immense, are you a mechanic by trade or have you just taught yourself all this?!

f0xy, how did you get the oil temp/ pressure to work on the 172, cos i really need it on mine with my setup as i can get hold of some valver guages

yeah as matteh said, T-piece off where the oil pressure switch usually is, run the valver sender, wire back to valver dials....

IMG_1732.jpg

immense, are you a mechanic by trade or have you just taught yourself all this?!

taught myself....along with help from people on here!

wheres the oil temp?

seperate dials usually, which show oil level, temp and pressure...

i removed the 172 oil level sensor, replaced with mk1 oil level sensor that does temprature too (i think this is how it works)

im not using those though, got my own solution being sorted, will be shown in here when i get round to it

106 GTI

shame the 182 dosnt come with an oil temp gauge, il keep an eye for updates on this though

'92 172, Lotus Elise

yeh, the f4 seems a bit backward in that respect... F7 came with a proper hole for the pressure sender and the probe that goes into the sump did both temp and level (think it only does level on the F4)

even if renault didn't want to add the gauges, it could've been added into the obc somehow i reckon!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

well fair play for teachng yourself and having the guts to do it. im worried about messing up fitting some buckets when i get them!

looking "textbook" jords, good to see you on sat, though you disappeared quite quickly!

DSC00394.jpg

Williams wheels off, tyres swapped to turbines....

They are going to be powdercoated tommorow, then a set of new tyres put on them....ready to go onto the hybrid when its road-worthy :)

same satin black, just want a hard wearing finish instead of rattle cans paint job...

bloors mate is doing it...

nah mate should be fine. They were black already, just a rattle can job....but they are chipped alot now, want a hard wearing finish that dosent need constantly touching up...

£20 a wheel....there is a thread on the forum somewhere....

Im dropping the bare wheels off at bloors in the morning, said they should be done by early next week...im in no rush....

then im gona get the tyres put on at a local place with a guy i know i think....although his mate can do....tyres removed, (blasted/repaired/powdercoated), tyres refitted, balanced for £27 a wheel, 7 quid extra....

think i need to meet this friend of yours, all my paint is coming off (literally) from andy doing them. pretty fucked off, but not a lot i can do 5 months on.

jamie

320d

What tyres you going for this time then jord.

Good call on getting a new set though, best to start with a fresh set. The car will be like new.

i got 4 t1-r's a while back........hopefully get wheels back early next week...

Just writing a bit of an update for the thread at the mo, updates shortly

Been tackling the last part of the loom the past few days, getting there slowly...

IMG_2639.jpg

Also been working on a few things to get the rev counter reading properly (not half, like it currently does), tried a couple of circuits but nothing has worked as of yet...

Bit of an explination of how ive done the loom....Basically there are no wires inside, apart from whats required (clocks, stalk + connector for rear loom)...the rest (inc fusebox) are in the scuttle panel....

IMG_2648.jpg

The fusebox will be where my hand is in that pic^

Then there is a hole above the pedal box, which ive got a grommet for, where the wires go through...

IMG_2650.jpg

Anyway, more on that in the next few days...

I had a problem with one of the coolant hoses, because I dont have a heater matrix, the IN pipe that usually goes to the matrix was just bent round onto the connection for the matrix OUT pipe, so basically missing out the heater matrix pipe loop...

Because the bend was so sharp, and you cant really change the shape of standard hoses because of the way they are formed, I had to think of a new way to do it. I found a pipe that already had a 180 degree bend in it, and suprisingly was near enough the correct shape...

IMG_2653.jpg

Then used a straight 19mm coupler...

IMG_2654.jpg

Properly fitted...

IMG_2655.jpg

Also ran some new vaccum hose from the crank breather to the throttle body, as my engine was missing this pipe...

IMG_2652.jpg

Finally checked everything one last time, fitted and mounted the radiator, properly mounted the header tank, then filled the system up with renault coolant. Had to bleed the system, and left it running for quite some time to get upto temprature, etc...all is good :)

IMG_2658.jpg

More soon...

TVR Cerbera

f0xy, are you running a valver rev counter off a 172 coil pack? if reading half on scale and you have you may find they are not compatable. I'll try and explain later if you need me to

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Cool! Gonna be ready for FCS? Other than the mechanicals what needs to be done? been a long time since we heard anything about the bodywork etc?

yeah will be ready for FCS easy, it will be on the road in the next week or two.

Mechanical wise its just half a day left putting suspension/hubs/brakes back on..then can crack on with interior, painting inside/welding cage in/seat mounts/etc....

bodywork will be last of all, needs a few bits spraying, got a ph1 bootlid i want to spray and put on, and a few other bits....hopefully start getting there now!

Track valver + Ibiza FR

Good work jord not seen it all in a while. I might catch up with you this weekend or something.