ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

it dosent split into two i dont think, it just gets smaller and its the right hand one looking at it in that direction, the one next to it on the left comes from that resistor

Bumder With A Buffer

Ah right ok well if it dont and your still having trouble getting the wire to stay on that track... connect up to the little pad furthest up if you can (as you look at this picture)

DSCF2956.jpg

what are those little pads?

I was going to connect it to that originally but didnt want to damage it by doing so...

Bumder With A Buffer

On a normal PCB they would be called Via's. Its a way of getting a signal from one side of the board to the other easily. But it could also be a test point... they put these on pcb's sometimes.

interesting.....im guessing it being a test point would be a good idea, every track seems to have one at some point.......doubt they would make every track go from one side to another.....

plus, there is nothing before that, so if it does come off il solder it to that :)

Going to try it around lunchtime, hopefully itl fire into life!!

Bumder With A Buffer

Aye there would be a good idea... just make sure to tape the wire down or something so you dont pull the test point off! that'd be bad!

Fingers crossed for ya! :)

No idea....got a few options....Im unsure of this soldering to track business, as its never going to be a 'strong joint' imo.

I either pay someone to repair it.... £xx?, then get paul to flash it to standard £75+VAT.....and hopefully it may work...

I cant see it being cheap to repair it with it being so small tbh, especially considering ive attempted to do it also....

OR....I get another ECU, £60-70, then get it flashed to reset immo code by paul £75+VAT.....then fit my emulator to the 3 pins as they should be, and the PCB wont be cut.....so an un-damaged ECU...

So unsure of what to do!! Pretty pissed off tbh.

Yeah.....not far from him, his mate sprayed my old car a while ago.

Im just unsure of what to do due to the fact that if its soldered to the track, and it comes off at some point, il be back to where I am....

If the ECU clinic hadnt cut the track id be laughing now as the emulator would be soldered perfectly to the 3 pins....and it probably would be working

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

have you talked to paul about it?

im pretty sure he can sort it all out for you, ie not soldering to a track, doing it like he did mine?

give him a shout, show him the problem, after fitting the strap it's normal to glue the wire in place, or use something like non-corrosive silicon (the stuff that you don't pull a face when you sniff it.)

if its the ecu clinic thats botched it, can you not send it back to them to be re-flashed, so its unlocked with the correct map?

yeah he offered to do that, but as soon as i want it mapping, weather it be by a tuner or RSTuner unit, il be back to square one :(

Well it dosent matter, i just fixed it somehow LOL

I risked what richy22 suggested (didnt really want to) and soldered it to one of the testing points, then taped it into place....

Plugged it in, and boom......first time :)

th_MOV00422.jpg

i could of sworn i suggested that in a round-a-bout way a while back ;)

read back, i said i didnt want to risk it lol....so i ended up risking it as i was bored of waiting and it worked lol

Bumder With A Buffer

I think we all did! ;)

Lol glad it fixed it dude... You just need to tidy it up then.. like I said shame you aint closer coz id do it for ya!

Megane R26

Ace! Good to hear its running again.
Collecting myself a valver tomorrow hopefully, seein yours and whiteleys on track, i decided i need to get myself one and spare the 172 from seeing the wrong side of some armco.

yeh thats what i mean, im almost sure he (paul) cuts the track to 58, and solders the connection to the emulator directly to the immobiliser connection (on the ecu side), maybe so that if you are running key etc it doesnt try to send 2 signals to ecu for the immobiliser?

yeh yeh woteva :rolleyes:

meh!!!

richy....its soldered and taped part way down the wire to hold it in place. it seems a pretty strong joint, alot stronger than the track attempt. is there anything i can put over the soldered part to strengthen it? sealer/glue etc?!

JB, yeah whiteley said, alot more fun!! :)

haha!

Well i technically soldered it to the track still, not the ECU immob unit itself ;) but yeah, ok you were right :rasp:

Ive not driven it yet, but I can tell already the map is different to before, startup and idle are different for certain....

Will get some driving done shortly and see what a 2.0 16v map is like :)

106 GTI

Vids at the same time as testing?

Also find out about the limiter situation then

Its got the RSTuner group N file on it atm IIRC....what should the limiter be at, 7500?

7200 is standard correct?

If all is ok *touches wood* il get a few vids later

Bumder With A Buffer

RE your solder repair... My option would be to try and trace where that track goes from that test point... if it runs to an IC then solder there as it will be a lot stronger.

How thick is the wire you soldered on?

Glue might be ok but then if it doesn't stick it ain't going to do anything... Plus you might run the risk of IF the glue came off youd pull the track and pad up.

Obviously im just speculating here as I cant physically see the track etc etc.. just trying to cover all your options.

On a side note if you cant get anyone to repair it send it to me and il do iit in a few mins and send it back to ya... offers there if you want it :)

Ph1 172 + Combo van

Well done mate you must be pleased!

Looking forward to the videos:)

106 GTI

RE your solder repair... My option would be to try and trace where that track goes from that test point... if it runs to an IC then solder there as it will be a lot stronger.

How thick is the wire you soldered on?

Glue might be ok but then if it doesn't stick it ain't going to do anything... Plus you might run the risk of IF the glue came off youd pull the track and pad up.

Obviously im just speculating here as I cant physically see the track etc etc.. just trying to cover all your options.

On a side note if you cant get anyone to repair it send it to me and il do iit in a few mins and send it back to ya... offers there if you want it :)

Would a coat of glue help absorb vibrations, as once the ecu is put back together there should be not contact from other moving parts and only vibrations which could cause problems