ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

0-100mph Run 1 - 11.5sec
0-100_Run1_SpeedRPMPoly.jpg

0-100mph Run 2 - 11.2sec
0-100_Run2_SpeedRPMPoly.jpg

0-100mph Run 3 - 11.5sec
0-100_Run3_SpeedRPMPoly.jpg

0-100mph Average (11.5,11.2,11.5) - 11.4sec

You can clearly see on all 3 graphs before the 5sec marker the speed increase rapidly where the wheels are spinning in 1st :boring:

As discussed this may or may not be accurate and was just an test with more data to compare to when the limiter was sub 6k :)

And a few other interesting ones, the fastest 0-100mph time (11.2) plotted against two old logs from when the 1.4 map was on :)

0-100_CombinedRun2_IncTimes.jpg

0-100_CombinedRun3_IncTimes.jpg

Audi TT 225 Quattro

i dont understand why its recording such quick times:S a Lamborghini Gallardo does 0-100 in 11.0 sec and thats 500bhp. i surpose it does show it has improved tho which is the main thing:approve:

Audi TT 225 Quattro

i may have more power, but 130 kgs is not to be sniffed at, equivelent of about an extra 30bhp

that still leaves you with 30bhp odd more which will put you into the 13's;)

what is your best qtr mile time?

TVR Cerbera

i dont understand why its recording such quick times:S a Lamborghini Gallardo does 0-100 in 11.0 sec and thats 500bhp. i surpose it does show it has improved tho which is the main thing:approve:

It's not doing 11 second 0-100, there will be at least a 5% speedo error, but even so it will be quick. how much does the lambo weigh tho? a 200 bhp caterham 7 will piss all over a lambo to 100, because it only weighs 400 kgs! i recon f0xy's is a lot lighter than he recons!

TVR Cerbera

that still leaves you with 30bhp odd more which will put you into the 13's;)

what is your best qtr mile time?

best is 14.1, but only had one decent run and it was overheating! that was with loads of wheelspin. Have a few issues with launches, had no probs when it was standard, but now it's a toss up between wheelspin and loads of wheelspin

Going to head out later with GPS and laptop/logs on.....to see what the difference is between GPS speed and what speed the ECU is reading at various speeds, so we shall see.

Ive no idea what its going to weigh to be honest, polycarbs and cut out boot/bonnet/other bits, yet to cut out the doors and fit front polycarbs.....also the F4R engine is lighter than F7P/R

the start is iffy too, looks to be lag on the speed signal, I think you really start where rpm drops about 1 sec before you see the wheels move. You need TPS at the same time to be sure.

I have the TPS data too, 2 second job to overlay onto those...

The start is where the revs shoot up at the same time as the speed, which then drops again.....wheelspin

alien green rs133

i still thiing this thing will be pretty rapid, half the weight of a 172 with same power :D

alien green rs133

850-875 kgs?? where at?? there is nout left of car, obviously when the cage is welded in its gonna raise the weight slighty but i recon 800 or less :D

he was trying to exaggerate a point, lol.

It will be less than 850kg, they are 1000ish standard, ive saved more than 150kg easily lol.

JDM Dc2

he was trying to exaggerate a point, lol.

It will be less than 850kg, they are 1000ish standard, ive saved more than 150kg easily lol.

yeh i guessed that he was exaggerating lol, so what you hoping for then jord 800 ish...

I have the TPS data too, 2 second job to overlay onto those...

The start is where the revs shoot up at the same time as the speed, which then drops again.....wheelspin

the revs shoot up and drop when you change gear. You certainly have spin in first, and some slip in 2nd. The bit I'm talking about before the wheelspeed is where the revs increase as you open the throttle, then drop as the clutch engages. Assuming it's not just you blipping the throttle before the start... Since the revs drop it means the engine must be under load, if there is load there muct be movement. It looks like the speed signal isn't great around 0mph, you can see this in the way that the speed increases in steps as you move away - lowest speed it can measure looks like 8mph, next step ~16mph, then ~20mph

it's surprising how well the 1.4 map looks to work, the man difference seems to be the lack of revs.

the revs shoot up and drop when you change gear. You certainly have spin in first, and some slip in 2nd. The bit I'm talking about before the wheelspeed is where the revs increase as you open the throttle, then drop as the clutch engages. Assuming it's not just you blipping the throttle before the start... Since the revs drop it means the engine must be under load, if there is load there muct be movement. It looks like the speed signal isn't great around 0mph, you can see this in the way that the speed increases in steps as you move away - lowest speed it can measure looks like 8mph, next step ~16mph, then ~20mph

it's surprising how well the 1.4 map looks to work, the man difference seems to be the lack of revs.

well explained, although I do tend to give it a few revs before pulling away...

Il post up the same three graphs with throttle position overlaid shortly so we can see

Run 1 - Inc Throttle Position

0-100_Run1_SpeedRPMPolyThrottle.jpg

Run 2 - Inc Throttle Position

0-100_Run2_SpeedRPMPolyThrottle.jpg
Run 3 - Inc Throttle Position

0-100_Run3_SpeedRPMPolyThrottle.jpg

alien green rs133

on run two its clear to see you are nt using full throttle in gears 2+3 explain???

not backing off as such just not going full throttle straight away as it just spins up in 2nd mid range....

Throttle position never goes past 90% on the logs, so 90% has to be full throttle IMO. I know this because the RStuner performance analyzer only starts 'sampling' live data when you hit full throttle, then when you completely let off and it gets back to its 'idle throttle position' sampling stops....and draws you a graph...

So if i wasnt hitting full throttle, that feature wouldnt work....

Although, its hard to explain what the throttle pedal is like on this.... Like on a Mk2 you can push it nearly to the floor to that little 'stop' that there is, on mine, full throttle is halfway down the pedal travel, so its more sensitive so to speak....So if i try to ram the pedal down, it pulls pretty hard on the plastic guide for the cable....dont want to go breaking that!

Maybe make a stopper for it so you don't?

Epic project, read it from the beginning, nice to see it all coming together now.

Cheers, must have took some time!

Yeah possibly, but its only usually me that drives it, so I know not to push it hard past halfway, you can 'feel' it stop, so anyone would know not to push it past that to be honest!

you on a diet now then jord? lol! Graphs look good, will come visit in the near future aswell... can see the monahoe

TooneySonic has offered me his Shricks if his car dosent sell (so its 50/50 at the moment) as im going to put the standard items back in for him if there is no interest.

He had decat+map @ rstuning and few other bits with them in, made 192bhp....If I get them, hopefully I can get a figure around that :) and in the future after that....who knows lol

We just came across each other a few mins ago and had a quick unscientific blat up to 120 jellybeans, couldn't pull on him at all, although i did have two heavy suitcases in the boot and was two up ;) but so was jord lol

He may have gained a little in third but i was getting earache off the verbal traction control sat next to me so couldn't tell

We'll have a proper do when i get back mate, it'll be rapid if you fit my cams muhahahaha

Yeah.....im not that impressed with mine after that though tbh!!

Considering what you made at RSTuning the other week, i really should be gaining on you more i think?! If my engine is timed up right and healthy that is, the car is alot lighter lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Glad to see it's revvin now. Last time i looked at this thread it wouldnt rev past 5k? What was the fix?

11.2 to 100 is very impressive!

The problem was the ECU had been flashed with a 1.4 8v calibration file + software.....the engine in question has a 6k limiter, so it explained it.....

We think this was done by the ECU clinic when they 'decoded it' to remove the immobiliser, think they wrote the wrong files back onto the ECU! I flashed the ECU with the 172 software, and the car wouldnt run for a week due to the immobilser coming back on (ECU Clinic only do a software de-code, not hardware.....so any time its mapped or flashed the immobiliser comes back, fooking s**te!)

I ended up getting an immobiliser emulator, soldered it to the ECU inside, and it worked perfectly. Running the 172 Ph1 Grp N map on it now from fastchip/RSTuner/etc.

106 GTI

The problem was the ECU had been flashed with a 1.4 8v calibration file + software.....the engine in question has a 6k limiter, so it explained it.....

We think this was done by the ECU clinic when they 'decoded it' to remove the immobiliser, think they wrote the wrong files back onto the ECU! I flashed the ECU with the 172 software, and the car wouldnt run for a week due to the immobilser coming back on (ECU Clinic only do a software de-code, not hardware.....so any time its mapped or flashed the immobiliser comes back, fooking s**te!)

I ended up getting an immobiliser emulator, soldered it to the ECU inside, and it worked perfectly. Running the 172 Ph1 Grp N map on it now from fastchip/RSTuner/etc.

Id be on the phone then getting my money back? As youv done what they was supposed to do

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Ah. Well sorted! Whats stil got to be done to it then? I was dubious that you'd have it all done for FCS! ...

Id be on the phone then getting my money back? As youv done what they was supposed to do

I have no proof they did it as said....I have a backup of the ECU which shows it being the wrong map/software....but no proof they did it. I know they f**ked the PCB by scratching the track off, and an email with pics was sent on saturday with that, dosent answer phone on weekends.......

So il just have to see what happens!

Ah. Well sorted! Whats stil got to be done to it then? I was dubious that you'd have it all done for FCS! ...

Had a full cage sat here for 3 months, just needs welding in...... Then just general tidying up, once cage is in, interior sprayed, then turn my attention to the bodywork if i can be arsed!

Is it needing work? Arches/doors/tailgate rust free?

tailgate is freshly painted Ph1 item, painted 2-3 weeks ago.....doors are solid, drivers door is only 12 months old....drivers rear qtr 12 months old too.....

General structure/arches/doors/sills are spot on, just needs like front wings sorting (paint chipped/cracked), front and rear bumpers are a bit tatty, drivers door has a key mark etc! Not too fussed though really, might be a job over the winter...

Got Brands on 27th, FCS, Ring in July, Cadwell in Aug, Oulton in Sept....so il just have to see!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

tailgate is freshly painted Ph1 item, painted 2-3 weeks ago.....doors are solid, drivers door is only 12 months old....drivers rear qtr 12 months old too.....

General structure/arches/doors/sills are spot on, just needs like front wings sorting (paint chipped/cracked), front and rear bumpers are a bit tatty, drivers door has a key mark etc! Not too fussed though really, might be a job over the winter...

Got Brands on 27th, FCS, Ring in July, Cadwell in Aug, Oulton in Sept....so il just have to see!

Goodo! Would be nice to have it all done for the show!! Funds permitting! See you on track at oulton! :) (Assume it's the RS track day??)

'92 172, Lotus Elise

was it side by side? or was there was slipstreaming going on