ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 F4R/172'd Track Car Project [Year 3 - Engine and Chassis Rebuild]

Skoda Fabia vRS
Re: Mk1 172 Hybrid Track Car Project

i get to see it quite regular lol, although i think he might be done now for genuine parts :)

Just pushed the car home, AGAIN.

Clutch cable snapped AGAIN.

No idea how old this cable was off the blue valver (hopefully BRUN can confirm)....no idea why two have snapped FFS.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

cos they are a w**k design. I have had no end go!

genuine ones are always best and ensure the rubber seal is good and there is plenty of lube on it lol

yeh...this one was genuine renault from the valver, its lasted about 400 miles...luckily it snapped on my estate this time, so managed to push it home...

still f**king stupid though!

106 GTI

where has it snapped to?

Could you get a custom one made as I no on moto-x bikes you can get one made to length

snapped about 8 inch from the pedal end....same place as last one...

So i thought it must be rubbing and wearing through, no wear marks can be seen though looks like a clean snap which is confusing...

Ordered one from renault/BRUN, hopefully picking it up first thing in the morning if i can get a lift there...Just another thing trying to slow me down in getting the car ready for brands next wednesday ffs.

Still got to swap the master cylinder yet too!

106 GTI

Is that where it goes through the bulkhead?

Try wrapping some duc tape round the outer cover for abit more support

goes into the outer casing on the inside of the car, which is clipped through near the pedal. Then that casing goes through the bulkhead all the way to the box, where the cable comes bak out of it... Its basically snapping where that clip is for some reason, didnt look like it was rubbing or anything either :S

so much for renault cables lasting longer!

Il get some pics when I get home later...

Basically there is just a hole on the pedal box, that the cable surround/outer comes through. Then the clips are 'open' to hold it there....to release the cable you have to squeeze the two clips together and itl drop back through the hole to the engine bay side

106 GTI

If it is the clip breaking could you not put loads of tape round it to pack it out so it wouldnt pull through

not the clip breaking, thats just the general area where the internal cable is snapping, which would make you think its been rubbing....but no evidence of rubbing there!

Vw caddy tdi

From R5 tub experience oe cables are not that good quite skinny wire, imho halfords own with blue outer cover have thicker metal wire inside trust ive done a few can do them on the deck in 20-30 mins easy not. They allways snap pedal end if theres an eyelet on the pedal half moon check cables in correct normally snap where they bend on route through the bulkhead.

'92 172, Lotus Elise

how on earth are you snapping clutch cables with the soft clutch conversion :eek:

both snapped in the same place....ive got the two ends from the pedal, exact same length!

picking new cable up in the morning from renault....mehhhhh

then got to swap master cylinders and all manners of other s**t lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

FLOL! We are not meetin up with you's enroute to FCS this yr! ;) Your a liability son! ;)

Vw caddy tdi

Try the blue cables from halfrauds instead of renault rubish trust are bit stronger/thicker and cheaper, if they still make same type. The outer plastic covering was light blue same colour as your seats. But if previous cables were new and snaped so soon id say you have prob with pedal position/mechanism or cable angle/route out of bulk head. Sayin that m8 with williams had no end of trouble with cables worse than my r5 actually poor design I guess too. Gota try and keep bends in cable slight and to a minimum near impossible I no.

Last edited:

1st cable was aftermarket (white and blue outer, maybe the type your on about)....that had 100k on it at least, and snapped

2nd cable was renault, no idea on age, 50k maybe....no idea tho, took it off my other valver...

Also, i bet if i went to halfrauds they wouldnt have it in stock there and then...bank holiday weekend....so would be looking at them ordering on tuesday for delivery wednesday.....im at brands hatch on wednesday, leaving tuesday afternoon! :(

different length iirc....BRUNs ordered me in a valver one anyway, half the price of a 172 one! gona try and route it with no sharp bends, hopefully will last!

ITB'd 182...

should get another just incase

Especialy for long trips/track days matey :)

Vw caddy tdi

Id say I used to get aprox double the milage out blue cables too. Know what you mean tho whatevers easiest rite pain cables snaping. My 5 days are few years ago now and haulfrauds in town always seemed to have in stock(walking distance!) Worse is you either hear it fraying and know its gona snap any sec! or you change gear and the pedal dosent come back up wtf!? Hope you sort it:) carrying a spare not a bad idea.

TVR Cerbera

Anyway f0xy, stop being a girl, you can still drive it with no clutch, start it in gear, and balance the throttle.......

i need this box to last until after fcs at least....the jb3's are w**k as they are, diff circlips FTL

my other JB3 has a bolt in diff though, just not swapping it yet, brakes are more important ;)

TVR Cerbera

i need this box to last until after fcs at least....the jb3's are w**k as they are, diff circlips FTL

my other JB3 has a bolt in diff though, just not swapping it yet, brakes are more important ;)

learn how to drive and don't crunch the gears then :rasp:

BMW M5 & E36

learn how to drive and don't crunch the gears then :rasp:

Hi Daz

31474.jpg

Woooo finally I can say im happy to drive the car for once :D

Up at renault this morning, new clutch cable £20, fitted and spot on.....

Then down to the scrap yard, non-abs master cylinder from an old 1.4 clio, £5...Fitted to mine after a bit of effort in the small space available, bled it all through again with fresh fluid....brakes are spot on, absoultely perfect! So it was the master cylinder causing my pedal issues...

I had a look down the two seals where the resovouir sits on top, and the old one had all crap clogging up the holes and was going rusty inside! New one was fresh and clean :)

I got round to setting the top mounts + suspension up yesterday, less camber and raised it slightly at the front, spot on now both sides the same....Then took it to get it tracked, drives perfectly true now, no pulling or clunking for once...

Just been out for a drive.....at last im happy with how it drives....*sigh of relief* :D

Last edited: