ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Clio V6 or VX220 Turbo

If all anyone is concerned about is performance per pound then go buy an old Cossie/scoobie and boot the power up to 400bhp.....very cheap and lots pf power.....the same as all the other 1000s and 1000s of old cossies and scoobie out there......;)

performance per pound was not one of my critera when buying my V6 255.

Dont get me wrong, I will at some point increase the power, but bhp/£ was not a consideration.

Lets let face it if bhp per £ was all anyone thuoght when buying a car then nobody would buy an Aston Martin, Ferrari or Porche....;) because you can get more power for cheaper price somewhere else....

Simon.

When saying “performance” I wasn’t thinking about BHP only – clearly there’s a lot more to think about than what can be unleashed by your right foot (sorry, perhaps my use of words/explanation could have been better).

My view is that as a drivers “package” it just isn’t up there, particularly when you view it in the context of price and the alternatives. That said, of course it depends on what you want from your car – there’s no doubt it offers a good compromise for some.

Well as a drivers "package", you should read EVO mags review of the V6 255.

But yeah if you are on a tight buget then best buy one of the thousands of Scoobies around at the mo and mod it up a little.....Not my "cup of tea" though....lol

thought it wouldnt be long before it turned into a V6 bashing tread again.....what CLIO do you have btw?????

Simon.

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 21 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Simo on 21 January 2005

I had the same decision. I went with the V6 and I love it.

If you want a trully fast stripped out trackday car go for a Radical or, as I did, a Westfield XTR2. No VX will keep up woth that.:devilish:
Simo, why did you go with the Westfield intead of the Radical?

I saw a Radical thrashing about in Central Milton Keynes the other day - that was funny, god knows what the guy was doing - shopping? ;)
Price. The Radical is the ultimate trackday toy, but they are quite expensive.

The Westy is so close in performance youd never notice the distance on a trackday. On a timed lap. perhaps. Plus the Westy can be modded very easily and reasonable cheaply as well.

Driving them both I found the Westy more usable, plus Ive had experience with Westfiled before building an 1800 a few years ago.

E91 M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by SimonV6 on 24 January 2005

But yeah if you are on a tight buget then best buy one of the thousands of Scoobies around at the mo and mod it up a little.....Not my "cup of tea" though....lol
Oh... Harro? If you are on a tight budget, you buy a mk1 V6...dont pretend them dont exist - because they do, and they kick ass, oh yeah!

I was going on about Scoobies because of his name, he must be one of the millions Scoobies owners out there.....I must see 10 a day...even my bro has a 2003 WRX, but he wants an new sti one because he cant keep up with my V6 in his car...lol

Hate to tell him that the new sti (265bhp model) has the same power to weight as a V6 255 and he wont mod...lol.... where as I will mod my car over time, but I may now wait another 2 years to keep hold of my Warranty...

Simon.

Clio 200 Cup packed

Quote: Originally posted by Mrdemon on 23 January 2005

<SCRIPT language=javascript> if you can drive and want to drive fast the VXT has afew short comings,

Spend 5k on the bugger though and you will have a 911 turbo beating car :).

the thing unders steers at speed on track big time, but if you talk to thorny at VX220.org he will help you fix the problems.

all you need is the AMD kit to about 260 BHP, new suspension, and new wheels tyre combo, if you are happy with the speed just fit sus and wheels.

As for VX220 and LOtus being hair dressers cars how about grow up,

Hair dressers buy Z4s we all know this.

If you want a spin in what a vauxhall will handle like with new sus and wheels i can take you out in my Lotus if you wanna drive to Leicester.

As i have the wheels and sus set up on it either that or you can buy mine :) for 18.5k i have spent over 33k on it.

http://www.s2elise.co.uk/eliseweb/frontside.jpg

Thats fookin mint mate!!!

As im comfortable with my (hetero)sexualality, id dress as much hair as you want for a spin in that!

Quote: Originally posted by SimonV6 on 24 January 2005

I was going on about Scoobies because of his name, he must be one of the millions Scoobies owners out there.....I must see 10 a day...even my bro has a 2003 WRX, but he wants an new sti one because he cant keep up with my V6 in his car...lol

Hate to tell him that the new sti (265bhp model) has the same power to weight as a V6 255 and he wont mod...lol.... where as I will mod my car over time, but I may now wait another 2 years to keep hold of my Warranty...

Simon.
No, I dont own a Scooby (not my cup of tea either !) - Im running a 53 Cup and love the point-and-squirt B-road fun it offers.

Ive been considering the next step (£20k max) and V6 and VXT were firmly in the frame, but I wanted something completely different (had no end of hot hatch toys and fancy a roadster), slightly biased towards track action as an "out-of-the-box" package and offering good return per £ invested on engine tweaks. My comments were made on that basis - Im not seeking to "diss" the V6, just chuck in my personal thoughts as Ive a similar dilemma to the guy who started this thread - although clearly our priorities/requirements may differ.

Well if track car is what you want then get the little Vauxhall turbo...plus I agree, its doesnt take much money to up the power on a turbo car.... :)

Why are you called "Scooby stu", if you dont like Scoobies??

Simon.

Scooby doo i gess!

VX mate, vauxhalls are brilliant cars and the engins can take a beating! I know becuase i have owned one! built to last!

Love my clio tho ;)

Honda NSX.

The V6 is all shout and no clout, the VX is a boring choice..and they both understeer.

You could pick up an NSX for and fit Type-R suspension for under £20k. In a recent Autocar they didnt do an NSX-R Vs. new 911 test because it would of been too unfair on the Porsche, and yet no one buys the Honda!

Somebody listen..

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 24 January 2005

Honda NSX.

The V6 is all shout and no clout, the VX is a boring choice..and they both understeer.

You could pick up an NSX for and fit Type-R suspension for under £20k. In a recent Autocar they didnt do an NSX-R Vs. new 911 test because it would of been too unfair on the Porsche, and yet no one buys the Honda!

Somebody listen..

-Rob

Well hell if we are talking old second hand cars then the skys the limit...;)

Simon.

Well, a road car which is a genuinely decent on track isnt that common for £20k is it? I could probably give a reason for everything being crap besides the NSX anyway..

-Rob

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 24 January 2005

Honda NSX.

Somebody listen..

-Rob
Sorry mate you must have missed the opening line of the thread.

V6..........OR............VXTurbo.

One or the other. Not early nineties Jap car. Why not have a 993 RS?

Because its not a V6 or a VX.:)