ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 Clio Dynamique S Project - midlands - coilovered - MASSIVELY PIC HEAVY!

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
Hi guys,

I first started snooping around cliosport.net at age 16, knowing I definitely wanted a mk3 for when I could drive. Having been inspired by the likes of 'biohzrd' and 'sofaboy' I had made a list of the mods I hoped to do:)

August 2011: Travelled 2 hours up to manchester with my dad and uncle in the hope to find my perfect car, i'd seen two mk3 clio's previously to this one, one black, one silver, both being the dynamique S model I hoped i'd be able to get. The two i'd viewed previously were sheds in my opinion, the paint was in dreadful condition and I didn't think it'd been cared for at all. So, after arriving in Manchester, walking round the car for ages being the perfectionist that I am, I asked my dad to test-drive it as quite honestly, I didn't think it got much better than this! A few hours later, this was my first car:

photo_zpsa7c29203.jpg

This is the earliest photo of my car i've got but tbh the modding started pretty quickly!
I bought it as a 2006 graphite grey clio 1.4 dynamique S (98bhp)
As you can see from the pic, i've got my pressed private plate on and 197 grille - just one week after purchase, i was keen;)

Next came a 'Renault Sport' steering wheel trim, followed shortly after by some 'Renault Sport' mats which to this day still look like new..maybe something to do with me meticulously cleaning my car every week without fail!

photo1_zps020ab495.jpg

photo2_zps3d190dbc.jpg

I was becoming happier with how the inside of my car looked so decided a full de-tango was needed!
In went the silver vision indicators, nightbreaker plus headlight bulbs and SMD LED ice blue side lights and out went the fried egg bubls!

Rear Before:
photo1_zps697b9ca0.jpg

Rear After:
photo2_zps462e4589.jpg

Front Before:
photo3_zps499e3f0d.jpg

Front After:
photo4_zpse91bf618.jpg

I was much happier with how my car looked and to this day I always drive around with my side lights on, just because quite honestly, I think they look great:)

Next up came the stubby aerial and cliosport sticker
photo_zps43ef39cd.jpg

Summer was fast approaching and i'd made the decision that I really wanted some Heko's!
photo1_zpsb2821428.jpg

photo2_zpsef71dac3.jpg

Right, this is the stage where my car changed for the best:

AP coilovers, custom rear springs (lower than standard AP springs) and 20mm Eibach hub-centric spacer's all round:)

This is how she sat as soon as they'd been fitted, obviously they hadn't settled yet but I absolutely loved it, it handles like a dream, isn't too rigid, doesn't drive like a boat and there's now zero body role, success!
photo-4.jpg

Next came the 197 bullets, I'd wanted some of these for a while, found a pair on eBay locally and snapped them up!
At the same time, a good friend was selling his mk3 and had wrapped his renault centre cap diamonds black, we swapped centre caps and I liked the look of the black, I think it complements the silver:)
photo1_zps96a6009f.jpg

photo2_zpscdd9d2a0.jpg

photo4_zpsf4fb0dab.jpg

The car was de-badged in the first week of me owning her but unfortunately I didn't get a picture till now, no more 'CLIO' and no more 'Renault' One of the most simple but most effective mods!
photo2_zpsd5fcc364.jpg

Next came the audio:
Sony BT2700 head-unit
Pioneer 13cm component front speakers hidden behind the standard grills and tweeters which I wanted to be shown as I love the look of them:) The front's are amped on one amp and i've got a second amp running my JBL 12" subwoofer at around 270watt's RMS. Not ridicuous, not chavvy, just adds to the music:)
photo3_zps41ff96b1.jpg

photo5_zps302d18b4.jpg

photo4_zpse17c8710.jpg

So thats all the mods i've completed so far, I don't think thats too bad considering i'm 18 and 15 months into ownership:) She's currently on 58k miles, recently had a cam-belt change and will have anything she asks for completed by Fred and Zoltan at BTM who are the BEST mechanic's I have ever met!

A few more pics:)

The poor clio getting pushed around by my dad's BMW's!
photo-3.jpg

Absolutely love how my car is at the moment, the next mods i'm considering are:
- Lime green wrapping the black renault wheel centre cap diamonds
- Possibly painting my callipers lime green too - just to stand out:)
- The rear adjuster cups are definitely coming out in the coming month as the weather improves so the back will drop another 2-3cm and i'll probably wind the front down another few coils:)
photo1_zps62d2f9bc.jpg

A few more pics after her frequent polish:)
photo4_zpsfad8768e.jpg

photo3_zpse53e6eb1.jpg

photo2_zps996916b0.jpg

And lastly: A picture with my best mates cars - Couldn't have completed anywhere near as many mods without the owner's of these two cars, Dale and Kieran, Cheers guys!
photo1_zps95dcaaa2.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my project thread to date (01/02/2013)

Please feel free to comment and offer any suggestions on what to do next!

I will be frequently updating this thread with any new mods:)

Appologies for the naff quality pictures - iPhone 4S!

Cheers,
Tom.

Arctic 182FF
That looks quality! Every modification you've done has been a good choice in my opinion. If I was you I wouldn't let anything lime green anywhere near it haha, I'd probably spray the front and rear diamonds black to match the wheel diamonds and then leave it as is! Looks really unassuming and yet ace at the same time. Much better than your friends' cars I think. The only other I might do if I were you would be to get some new alloys or paint your current ones black. But there's certainly nothing wrong with it as it is. Well done for not going chavy, usually everyone does to start with atleast (me included :eek:)

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
Cheers dude, really glad you like it:) Haha, was a wild idea because at the moment i'm not sure what to do next, I love it but need to be careful not to ruin it like you say haha!
I like the idea of spraying the front and rear diamonds, tbh my wheels could do with a refurb anyway, may get a friend to photoshop my wheels black and see what i think:)
Thanks again haha!

Arctic 182FF
Haha well it's your car so you can do whatever you want with it, you have no reason to listen to me :p I just think if you did that then you may end up looking like your mate's Fiesta which just looks a bit tacky to me. I do see your dilemma with wondering what to do next since it's pretty much perfect now! Maybe some other Mk3 owners could give you some ideas as I don't know anything about mk3s since i have a mk2 ph2. However, the back end of a mk3 has always looked a bit plain to me, are there any spoiler upgrades you can get? I think i remember seeing someone who had a ktec sprint spoiler that looked good. Just a thought. Or you could just enjoy your car since it's by far the best of all your mates haha

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
Haha:p
I forgot to mention, it's induction kitted which despite being just 98bhp 1.4, gives it a nice purrr, by all means it doesn't increase power, but makes it stand out from other mk3's, doesn't sound chavvy at all and i'm glad i bought it!
Also forgot to mention, i'm on the look out for some 197/200 front+rear seats + door cards, i'd love to have the chunkier seats:)

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Looks very very tidy. Please do not ruin it by adding Barry Boys lime green, in my opinion of course.

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
Bensambrook don't worry I wont, definitely realised it's a very bad idea!:)

Cheers Chaz, really appreciate your comment mate:)
The 20mm spacers make it sit perfectly, I can still make it over speed bumps at 15-20mph...just!;)
Thats how she sits:
photo_zps8d83c70f.jpg

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
I frickin love this! There isn't one mod you've done so far that doesn't look right. It sits beautifully and I love the colour! I told myself I wasn't going to mod my mk3 and save for a sport but after seeing threads like this I want to get out there and mod!

The headlights you have, are they just the standard ones?

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
Never thought I'd get this much love for my clio! So glad you love it dan, I've took so much time to work out precisely which mod to do and I'm glad you think I've done the right ones:)
my headlights are the projectors which come with the Dynamique S model, they're different to the reflectors which are standard on the Dynamique models. Mine have a grey strip in them and have project lenses and also the cornering beam where an extra bulb comes on when the steering wheel is turned more than a quarter turn, hope this helps!

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Never thought I'd get this much love for my clio! So glad you love it dan, I've took so much time to work out precisely which mod to do and I'm glad you think I've done the right ones:)
my headlights are the projectors which come with the Dynamique S model, they're different to the reflectors which are standard on the Dynamique models. Mine have a grey strip in them and have project lenses and also the cornering beam where an extra bulb comes on when the steering wheel is turned more than a quarter turn, hope this helps!

I think you'll find a lot of love for it on here :) and I thought the headlights were projectors look at lot different to mine, didn't realise the dynamique s models came with them.

and as for the 197/200 seats keep an eye on the for sale section on 197.net I managed to get a RS grill off there earlier this week. Might be something come up somewhere down the line :)

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
I believe the Dynamique S and SX models were the ones to come with the grey tinted projectors, you can retrofit them to yours though:) cheers dude!
ooh thanks mate, I'll sign up and keep my eyes peeled, I'd love to get a full 197/200 seat + door card set-up, would perfect my car:) recaro's are off the cards, can't justify £750+ on seats:p

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
Thanks Ali:) glad you like it, I'll definitely consider leaving it now, apart from 197/200 seats/door cards I see nothing else I want to do!

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
They're called 'canasta' alloys and are standard on the Dynamique S models:)

to cant find the exact link but they're 16 SMD LED 501 T10 bulbs, you'll find plenty on eBay for around £1-5!

Clio III Dynamique
I can confirm the Canasta alloys are fine on normal Dynamiques, they were standard on my facelift and I believe we're standard on prefacelifts Dynamiques from 08 onwards.

ps Tom what is that stubby aerial you've got and where'd you get it from?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I really like this too. Looks nice and clean.

Please don't do too much to it and ruin what you've already achieved!

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
Thanks to all of you who commented, so glad you like it! I won't be making any quick decisions on what to do next, I completely understand what your saying Daniel and will make sure it only keeps going in the right direction:)
Not sure where is cheap for coilies at the moment but I'd message ksykes if I were you as he's just bought some AP's and I think he got a deal:)

Dynamique S TCE
As you already know I've got a big soft spot for your car and I'm afraid mine will hopefully end up looking rather similar! Do you know off the top of your head what tyres you have please? Brand model and size?

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
My aerial is off eBay, want me to try and link you dude?:)
thanks George, really glad you like it mate!:)
if anyone wants to offer any suggestions as to what they think I should do next feel free!

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=321065848787&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=79682101808

this is the aerial I bought, hope the link works, I'm on my iPhone!:)

if not, type: 'renault stubby aerial' into eBay, the seller is called '6n2_gti' you can see his name wrote across the picture of the item in the search results. As for my custom rears, i cant remember how much they were but i'd say it drops it another 1-2cm on the back, but thats just at a guess, definitely makes a difference though, bare in mind in my pics I still have my rear adjuster cup in, I'll put I pic up once this is removed, you'll certainly see the difference!:)

Any more questions just ask!:)

Superleggera'd MK3
Just sent a message to coilsprings regarding shorter springs but havent got a clue what size im after so i look like a bit of a mong :/ maybe if i just take out the adjuster on the rear as im gonna want it sitting as low as possible there anyway lol. That should drop it another 1cm for sure?

MK3 1.4 dynamique s
Tell you what dude, when I take my adjusters out (later this month or into next - weather depending) ill pic the customs alongside the standard AP rear springs & try and send you pics of any writing/lettering/measurements on them:) but yes, the adjuster will make a very nice difference! When are you getting your AP's on?

Superleggera'd MK3
Who rated this thread 5 star lol i sure didnt ;) ......bet it was you tom!

Yeah that would be brilliant if you could do that mate, very helpful. Im thinking of maybe getting the springs the same size but slightly softer, then it should compress a little more?? Not sure how that would handle though? Tbh, might just pop the coils on, take adjuster off the rear so its sitting as low on rear as possible and see how it sits. Then i can see how much it needs spaced? Also, havent got a clue of the width and et of my wheels so its all guess work until i have them both fitted which will hopefully be next saturday....fingers crossed

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Looks really good mate, I think lime green would ruin the subtle look you have. Much like yourself I really liked Bio's old clio I remember following it on night on a meet and waiting for it to rip up cats eyes from the road it was that low.

Superleggera'd MK3
lol i was just re-reading bio's and paulbags old threads (bored at work).....Did love the stance Bio had towards the end before he sold it. Would have loved to have seen some different wheel on it though