ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mod 172 or Move To 182 - You'd Do ?

R

rich[182]

Got mint Nov 53' silver FF 172, standard, FSH, 36k service @ GDI last week + aux belt

Planned some mods (upwards of £1.5k) but seen a few 182's with cup packs, less than 9k miles for between £8.9k and £9.6k with 12-18mths warranty left

Private sale 172 and private buy 182, what should I realistically have to make up ? About £2.5k sound right ?

I love my 172, can't afford a 197, not interested in anything else and thinking about out of warranty come november

It's just my mods are partly synth mods anyway (splitter, 182 cup rear roof spoiler, 182 anthracite alloys with 205's, twin zorst tailpipes) part of me thinks why spend £1.5k mods when I could pay £2.5k-ish to change

Help !

I got rid of my 172 with mods (performance and handling, not cosmetic) for a 182 with cup packs….I wish I’d kept the 172, and to get them to do anything under warranty is like swimming through glue (I would imagine!), so that’s not really a good selling point!!

But if it’s just he looks and a newer car that you want, then go for it. The best way to find out what you want, is to go and drive a 182.

Focus ST
In my opinion, go for the 182.

Nothing looks quite right on a another car (like the 172) with another models bits and bobs on. Like a 172 with a 182 exhaust.

Just my opinion!!!

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
i wouldnt shell out another 2k for a 182. There isnt enough difference between the cars.
Get a set of H&Rs or Ledas on your 172...the difference is staggering.
Then call it a day as you wont get serious power from the clio without spending mega £££

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Ive never thought about upgrading my 172. Its exactly what i want out of a car and for what ive done to it compared to how much ive actually spent i think ive done quite well!

MINI JCW
If your planning on spending on £1500 making a 172 like a 182 then just buy a 182, for the £1000 extra you get a newcar car porbably less miles and more warranty!

Scirocco GT 210
The only reason I'd personally get a 182 to replace a 172 is because it'd be newer and have less miles. I don't see the 182 as a higher spec model or an upgrade personally, there just isn't enough differences between the cars.

tiTTy & SV650
defo dont see the point in swapping mk2 172 for a 182, if nything I'd swap for a mk1 172 to save some cash and still get the same sorta performance.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
rory182 said:
defo dont see the point in swapping mk2 172 for a 182, if nything I'd swap for a mk1 172 to save some cash and still get the same sorta performance.

The same performance?? Ever heard the term ph-Quick??!! ;)

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
keep your 172, spend the cash on something different. the 182 will prob depreciate more than the 172 now so you will end up losing more money. Like people have said the difference is minimal

Lionel Richie
sell your current car, don't buy a 182, buy a mk1 172 instead = the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Elise/VX220/R26
put the 2.5k into coilovers and some big brakes and a bit of tuning and you'll whip a 182, not really a worthwhile swap unless your plate chasing there little difference between the two cars

FredYozzasport said:
sell your current car, don't buy a 182, buy a mk1 172 instead = the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
You need to sleep with more women/men (whicher you want).

I'd keep the 172 personally and 15's ialooys and track days/hols/house or Maybe Leda coilovers.

R

rich[182]

Thanks guys
I dont see a 172 to 182 as an upgrade either tbh, It's basically that I much prefer the Cup anthracite alloys and moreso a newer car, upwards of another years warranty and sub 10k miles as opposed to my 36k miles, It'd prob cost me an extra £1k to £1.5k to get that as opposed to pouring £ into mods on my 172 which I'm assuming I'd never get back anyway

I may compromise, maybe pickup some 2nd hand 182 anthracites circa £450, sell my 172's for a decent sum, then get front splitter, cup rear spoiler from breakers, Eibach sportlines and a custom zorst, all lot maybe £850ish

Clio 172 mk2
If you've got a good 172 and it runs well I'd stick with it.

I don't think the extra 10bhp of the 182 would make a massive amount of difference in everyday road driving conditions.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
bit like me this.... i would like a black gold 182 (cup packed) on H&R's... BUT, every stock 172/ 182 i have come across i have the legs on (overtaken both and yes they were trying as the 182 owner flagged me down asking what i'd done lol)!

so i'm gonna probably keep mine for now, but will probably change round xmas time. That will only be because of miles on my cup though

only problem then will be that the 182 will be slower :(

R

rich[182]

gt_gaz said:
bit like me this.... i would like a black gold 182 (cup packed) on H&R's... BUT, every stock 172/ 182 i have come across i have the legs on (overtaken both and yes they were trying as the 182 owner flagged me down asking what i'd done lol)!

so i'm gonna probably keep mine for now, but will probably change round xmas time. That will only be because of miles on my cup though

^ I can relate to your first point, Think I've got a good-un (tempts fate and regrets saying that !)

tiTTy & SV650
if u want a good in buy a high mileage one... its down to running in more than anything surely?

I can see your point - im getting worried as will have no warranty as of October but think I am going to extend it through renault - If you speak to the finance person in a Renault dealership (i know cardiff renault has one) they can sort it for you - think she quoted me £200 for the year which aint bad considering I have had an oil leak from my rocker cover recently which would have cost me about £800 to repair but cost nothing coz of the warranty.
I would like a 182 as well especially with recaros but am happy with my 172 now - there are a few nice additions but also a few crappy ones - the silver seat belts are turd - my wife has them in her clio and they are now stinking within 1 year so would not like to see a set on a 5 year old car! prefer the seats in a 172 without the white dots on them - a lot more suspension upgrades available for 172, upgraded exhaust is a lot cheaper than a 182 but as you said you get spoliers etc but I quite like having a 172 with the cup spoliers on it - not many other mods I could have made to the outside otherwise which would have been a bit boring (but cheaper). Always second hand 182 manifolds on ebay for sale, so id get

stick with 172 then:

182 manifold, (second hand approx £150 - £200)
sports cat or decat (£300 for sprts cat - approx £120 for decat)
stainless exhaust (preferably longlife, H&S or Yozzasports) Approx £300
Inlet manifold/plenham match, £170 angelworks
Air filter (from £40-£400 depending what you go for)
Chip reflash - £300 approx

so engine wise a total of approx £1200

Then cup spolier £100 on ebay plus approx £60 to paint
Cup Splitter £50 £100 on ebay

And if you have any left get some brembo high carbon discs and green stuff pads £120

Should be better than most 182's then
but those are just my opinions!

nice 1 Edde - more pricey than I was quoted though still might be worth a look though - Ill have a word with the girl in renault cardiff!

R

rich[182]

This warranty extension seems a good idea, gonna contact dealer that I bought car from this week, hope they don't get arsey about the fact my 36k service was done at GDI (even though they followed the service, used genuine parts and are vat registered + book stamped)
tbh I may even take 1 year out before november even if I think I may sell the 172 as it will be more appealing to a buyer if they know there getting a 172 with a whole years renault warranty

gt_gaz said:

So what have you done Gaz??

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
Don't forget that the insurance on a modified 172 will be significantly more than the insurance on a standard 182.

The resale value of the 172 would also be compromised by the mods (unless you put it back to standard of course).

Steve

depend what mods you have done - I would expect mine to be worth as much if not a little bit more than a standard 172. Plus my insurance was as cheap with Adrian Flux with loads of mods as it was standard with most companies

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
trailerparktrev said:
So what have you done Gaz??

plenum, and inlets matched, itg panel filter (uprated feeds) GRP N ecu, decat, and cat back exhaust..... you'd be suprised ;)

R

rich[182]

Right, have had someone offer me £7.2k and I know of several 182's with both cup packs, 1 owner, sub 10k miles with between 15-20 months warranty left for circa £9.2k/£9.4k

For reasons I can't go into, basically If I swap cars (as opposed to modding mine) I can find the £2k to cover the £2k shortfall, ending up with a car with nearly a quarter of the mileage of my 172 and well over a years more warranty on what I have today, plus no MOT for 18+ months, plus the anthracites I love
Soooooooooooo tempted tbh

It's difficult cos the car runs like a dream and compared to some horror stories on here, I've always thought I've got a good-un, could get a 182 and get a bad-un ! Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Tyres & brakes dont need anything doing for ages, just had 36k service inc aux belt, just seems a logical time to move on.............

Last edited by a moderator: