ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 4

Megane 250
Best looking MX5 I have seen! Cant help but think it would look cleaner with no rear badges/stickers and them vents/iserts that ive seen on a few mx5s where the sidelights are.

Makes me want an MX5.

Cheers Jon! None planned for now, just concentrating on getting everything sorted currently, like I say might be towards winter again when it's cheap! Spending all this money on turbo bits means sacrificing track time unfortunately!

Megane 250
Out of interest, is it cheap to turbo these? seems a common thing to do on them, Or is it just that they are an ideal base for the conversion?

Out of interest, is it cheap to turbo these? seems a common thing to do on them, Or is it just that they are an ideal base for the conversion?

Cheaper than a Clio that's for sure!

You could probably do it on the cheap for just over a grand using second hand parts and stuff. Only thing second hand on mine will be the turbo and the ecu is around 6 months old. Everything else will be new, intercooler, injectors, manifold, clutch etc.

Some more taken earlier on today. So pleased with this thing!

18278624591_05b86f0ccd_c.jpg

18089499600_e9e10696e3_c.jpg

18089499960_a33bba2d82_c.jpg

18273434552_b277f91920_c.jpg

18091578589_63f4106126_c.jpg

18273434092_999afcfcef_c.jpg

18277233485_fd4556a81d_c.jpg

18089419878_d6dbe9dc2d_c.jpg

Hit a slight snag this weekend. Was due to remove the engine and gearbox out of my silver car to attach to the 6 speed ready to put into the blue car (it's had a load of maintenance work recently - belts, waterpump, flywheel, clutch etc). Unfortunately I got off to a bad start when the blue car fell off my axle stands while trying to jack it up and fell on my foot. Fortunately not real damage done, exhaust has a bit of a dent in it but you can't see it - even my foot is fine, if a little sore!
Anyway, the main issue I've run into is that the diff appears to have given up the ghost. Think I first noticed the issue back in Feb/March when I last did Oulton park, but there's quite a loud knocking noise when engaging the clutch/coming on and off the power. Had a wiggle around this afternoon and it appears to have properly gone.

Annoying. This is how it should be (on the silver car):

Could be a simple fix as there's a huge nut between the prop and the diff, could be as simple as tightening that up. If not, I'll just have to switch the diff from the silver car to the blue car and source another one at a later date for the silver car. We'll see. Had enough for today though!

I'll leave you all with a bonus XXX snowfoam pic
18496185806_50c3bf1b66_c.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
That diff isn't fucked.

My old open one was fucked.

And by fucked I mean the casing disappeared in a launch, there's still bits of it in the hedge on naff slack....

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Lol! What's happened to it then? It's making horrific noises and it's bloody horrible to drive!
Well it's fucked, just not proper fucked.

Just put a Torsen in it and be done.

Although if you try to drift round the mount and hit the curb down from select and save and ram the drive shaft through it, you'll f**k a Torsen too.

Lol that is a torsen! That's why I'm confused...

Going to take the prop off at the weekend and check that big nut. Could fix it apparently.

43257d1336770343-2002-3-9-lsd-differential-torsendx4.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it wasn't the giant nut. So out came the diff and in went the one from my silver car. All sorted now. Took my weekend up though annoyingly.

Old one removed
18175528944_4d9b49e332_z.jpg

New one ready to go
18781998086_83526052e6_c.jpg

Back in and braced up. Managed to fix an exhaust leak too while I was at it.
18187609873_503c46f456_c.jpg

Great success.

Not a huge update, it's quite a bit better with the diff swapped out. Still not perfect, but it's much better! Went out for a blast yesterday and took the roof off it for the first time in ages. One thing about running solid roof mounts is that you can't put the soft top up at all. It's literally impossible, so I'm going to have to re-think that... Car's performing great currently - the map appears quite rich in places, but it goes well enough. Last few tanks have seen 22, 24 and 26mpg so I might have to spend a bit more time with the laptop. It does pops and bangs and fire though /child. It constantly eggs you on, and tbh it really makes me drive like a penis - but it's so addictive!

19161609781_c0bf639f27_c.jpg

18537517943_501aa74209_c.jpg

18537518333_c192362237_c.jpg

19131970646_776ac110c8_c.jpg

Unfortunately, I think I've made the decision to postpone the turbo stuff until next year - various reasons mean it's just not going to happen this year... but I do still have those throttle bodies lying around. I'm also going to be buying a new steering wheel, I've really gone off the Nardi and dished wheels in general TBH. Also needs a new radio, some extended rear studs and new wheel nuts. Little things all add up! It's getting there though. Really have to keep fighting off thoughts of buying other cars though - I do it far too often, so I'm determined to stick with this one!

Thanks chaps!
Yesterday was a long one. I've had the silver car sitting on my drive for a while now with a really healthy engine - lightened flywheel, new cambelt, water pump, removed A/C, fresh gaskets etc so decided to swap them over and at the same time get the six speed in the blue car.

18646918693_a01e954cf9_b.jpg

19081312879_5076e2629c_b.jpg

Got them mostly in place just needs a bit of wiggling to get the engine mounts in properly and gearbox on the ppf. Not bad for a days work. I'll finish the swap off on Thursday. Kinda can't wait!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
The amount of stuff you've swapped over it would have been easier to paint the silver one blue!

What rear brakes have you got on the blue one. With the wilwoods on the front do you find the rear needs upgrading as well?

I kind of agree there, just a shame the silver car is was more rotten! Plus the blue's a nicer colour IMO!
Not sure about the brakes yet, need to get it out on a track again and see how I get on. For road use they've been absolutely fine just using standard discs and pads but it might be another story on track so I'll have to wait and see!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love it Joey, enjoy the pics on Flickr! Probably my favourite MX5, most people don't seem to get them looking right but yours has everything i'd want.

If needs be just cut a flap in the silencer, re pack with some cheap stuff and weld shut. Done it before with good results to bring the noise back down

If needs be just cut a flap in the silencer, re pack with some cheap stuff and weld shut. Done it before with good results to bring the noise back down
You did that on your old MK1 didn't you? Think I remember. Just need to learn how to weld! Could save my arches/sills by myself too

Well, it was all going quite nicely. Got the engine going, full of fluids, 6 speed working fine... Then it started steaming. Turned out a small coolant line coming off the thermostat housing had been cut up by the water pump pulley. Not an issue, I've got a spare, pop that on, cable tie it out the way, slosh some more coolant in, problem solved!

Or so I thought. The new engine had a new cambelt kit, water pump tensioners etc around 6 months ago. Unfortunately it appears the water pump doesn't like water, and because the split hose emptied about 10 litres onto it, I ran into a little issue this afternoon...

19222845948_1c0843267e_b.jpg

19222844508_7cf1c7d602_z.jpg

Water pump seized, almost took the aux belt out with it. So that was fun.

19222845488_b576951d06_b.jpg

So it's going to be £55 for a new water pump and £103 for a cambelt kit. And I'm not sure I can be arsed fitting it... Ugh!

So just to keep this going, I found the cause of my breakdown... A nut in the coolant.

19916812685_be416f8b3a_b.jpg

Don't know how it got there, but it completely ruined the water pump!

19890591466_f1b131b90d_b.jpg

With that swapped out, it's been fine. Makes a bit of a weird noise at about 3250rpm but I think I'm going to put it down to the insides of the silenced decat being destroyed by flames!

I then rebuilt the gear knob out of the six speed. Different size to the 5 speed so annoyingly I couldn't carry bits across

19728822860_e0528a32ef_z.jpg

And then at the weekend I fitted an "Exhintake" cam. Which is essentially where you take a 1.8 exhaust cam, chop off the end where the cam angle sensor attaches and pop it in the intake side.
Had to redrill the cam gear, but I eventually want some adjustable cam gears to better tune it.

19730169529_ae274a27bf_z.jpg

And then finally I put in an order with DanSTengineering for some throttle body bits. I was meant to be buying turbo bits, but the guy still isn't taking orders for exhaust manifolds and I'm getting bored waiting!
£320 for an inlet manifold, trumpets, throttle cable and silicone pipe. Plus about £60 for second hand GSXR throttle bodies. Should make for a fun car!

19921915621_ef33261ace_b.jpg

19296155973_5bbfcc82a5_z.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
I'd love to build a Mk1.2.5
Take a Mk.1, fill it with 6-speed, S-VT engine and the facelift MK.2 interior.

But take a mk.1 to refit it with Mk.1.....sir, you've got far too much time on your hands :)

Luckily, going by that post of ITB's, you're doing it right.

IN fact, between you and @Euan94, you've got the "PROPER" power mods sorted. :D

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
This is going to be interesting! I really like what you have done with this.

I also may be in touch about the cage you have on nutz this weekend :)